Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Keep my 03 V6 or get an 04 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 10/17/04, 04:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know that since I'm posting this on a V8 forum, I know most of you will be biased and say get the GT, but I really want you guys/gals to be more open minded considering my siutation here.

Here goes.....I currently have an 03 Redfire V6 as my car. It is a daily driver that I use to school, work, and also to haul my friends around. I really like my car even though it is 2 slugs shy of having real power, but she does get me places pretty quickly. I know most of you would object and don't blame you, since V8 power is the only way to go and I did used to have an 87 5.0LX that I sold to get my 6. Yeah, I sometimes kick myself but, at the time, I needed a new car and needed it to be very reliable. My old LX had a 5.0 crate motor that my uncle dropped in about seven years ago and the car, if I remember correctly, had almost 150K miles. It was really beat up and worn out. I could have saved some money and gotten her fixed but at the time I didn't have a job and was still in high school (this was a little more than two years ago) and I needed a car that would be reliable for college and I wouldn't have to worry about any problems for a while. I wanted a new GT, but couldn't afford it then, I would have settled for a used one but my parents were insistent on me getting a new car, thus I had to settle for the 6. Anywho....it is a great daily commuter and I plan on doing some mods to give it a bit more kick, but still want to leave some good mileage without putting a blower. If I do get a GT i'll just put a few bolt on mods (CAI, exhaust, lowering springs, etc).

Lately, though, now that the 05 is coming and it seems like everyone is waiting to get it, there are a lot of left over 04's on dealer lots. This is also making me want to consider getting a new stang, cuz they are becoming cheaper. I would like to have a Cobra some day, but even 04's are still pricey, so I'll have to settle for a GT for now. But....I am at a dilema where I don't know if I should keep my six and wait a couple years for the 07 Cobra or if I should trade it in for an 04 GT. Either way, I want v8 power and I would end up with a new Cobra in the end, no matter what the out come is, but which is better in the meantime? Just be open minded.

BTW....I am still going to keep my mustang, either it be my V6 or a GT, so when I get my Cobra in a few years, after I graduate college and pay off the current car, I'll end up with 2 mustangs....One for work and one for play!
Old 10/17/04, 05:25 PM

Well it depends on if how much negative equity you have in your V6. My 2002 V6 premium coupe had negative equity in it, but with Ford's great 3k rebate and a decent down payment I was able to trade it in for a 2004 GT after 2 1/2 years.

Im not sure what rate you have but heres what happened to me. I tried to trade my 2002 for a 2001 GT 12 months after I bought her. She had 6k miles and was in imaculate shape. They (Ford) dealers would only give me 12,500 for it. I realize I was trying to buy a used car, but I figured I would have gotten more trade amount for it. So I only drove the stang to work and that was it. It stayed parked all weekend. I traded it in with 20,500 miles.

I loved my V6 but I have ALWAYS WANTED a GT. After being patient for 2 1/2 years I was rewarded. The 2004's are nice, and I'm not sure I like the 2005's
so I went for it!

Cheers!
Old 10/17/04, 05:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

I figured that. I've had my six since Sept. 02 when the 03's first started coming onto dealer lots and since then I've accumulated more than 45K miles on her. She's still in great condition. I keep her well maintained, clean/wash her almost every week or two, and I just got new rubber (tires) a month ago. But I know the dealers would try to rape me no matter what.
Old 10/17/04, 07:11 PM

The only problem I would see in switching is insurance would go up for having a V8.
Old 10/18/04, 08:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Atleast give it a few weeks to see how you feel about the 05 body style in person and not just in photos. Don't rush into an 04 then kick yourself for not waiting. You already have the car, so all your concerned about is power. Spend 500 bucks and put nitrous on it while you wait.
Old 10/21/04, 09:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

yeah, right now no matter what you wont get much for your V6. alot of people are trying to get rid of theirs for the 05. so the market is going to be flooded. which will bring the prices way down. if you can get a good deal for your car. and get a good rate and mark down on the 04 GT i say go for it. and the insurance difference between the V6 ang GT shouldnt be much. i pay 5 bucks more a month for the 04Gt then the V6 i have a couple years ago. and as long as you are happy with your decision thats all that matters

oh and i finally got to see an 05 in person. Sadler Ford in Emporia VA has a Torch Red GT. man it looks SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better in person. the lines are just amazing in real life. they dont stand out in the pics very well. and the details are top notch
Old 10/22/04, 09:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

I actually got to talk to a dealer yesterday afternoon and he said he'll give me 12K for the V6. That same dealer has a sweet deal on a few 04 GT's where they've got a 2K rebate and also 5K off MSRP, so then the GT would only cost me about 14K instead of 21K, but with taxes and all that other stuff, I expect to pay at least 16.5K-17K. Since a friend of mine actually works at the dealer, he said he'll try to work something out so it should even be sweeter than I thought!

I do realize that insurance will be a bit higher, but I'm not really concerned with it now since my mom pays for the our family so it's not really of concern and I'm sure it won't be much of a headache for her either.

I haven't had a chance to sit in an 05 yet, which is exactly what I'm gonna do this weekend, since they are already starting to appear in dealers in San Diego, so I'll be goin mustang hunting this weekend.

BTW....for those of you that might have gotten confused and thought different.....I plan on keeping the V6 or the GT, even when I get the 07 Cobra, so I'll be driving 2 mustangs to play with!
Old 10/22/04, 09:40 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Moving this to Which Is Better.
Old 11/13/04, 08:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Anybody else care to provide some useful input?
Old 11/17/04, 03:51 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
hmmm i'd go for the 07 bro. but thats just me. the only downside is that u aint gonna get squat for the V6 in 07. but then again, you can't get much for em now...
Old 11/20/04, 06:57 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Getting a new '04 to trade it in two years would mean a large depreciation on it in addition to the one on your '03. IMO it would be best to trade once rather than twice. Mustangs are great but not when it comes to holding value. Also, buying late in the summer is best when prices are close to invoice and large rebates are usually available. That can mean a $4 -5K savings. Another item to consider the possibility of special editions Ford might bring out.
Old 12/4/05, 11:24 AM
Cam Tease

Well I WAS going to offer some helpful insight until I read that last post that stole my advice...jk...but really...I was gonna say that.
Old 12/30/05, 09:03 AM
GTR Member

I say buy an 03 cobra, they are only 20k right now, but if that is out of your price range, go for the GT, it'll be worth it.
Old 12/30/05, 09:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

No doubt, if you can find an '03 or '04 Cobra for a good price, I'd grab one of those.

Also the V6s will depreciate quicker during the 4th & 5th years of ownership, so if you're going to dump it, again depending on negative equity, do it soon.
Old 12/30/05, 10:37 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You guys are replying to a post over a year old... lol
Old 12/30/05, 11:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Holy crap! That shows how awake I am today... Thanks for pointing out what should be terribly obvious, Chris!