Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

fast but not that fast!

Search this Thread

Old 3/13/05, 10:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i finally hit 500 miles on the car so i thought i would start driving it a little harder to see what it would do and sad to say it didnt take long to get my hiney handed to me hahaha i am impressed that ford finally raised the hp on the mustangs but with out any upgrades they are still not in the same class as the camaro ss or the pontiacs

heres my story and its a quick one lol the other night i was running side by side with a trans am (2000 2001 or 2002) somewhere around those years and from a roll (about 50) we both took off and by the time we hit 135 or so he was a full car length and half on me , his was auto and mine being standard could have a little to do with it since i wasnt slamming the shifts really hard but i thought it would be closer then that oh well the new gt's smoke the poo out of imports hahahaha

just wanted to share my story thought you all might be bored and looking for something to read
Old 3/13/05, 10:22 PM
GT Member

What makes you think that his car was stock?

And it doesn't matter how fast your car is, if it ran 12's there is always someone that runs 11's and so on.
Old 3/13/05, 10:25 PM
FR500 Member

Next time go ahead and shift out of first gear
Old 3/13/05, 10:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

well i pulled over at the shell station with him and we talked for a bit about the 2 cars, and i know theres always going to be someone just a bit faster and honestly i didnt by the car because it was fast i just like the way it looks and the amount of power and performance you get for the price, but i have always loved the mustang alot more then the f bodys and if for just once ford would have out done chevy on the power side of things i would have loved it

i have a freind that is die hard chevy and he always talkes about how stock to stock the GT has never been faster or had more power then the z28 now im not sure if thats true but it sounds right to me and iw ish ford would have put about 360hp in the gt just once so it would blow the doors off the z28, and im not talking about cobra's or saleems's or roush stangs im just talkin stock gt that normal people could afford lol
Old 3/13/05, 10:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by wild stray@March 13, 2005, 11:28 PM
Next time go ahead and shift out of first gear

thats some funny poo right there

sounds like when i ran the scion tc the other day i was only in 2nd when he said he hit 4th and gave up
Old 3/13/05, 10:31 PM
FR500 Member

obviously u didnt see aprils issue of road and track. faster than u think perhaps u should read it before saying this. i hereby you
Old 3/13/05, 10:32 PM
GT Member

300 horsepower is nice, but there are a -lot- of fast cars on the road these days, imports and domestics alike. If you want to reliably be able to pull on most cars out there, you need to up the power level by at least 50%.

So I say get yourself a Whipple and have some fun .

Dave
Old 3/13/05, 10:39 PM
FR500 Member

yea but i think if the GT had 360hp then the price might be alittle too high for some of us. i think 320 would be nice but im in no way shape or form complaining because ford out-did chevy by far. yes chevy released a beautiful c6 and dodge did the viper but motor trend doesnt seem to let the mustangs 300hp stop it from winning the overall comparison of the 3. the cars faster than the mustangs definitely can walk the walk by being 'fast' but talking the talk?? most cars cant. because here, guys, ford produced an overall winner. the magazines have alot to say about this car. soo lol i wont mind if an SS pulls next to me id laugh because hey im not only in a beautiful new mustangs with the look to poo all over the camaro, but im driving a classic. lets face it they ruined the camaro

PS if the camaro's and firebirds were soo good and powerful, why dont they make them anymore. we wont get started about the GTO cuz they made a joke of it
Old 3/13/05, 10:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by RaGsHoCkEy88+March 13, 2005, 11:34 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RaGsHoCkEy88 @ March 13, 2005, 11:34 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>obviously u didnt see aprils issue of road and track. faster than u think perhaps u should read it before saying this. i hereby you
[/b]

sorry dont have time to read every report out there maybe you could enlighten us on what it said

<!--QuoteBegin-S197Cobra
@March 13, 2005, 11:35 PM
300 horsepower is nice, but there are a -lot- of fast cars on the road these days, imports and domestics alike. If you want to reliably be able to pull on most cars out there, you need to up the power level by at least 50%.

So I say get yourself a Whipple and have some fun .

Dave
[/quote]

i would love to but i want to keep it under warrenty cause i have a habit of wanting to get things fixed for free when they break lol and from what i hear you can only keep your warrenty if you super charge it through the dealership and i am not about to pay what they are asking ($6000 - $8000) so ill just keep it stock and not try to race anyone that i know has more power
Old 3/13/05, 10:44 PM
FR500 Member

i can give u alittle of the report. april issue of road and track compared 6 mustangs. one being a STOCK 2005 mustang GT premium manual. 0-60 in 4.9 seconds and 1/4th mile of 13.5

now please tell me the numbers for a completely stock mustang let alone its price, arent baffling. definitely tells me something.
Old 3/13/05, 10:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

ya dont get me wrong i love the car and it hink for the price it cant be beat from any auto maker but as far straight power and speed there not on the same level as the cars mentions which have been there closest comp. over the years ya know

and i see what your saying about the other aspects of the car cause you get more class and better looks then any car i can think of under 50 grand so that in its self says alot to me

i just wanted to share my story about the race thats all ,trust me i would keep my car over just about any f body out there
Old 3/13/05, 10:56 PM
FR500 Member

stock to stock the GT has never been faster or had more power then the z28 now im not sure if thats true but it sounds right to me and iw ish ford would have put about 360hp in the gt just once so it would blow the doors off the z28, and im not talking about cobra's or saleems's or roush stangs im just talkin stock gt that normal people could afford lol

[/quote]

I hear where you're coming from about Ford not wanting to "step up to the bat", Ford vs Chevy. But doesn't the TransAm have a 400 ci engine and the SS come stock with 345 hp? The Stang is 281 cu in and steps out quite nicely, but it's not in the same class. And if they gave you 360 hp stock and you modded it and beat a SS, what sport would be in that? Mod your 281 a little, take down the SS and
Old 3/13/05, 11:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

anyone know what i can do to up the power and keep my warrenty?

ford is bad about voiding warrenty's for adding anything to your car
Old 3/14/05, 12:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by wild stray@March 13, 2005, 11:59 PM
But doesn't the TransAm have a 400 ci engine and the SS come stock with 345 hp? The Stang is 281 cu in and steps out quite nicely, but it's not in the same class. And if they gave you 360 hp stock and you modded it and beat a SS, what sport would be in that? Mod your 281 a little, take down the SS and
From 98 on up the TA's and Z28s both had gen III Chevy small blocks (346 ci LS1). The SS (Camaro) and WS-6(TA), though rated slightly higher than their non ram-air counterparts, have actually proven to be no more powerful or faster in real world testing. All LS1 equipped f-bodies have the same engine that is in the C5, good for about 350hp and 350tq. The 01/02 models were particularly strong, as they had the LS6 intake. Losing by only a car length in a run up to 135 is VERY respectable, as those cars are absolute demons up top. I've had no problem hitting close to 160 in one.
Old 3/14/05, 12:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

ya if we would have continued he would have just kept leaving me and for some reason my car didnt feel very stable at that speed so i let off

i started to get some front end vibration after about 120mph not sure if thats normal or not
Old 3/14/05, 12:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by vc4life@March 14, 2005, 1:16 AM
ya if we would have continued he would have just kept leaving me and for some reason my car didnt feel very stable at that speed so i let off

i started to get some front end vibration after about 120mph not sure if thats normal or not
I know you probably don't want to hear this but it is probably your rims. Your rims also had a part in your race. It is harder to launch and it affects your whole pull. Just my 2 cents.
Old 3/14/05, 12:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by stoic21+March 14, 2005, 1:36 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stoic21 @ March 14, 2005, 1:36 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-vc4life@March 14, 2005, 1:16 AM

I know you probably don't want to hear this but it is probably your rims. Your rims also had a part in your race. It is harder to launch and it affects your whole pull. Just my 2 cents.
[/b][/quote]

if ya didn't have those 22's then you would've owned him! That is why I would never go more than 19's. :nono:
Old 3/14/05, 01:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

im glad you guys think it was the wheels but i hadnt put them on yet when we raced so try again.

now that we know its not the wheels making it feel loose anyone else have an idea why?
Old 3/14/05, 01:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by vc4life@March 14, 2005, 2:21 AM
im glad you guys think it was the wheels but i hadnt put them on yet when we raced so try again.

now that we know its not the wheels making it feel loose anyone else have an idea why?

some people can't take a joke.

Anyways you have to consider the fact that the TA you race might not be stock at all. If the race were stock to stock, then you might have been even with him. Even though his car has more horsepower, his car also weighs more because of the increased engine displacement he has, so I think you would've been on par with him, since you car weighs less and has a higher gear ratio. So I really think it comes down to who is a better driver in this case.
Old 3/14/05, 02:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

its not that i cant take a joke i was just saying i didnt have the wheels on yet cause i know people told me they would slow me down and im sure there right but i just wanted to make it clear that i still was running the factory 17's

anyway from what the guy told me the car was stock it didnt even have exhaust or intake on it

your right about the driver though cause like i said he was auto and all he had to do is put his foot down and i will be the first to admit im not a pro at driving a standard and i also didnt want to try shifting to hard or dumping the clutch or anything so maybe it was my fault i lost and maybe not

but i would still like to know why it would shake at high speed

on a side note the hood didnt fly off at 135 and i have heard about hoods on these cars flying off at high speeds lol

Quick Reply: fast but not that fast!