Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

In the market

Old 7/5/12, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the market

I this October I am going to be purchasing a stang gt. I am looking at the 88-93 hatchback or a 95-97 coupe must be a 5 speed minimal rust and so on so my question is first off what would you think is a Better buy I will be doing a hybrid cobra/saleen conversion with either style now I need to know what will I get. Ore for my money along with mod ability agility and so on I am in a car club I will be racing this car on the strip as well as show events and the famous Woodward dream cruise in metro Detroit.
Old 7/6/12, 12:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by exxodys
I this October I am going to be purchasing a stang gt. I am looking at the 88-93 hatchback or a 95-97 coupe must be a 5 speed minimal rust and so on so my question is first off what would you think is a Better buy I will be doing a hybrid cobra/saleen conversion with either style now I need to know what will I get. Ore for my money along with mod ability agility and so on I am in a car club I will be racing this car on the strip as well as show events and the famous Woodward dream cruise in metro Detroit.
96-98 Cobra because of the block being cast by Teksid and they are said to have been one of the best blocks in a Mustang. The least you would have is a great starting point for a motor. With a Fox Body, I know the Saleen intake manifolds are heavily sought after but I don't know how common they are to find because of the smaller volumes of Fox Bodies Saleen put out.. I reccomend finding a Mustang SSP if you're going the Fox route. Lighter shell which means faster acceleration down the strip, right?
Old 7/6/12, 12:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'd also wait for Skunk to chime in. That's a guy who is very acclimated with and islike Yoda of Fox Bodies.
Old 7/6/12, 03:33 AM

I'm not gonna be able to afford a cobra or saleen I'll only have 3grand so I'm doing a custom conversion making a custom saleen/cobra hybrid just deciding what I'll get best for the cash for show performance wait and agility
Old 7/6/12, 03:37 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Fox body is a good start. Just be patient shopping around. Easy to work on, tons of parts available to get it where you want. Good luck with the hunt.
Old 7/6/12, 04:31 AM

I have one by me in brownstown about 15 minutes away needs new rear ground effects which it comes with all new metal where it needed to be replaces mint interior 77,000 miles custom scoop( non functional) hood which I can fix five speed 5.0 it's a 91 hatch with a few quick mods headers flow master 40 series true duals cold air intake and a short throw he wants 3grand and it just needs the rear bumper replaced me making the hood functional and taking the car from burgundy and random piece primer grey to black but honestly before I painted it I'd be ordering the stalker body kit saleen wing and Mach 2 hood shave molding, locks and handles installing good pins then pain it onyx black do 3 thousand on car about 2 grand on parts and my friend and club member Whitcomb doing a custom killer paint job for a grand so after 6 grand it would be a killer runner.
Old 7/6/12, 04:53 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete07GT
That's a guy who is very acclimated with and islike Yoda of Fox Bodies.
true dat.
Old 7/6/12, 04:57 AM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I have one by me in brownstown about 15 minutes away needs new rear ground effects which it comes with all new metal where it needed to be replaces mint interior 77,000 miles custom scoop( non functional) hood which I can fix five speed 5.0 it's a 91 hatch with a few quick mods headers flow master 40 series true duals cold air intake and a short throw he wants 3grand and it just needs the rear bumper replaced me making the hood functional and taking the car from burgundy and random piece primer grey to black but honestly before I painted it I'd be ordering the stalker body kit saleen wing and Mach 2 hood shave molding, locks and handles installing good pins then pain it onyx black do 3 thousand on car about 2 grand on parts and my friend and club member Whitcomb doing a custom killer paint job for a grand so after 6 grand it would be a killer runner.
That sounds like it'd be cool to see
Old 7/6/12, 05:14 AM

But I still got some shoppng to do ill gave 3 grand mid October to buy stang then between then and march I'll be dropping the 3 grand into body then the intior than working on the engine fun for the next year
Old 7/6/12, 05:38 AM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Well can't wait to see what you end up doing
Old 7/6/12, 11:00 AM

If any of you live in the detroit area could always use someone to run project stuff with. And what not, all I know is I am gonna try and build a full custom cobra saleen car I want it to be a full one off custom build that can pass as a svt build
Old 7/6/12, 01:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm not gonna be able to afford a cobra or saleen I'll only have 3grand so I'm doing a custom conversion making a custom saleen/cobra hybrid just deciding what I'll get best for the cash for show performance wait and agility
The Mustang SSP shell is an awesome find if you come across one. I didn't mean to imply you should buy a Saleen, just try and find the intake manifold for the Windsor is all. If you can come across a great deal on a 96-98 Cobra Motor, ****** it up and I think it can be mated to 4v heads of a later model year... Great power with the ability to withstand some decent improvements.
Old 7/6/12, 01:09 PM

Oh ok awesome thanks in hoping to meet my previous output in the 04 cobra at just over 800whp to the floor so we will see
Old 7/6/12, 01:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oh ok awesome thanks in hoping to meet my previous output in the 04 cobra at just over 800whp to the floor so we will see
Forced induction man, anything is possible with the right build and it's great to see Detroit blood staying true to American Muscle. Good luck man!
Old 7/6/12, 01:38 PM

Well all I know for the build

306 stroker
Trick flow dome top forged pistons
Keith black rings and bearings
Scat forged crank and I beans
Trick flow trusted wedge heads
Lunati thumper .500 lift kit
Comp cams roller rockers
Manley titanium valves
Dual roller timing
March under drive pulleys
Manley heat treated push rods
Bbk ssi-r intake (upper+lower plenum)
Bbk cold air intake
Bassani full length headers
Bassani 3inch Mandrel bent x-pipe
Bassani monster flow mufflers with side exit
Vortec v3 supercharger with after cooler
Tokico struts
Eibach pro kit springs
Hotchkis front and rear sway bars
All energy suspension bushings

That's the build plan so far almost a twin to the 04 but due to the fox body is smaller I'm hoping for it being quicker off the line and a bit more agile
Old 7/6/12, 01:43 PM

That's a nice list but the rear axle and suspension is gonna need some work on a fox. The problem will be locking that rear end down but still keeping the car streetable. Most fox builds with that kind of hp are usually good for just drag racing. Not the same animal as the cobras. Sounds like fun either way.
Old 7/6/12, 01:50 PM

There has to be away to keep it street able I know will be upgraded the axles rear end diffs along with heavy load springs in the rear I'll find away it will be a project but I'll figure it out I know I'll be putting upgraded nuckles mated with upgraded control arms aluminum driveshaft Baer pro touring big brake set up along with upper and lower strut tower front and rear along with weld in subframe connectors and a minimal but substantive welded cage
Old 7/6/12, 02:09 PM

Yeah but that little body just doesn't turn once you set it to go straight real fast. Street rod with a 4 link and mini tubs might be the closest way to do it. Gonma have to be a good set up 4 link though. The stock quad shocks are in the way of a really wide enough tire. Personally I would look real hard for a 05 if you want both.
Old 7/6/12, 02:11 PM

Maybe tone it down to 500whp then
Old 7/6/12, 02:21 PM

I've seen a couple terminator swapped fox bodies that are just awesome. Always a thought.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: In the market