Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Mustang GT supercharged or gt 500 1/4 mile-0to60mph?

Search this Thread

Old 1/1/07, 08:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow
that car runs fast!

which is the life expectancy of a car with a supercharger like that?
If I install one it would be on the lower HP range, because it is my everyday car,
question for guys that have superchargers installed:
how much should I expect to pay for an installed supercharger a twin screw and a centrifugal??
which one would be friendlyer with the motor on a daily basis?
I am not much into 1/4 mile, but it is good to know you are driving a mean machine.
Old 1/1/07, 08:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PATAN
wow
that car runs fast!

which is the life expectancy of a car with a supercharger like that?
If I install one it would be on the lower HP range, because it is my everyday car,
question for guys that have superchargers installed:
how much should I expect to pay for an installed supercharger a twin screw and a centrifugal??
which one would be friendlyer with the motor on a daily basis?
I am not much into 1/4 mile, but it is good to know you are driving a mean machine.
if your not into the 1/4 mile stick with a twin screw. a centri works like a turbo, only belt driven, you dont get power till you build up your rpms. greatfor track but useless on street.

centri installs are very intrusive and require a lot of moving things around, cutting and shortening hoses and wires and all in all is a ton more work. it took 3 of us almsot 40 hours to do the vortech install. It took just me 12 hours to do my KB install

Any twin screw will suffice. The most complete kit out there is the whipple. it comes with the spark plugs and with a fuel system.

The KB is complete except for the spark plugs

The saleen is a good unit as well but yeilds low poer unless you buy the JDM stage 2 kit to go along with it.

Twin screw installs are easy and straighfoward. they require little modification to the cars existing systems compared to the centri units.

A twin screw can be driven liek there is no SC there you its easy to control and handle.
Old 1/2/07, 12:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Ok, so twin screw then for street fun.
whipple or kenne bell??
what would be the price of one installed?
I really don't care about the look like chrome and stuff, the simpler it looks the meaner and cheaper right?
Thanks for the answer, it helps a lot.
I think by the mid year I might be in position to do it.
I already have a c&l racer cai with torque tune from bamachips, I will need a new CAI correct?
Thanks again for all the answers guys!
Old 1/2/07, 06:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PATAN
Ok, so twin screw then for street fun.
whipple or kenne bell??
what would be the price of one installed?
I really don't care about the look like chrome and stuff, the simpler it looks the meaner and cheaper right?
Thanks for the answer, it helps a lot.
I think by the mid year I might be in position to do it.
I already have a c&l racer cai with torque tune from bamachips, I will need a new CAI correct?
Thanks again for all the answers guys!
Either Whipple or KB are great systems, and you'll be very happy with either.

Goods:
Whipple has the GT500 pump and extra Fuel Pump module, comes with the HTO spark plugs, and it was designed in conjunction with Ford Racing and looks like it came stock on the car.

Others: Whipple costs more than the KB, and right now the Ford Flash tool is not available, and you have to send your PCM into them to get it flashed. Some have reported the Whipple tune runs lean, car pings, and others have had difficutly when trying to modify the Whipple tune (computer locked up, car wouldn't run) and the PCM had to be sent to Whipple a second time to reflash it. Tech support from Whipple is reported to be poor. And some have had trouble unlocking the computer to get a custome tune loaded, or even putting in a new radio (long story there).

Kenne Bell:
Goods:
Bigger than the Whipple, 2.6L compared to 2.3L. Supercharger works smarter not harder, more boost from less RPM's, more efficient, less heat for same amount of power. Bigger maximum HP potential up to 25 psi.
KB takes the inlet air temperature AFTER the air goes through the S/C and gets heated up, thus the most accurate info going into you computer. Whipple reads the temp way up by the air filter.
KB is billet aluminum, which is stronger than cast (Whipple, Saleen)
KB is a little cheaper
KB has a true cold air intake, sucking air from outside the engine compartment.
Comes with an SCT Xcal1, which just about every reputable tuner in the country can custome dyno tune and tweak with ease. (although I prefer the Xcal2, the Xcal1 will load the tune just as easy)

Others:
Got to get your own spark plugs, but there is only one choice, Autolite HTO's, and you can find them for 50-80 bucks.
Comes with a Kenne Bell Boost a Pump, which is good to over 500 hp, but not as good as the GT500 pump.

As far as sound, the Whipple is louder, with that slide whistle sound. The KB will get louder the more boost you put on it, but with only 8psi, it's pretty quite. (especially compared to a roots)

But, do a search, and form you own opinion. I was going to get a Whipple because of the stock look, but basically couldn't see spending more for a smaller supercharger with a poorer design (cold air intake, IAT sensor location, billet construction, etc).

Now, back to the original discussion about getting a S/C Mustang GT or the GT500. If you can get a good deal on a GT500, get that. Much more potential and much better starting platform since it has a bigger engine, already has a supercharger, 6 speed tranny, and already has better wheels, tires, brakes, supension, interior, and a better looking nose and tail (IMO) and a better resale value and they are rarer and have a more "cool" affect pulling into the local car club hangout / car show.

I'm enjoying the heck out of modding mine. I've learned a LOT about the S197 over the past year, and it's good to look at your car and know you did all the work yourself. The only thing that I had someone else do was the custome dyno tune and tint the windows. It's a great sense of accomplishment. For a dumb guy like me, anyway.
Old 1/3/07, 06:46 AM
Bullitt Member

great, thanks a lot for all that info, those things that are written nowhere nn the manuals , like headaches with locked computers and what really comes and is useful on each S/C is the real useful info, for what it looks like, the KB might be the best option of all.
Thanks for the information and research!
Old 1/3/07, 07:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
centri installs are very intrusive and require a lot of moving things around, cutting and shortening hoses and wires and all in all is a ton more work. it took 3 of us almost 40 hours to do the vortech install. It took just me 12 hours to do my KB install

WOW 05+ installs are tough, it usually takes me 5 hours for a SN 95 install.

A twin screw can be driven like there is no SC there you its easy to control and handle.

Until you get caught in the rain!! Then it is easy to put in the ditch. I think Centrifuge SC’s are better for the street (and I have one of each) because if you drive it easy it is just like stock, whereas a Roots/Twin Screw deliver a lot of torque at low rpm’s which can get you in trouble on a “low traction” surface.