Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Is the Mustang in Trouble w/advent of NewCamaro

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/06, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have owned a mustang since I was 16. I have recently come across the pics of the new concept camaro. I have not had the time to really read the literature out there regarding this new car, and I am going to make the inference that this new machine is going to produce some mega HP, surpassing the GT. IN other words, the camaro z28 will surpass the GT (these two have always been competitors) in terms of power and performace. I think this camaro will attract new types of buyers. The sales may even squash mustang sales. I am not sure of this, however. Mustang will have to add some more bells and whistles to keep up with camaro sales. I personally have not been terribly impressed with the new stang and that is why I still have my 01 GT, and have not purchased the 05 model. I am waiting for something to really catch my attention. What are your thoughts on the venerable mustang versus the new camaro? And for those of you who are going to censure me for starting this polemic, I am simply wanting to hear some opinions from Mustang enthusiast such as myself.
Old 1/20/06, 02:57 PM

Come on Man...

The Camaro is a few years off. The Camaro is also a concept. Concepts always have 1 gazilion HP engines and dope-hiney 25 inch wheels on them. I'm sure the production version will be different. Do I worry about the Mustang's fate? No. Not in the least bit.

Competition is good. It keeps the designers thinking, busy and creative. If there was no competition, we'd still be driving Mustang IIs. Not that there's any thing wrong with that... (You know there is!)
Old 1/20/06, 03:16 PM
GT Member

Mustang sales have always beaten the Camaro's. Let's not jump to conclusions, it's still very much a concept car. And if the Camaro is more powerful, Ford will just have to come out with a new Mach 1, won't they... Maybe with the 5.4 breathing through the hood...

You should test drive an 06 stang. The 01 GT is a very nice car, but the 2005+ is a very different animal and you won't be disappointed.
Old 1/20/06, 03:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Horse power doesn't mean much when comparing the Mustang and Camaro. The Stang has been the underdog in that arena since the LT1, but the Stang has just about always out sold both the Slowmaro and Fire Chicken combined. You have to remenber that it a GM which usually means crappy interior and funky ergonomics. I welcome the competition, it means Ford can not rest on its laurals.
Old 1/20/06, 03:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

The Camaro and Firebird both had more HP/Performance than the Mustang GT in their final gasping years of production. Didn't seem to help save them. Mustang sales outpaced the combined sales of the two F-bodied pony cars. Ford was not worried then, and I doubt they will be worried if or when the new (ugly) Camaro gets built. Same with the Challenger. Let the HP freaks pay through the nose for their (more than any sane person needs) powerful engine. The Mustang will still be the bang-for-the-buck leader. My .02
Old 1/20/06, 03:37 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Mustang has nothing to worry about. The camaro has had more power for over a decade but that never stops the Mustang sales. The mustang is the peoples car.

And the camaros mullet reputation scares off a lot of buyers.
Old 1/20/06, 03:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

When it's all said and done Mustang fans are Mustang fans and Camaro fans are Camaro fans. Camaro fans haven't been running in to buy Mustangs, they've been waiting and praying. I don't think one effects the other a whole lot.
Old 1/20/06, 03:57 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The answer is no.
Old 1/20/06, 04:00 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
A Z28 would likely compete with the GT500 in performance as well as price. If the POS GTO's price tag is $35K it is very doubtful a new designed Camaro with the Z28 option will be offered at a $30K unless GM decides to offer employee pricing.
Old 1/20/06, 04:04 PM
V6 Member

Not to mention the fact that since the camero is several years off you can bet ford will up the HP in the future and so HP will not be as big of an issue as you may think when that time actually comes.
Old 1/20/06, 04:07 PM
GT Member

I'm sure the Mustang will hold its own against sales of a new Camaro. But isn't this great to be in a new muscle car era?

The more options on the market, the better for the car fans.
Old 1/20/06, 04:12 PM
Cam Tease

How do you figure the GTO as a POS? Your posts are usually so valid...I'm very disappointed in you...jk. But really?
Old 1/20/06, 04:28 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
It's clumsy, ugly, and you can use the dash as a picnic table. But I do like the drivetrain.
Old 1/20/06, 04:51 PM
FR500 Member

No, unless GM really gets its crap together on this one. I may be tempted to buy one if they can solve their ergonomics and quality control issues. Also got to clean up the front and rear ends (the only Camaro I like in the looks department was the 1st gen.) Given GM's track record, only time will tell. That being said, I've always preferred the Mustang - the original and (still) the best.
Old 1/20/06, 07:34 PM
Cobra Member

I welcome a Camero and Challanger, rice has been on sale much too long in this Country! Bring them on, bring back the good old days. Everything old is new again! As far hurting Mustang sales, never did, never will.
Old 1/20/06, 08:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Badsnke98@January 20, 2006, 10:37 PM
I welcome a Camero and Challanger, rice has been on sale much too long in this Country! Bring them on, bring back the good old days. Everything old is new again! As far hurting Mustang sales, never did, never will.
Well said. And if they're lucky, maybe by 2007. Most probably a 2009 entry in late 08 for actual production vehicles for sale. Then, they will do the same thing they all do. enter a base model, add some flair, but hold out the real performance package for yet another year.

Mustang, worry? NOT!!!
Old 1/20/06, 08:58 PM
Cobra Member

Great points all. I have to agree, a concept is exactly that. A could be of possibilities. By the time the Camaro and Challenger come out, there may be a BOSS or Mach I to deal with them. I love my stang, I'm ridin with the pack on this one.
Old 1/20/06, 09:02 PM

Great comments and feedback gents. I too believe that the camaro will be for its fans. We stangers are darn loyal. I also believe that the new camaro is good in the sense that Ford will step it up a bit in terms of overall performance and aesthetics (e.g., bring back the mach 1 and other limited editions). Yes, I am sure that the camaro will have more HP, but as already stated, camaro's ergonomics, aesthetics have always been lousy relative to the stang's. I am going to get me a new stanger in a few years, and i am going to keep my 01. I should have kept my 92 LX 5.0 thanks
Old 1/20/06, 10:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nah...I'd worry more about GM still being around in a couple of years.

Seriously, can they afford the Camaro if it's a sales flop like the GTO?
Old 1/20/06, 11:12 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Camaro was always better than Mustang in terms of power and performace. But it was never more popular and it will never be.

Quick Reply: Is the Mustang in Trouble w/advent of NewCamaro