Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

GTO sales

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/05, 08:31 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, according to AutoWeek, GM hopes to sell as many as 12,000 to 14,000 GTO's this year. Oh boy. I bet Ford could sell that many Mustang GT's in two months if they had enough V8's.
Old 6/14/05, 08:31 AM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
They sell that many Mustangs in ONE month.

Last month, consumers bought 19,559 Mustangs. The Mustang is averaging about 15,455 sales a month this year.
Old 6/14/05, 08:40 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW!!! I knew the numbers were low, but didn't think they were that low!!!
Old 6/14/05, 08:44 AM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
They only expect to sell that many because a train company bought several.

Train Company Buys 2005 GTOs
Old 6/14/05, 08:48 AM
Cobra R Member

lol, i remember that...
GM has found the perfect solution to its slumping sales.
Old 6/14/05, 08:56 AM
Cobra Member

this is a sad day in age for gm...
Old 6/14/05, 09:12 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Well, when they first launched the GTO, they wanted to sell 18,000 per year, so the numbers aren't that bad, it's not like they planned on selling 100,000 and fell well short.
Old 6/14/05, 09:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by GhostTX@June 14, 2005, 9:43 AM
WOW!!! I knew the numbers were low, but didn't think they were that low!!!
That's a 76% improvement over last year!
Old 6/14/05, 10:10 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I occasionally pass a lady in a yellow GTO on the way to work in the mornings - I'll say one thng about them - they definitely got the stance of the car right - sits low quite nice.......

Just last week I was at the pressure wash place about 20 minutes from my apt complex - I pull in an LOW AND BEHOLD - a rare occasion - a yellow GT with the upgrade wheels taking a bath!

So I take the slot next to him - another guy is talking to the GT owner and this guy (driving an old worn firebird) and I cross paths at the change machine - tells me "Sweet car - I was just telling that to the guy in the yellow and you pulled up!"

So as we talk, he says his wife recently bought an 05 GTO - said it had great engine and power - but the handling left alot to be desired and that it rattled like crazy. I was surprised as that's the first time I have talked to an owner - expected a glowing review....
Old 6/14/05, 10:18 AM
Bullitt Member

I never understand the likes of some of you guys mocking GM, and in particular the GTO.

It is in the BEST interest of all of us that GM or Chrysler has a successful Mustang counterpart.

If GM had a viable competitor to the '05 Mustang before it was launched, the '05 would've gotten a proper IRS and a real 6 speed gearbox that actually shifts smoothly.

As it stands now, the '05 Mustang has no real competition, and as such, Ford can nickle and dime us with substandard compenentry.
Old 6/14/05, 10:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

I drove an '04...had awsome power and acceleration, but the handling stinked.
Old 6/14/05, 10:38 AM
Cobra Member

I drove a GTO...it was awesome. I would have bought one hands down but for two things. I personally think it is ugly as sin, and it does not come in a convertible. Mehcanically and functionally, I liked it as much if not more than my mustang.
Old 6/14/05, 10:44 AM
Retired Tms Staff

I saw a yellow GTO last week. The guy was cruising down the street, probably doing 60kph in 2nd gear and just about everyone he passed yelled at him "Change gears". It was funny. Car did sound pretty good but would have sounded better if he wasn't cruising at 5,000 rpm
Old 6/14/05, 10:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Let me address some of these comments, as I own an 04 GTO. I paid $31,000 for my GTO, about $3-4000 more than a GT is going for. For that, I got a larger interior, nicer quality interior, 50 more hp, a 6 speed and an IRS, and I don't have to lower it like I will have to do with the Mustang. I also got the subdued styling. As far as the production numbers go, the original intent was low volume, 18,000 units max because thats all the assembly line in Australia could allocate to the GTO because they build a couple different models for Australia on their assembly line. Plus, this is not the car that GM wants the GTO to be. This was a "lets get started and get a few out there" kind of thing. I don't know that I agree with that plan, but its a start.

As far as the handling goes, it handles just fine. What you may not be used to is that the handling is more like a BMW or Mercedes. If you've ever driven one, you know what I'm talking about. They seem like they are soft, yet when pushed they stiffen up nicely. The other thing might be is that the steering might be just a bit slow. I think if they quickened that up just a bit that would help. I remember my F body Trans Am had great handling, but over any large bump the whole car jumped.
Old 6/14/05, 10:51 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Flyinlow@June 14, 2005, 10:50 AM
Let me address some of these comments, as I own an 04 GTO. I paid $31,000 for my GTO, about $3-4000 more than a GT is going for. For that, I got a larger interior, nicer quality interior, 50 more hp, a 6 speed and an IRS, and I don't have to lower it like I will have to do with the Mustang. I also got the subdued styling. As far as the production numbers go, the original intent was low volume, 18,000 units max because thats all the assembly line in Australia could allocate to the GTO because they build a couple different models for Australia on their assembly line. Plus, this is not the car that GM wants the GTO to be. This was a "lets get started and get a few out there" kind of thing. I don't know that I agree with that plan, but its a start.

As far as the handling goes, it handles just fine. What you may not be used to is that the handling is more like a BMW or Mercedes. If you've ever driven one, you know what I'm talking about. They seem like they are soft, yet when pushed they stiffen up nicely. The other thing might be is that the steering might be just a bit slow. I think if they quickened that up just a bit that would help. I remember my F body Trans Am had great handling, but over any large bump the whole car jumped.
Why won't they offer the GTO in a vert?!
Old 6/14/05, 11:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

My friend has an 04 GTO, its a nice car, but I hate the look of it personally. He did some mods to it, headers/exhaust/performance cam/pullys, sounds and runs real nice at 385rwhp. The only thing is with the exhaust it sounds like an old muscle car and with the cam it idles like an old muscle car, but the look just doesnt fit it
Old 6/14/05, 12:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its a very sad day for all us GTO lovers

Yes all 20 of them!

Old 6/14/05, 01:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Flyinlow@June 14, 2005, 10:50 AM

I would have gladly paid extra for at least the 6-speed. It would help the gas mileage situation out a little.
Old 6/14/05, 01:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Low prodcution models are built to test the waters and because a company, ie GM has less a financial stake in case it falls flat on its face.

Bottom line with GM and not so much Chrysler is they have to build a car that people want and can afford. It is these two factors that will drive the market.

I have to add my .02 on the GTO.
I have never driven one. I have never been in one.
I have seen a few.
I would not buy this car based on the styling and looks alone.

There is not one thing about that car that makes you go WOW.
I don't care what it has on the interior or under the hood.

Your losing a whole lot more than $4,000 when you buy one. A whole lot more.

Now thats my .02. If anyone wishes to buy one thats fine. To each his or her own. On the otherside, people feel the same way about the Mustang.
Old 6/14/05, 02:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

That was a good day for GM, sold more GTO's that day than all month.

Hope nobody was hurt.

Quick Reply: GTO sales