Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Drove a 350z, Mazdaspeed3, and RX8

Search this Thread

Old 2/3/08, 10:55 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove a 350z, Mazdaspeed3, and RX8

Went test driving with a buddy of mine that was looking for a new car. I drove all 3 since I have full coverage insurance.

350z: This car had me a bit worried that it would be a close race if I ever lined up next to one in my Mustang. After driving it, I realize it would be left behind pretty easily. It does have a nice and responsive feel to the acceleration, and the torque feels pretty good for a V6. I didn't like the plastic fantastic interior, along with the vibrating shifter (nothing between the powertrain here). The 350 model was the slightly better than base version (i'm not sure of all the different model names).

Mazdaspeed 3: This car was badass. This was my favorite of the bunch, also. I've never driven a turbo car, but the torque this thing had was awesome. I actually raced a car on the freeway while test driving. lol. I raced a modified Celica GT-S and slightly pulled him shifting into 4th. I found shifting earlier in this car (before redline) allowed it to pull harder because of the surplus torque down low (280ish ft. lbs. I think?). If I suddenly find myself with a family, I'd trade my 'Stang for this bad boy. Nice interior and plenty of room. The suspension is great, also. I'd definitely have to delete the mufflers/resonators to give it a little growl as this is the most quiet, fast vehicle I've ever driven.

RX-8: The interior is pretty nice... This thing is so slow it's a shame. That's about all I need to say about this thing. Boring.

Oh, btw. My friend ended up buying a Scion TC as the others payments were going to be a little too high for his likings. He plans to SC it soon.
Old 2/3/08, 10:59 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
no pics? :P

I've been wanting to test out all of the above. The mazdas moreso than the nissan though
Old 2/4/08, 08:06 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Scion TC after driving those cars.
Old 2/4/08, 11:17 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 2/4/08, 02:16 PM
Cobra Member

Ive been thinkin about getting a MS3 for my next car too... not quite a sleeper, but at least it should be a little less suspicious, and get more than 15mpg.

I better not end up with a TC too
Old 2/4/08, 02:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i like the ms3 too... nice car and pretty quick

i really like the rx-8

are they really that slow? i thought they were pretty quick from what i have heard, i havent test driven one yet.
Old 2/4/08, 04:26 PM

The MS3 really seems to be a car that hits the sweetspot of its type, just one of those cars where everything seems to just come together beautifully. While not Mustang GT fast in the straights of course, but should one need a practical daily driver to haul kids or whatever, this car should be on any enthusiasts very short list.

The RX-8s are more sublime cars than the Stangs, it too obviously without the blunt instrument V8 thrust of a Stang, but with a far more refined and capable chassis that can eek out far more per ponies worth of speed, not to mention the more subtle enjoyments of exquisite balance, feedback and compliance. Mazda does talk about a somewhat larger DI rotary motor, and I think the later will really make it come alive in the future. Now about those weird looks...perhaps the next full redo...

The 350Z seems to split the difference between the two, with power close to that of a Stang, albeit further up the rev band, but with handling a bit closer to the agile RX-8. The styling's a bit pudgy in the rear for my tastes and the interior quality and tactile feel might surpass a Stang's, but only by a little and neither hews to any high standards in the grand scheme of things. I'm sure the Z will be in for a redo before long, presumably addressing the aforementioned weak points and likely sporting the 3.7 found in the Infiniti G Coupe.

Alas, all very good cars in their own unique ways, which in itself is a great thing (would kind of suck if the automotive performance menu only offered a few hamburgers). Now with the Camaro and Challenger ready to burst onto the performance coupe scene, not to mention a refreshed Stang back from the spa in '09, these are good times to be a car buff.
Old 2/5/08, 10:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've always wanted to drive an MS3. I really like the looks of the hatchback Mazda3 to begin with, then add all that power, plus a really nice interior (especially for the price), and it sounds like a winning combination to me.

I used to own a 350Z and I still miss it. Great car. The RX-8 though... just weak
Old 2/5/08, 09:41 PM
FR500 Member

Your comparo confirms that I too would rather have the MS3 over the other two vehicles. Can someone please try dropping in the MS3's engine into a RX-8, disable the torque limiter, and up the boost? That would be interesting!
Old 2/5/08, 09:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I've driven an RX-8, and they are really easy and fun to drive....no, they arent really that quick (no torque) but you can let it SCREAM! easy shifts, comfy seats, and some pretty out of this word styling...I thought it was a neat little car.
Old 2/6/08, 12:14 AM
Team Mustang Source

My undrstanding of the Rotary engines are that unless you really let it scream in the RPM's department, you will be disappointed in the performance area. On the other hand, if you take it up to it's redline, you will be rewarded with a screaming 9K RPM much more interesting ride. Not saying it is the most powerful thing in the world, even at 9K....but you really have to push it up there to get all the available HP.
Old 2/6/08, 08:45 AM

Yeah, you really do have to rev the rotary to get any real performance out of it, but given the ease and ethereal smoothness of a rotary, that's not necessarily a negative but rather, an invitation to drive the wheee out of it. And the beautifully tuned and balanced chassis make it a delight to drive at whatever speed -- has a fairly decent and supple ride too for when you're not in 10/10ths mode. Certainly a very different approach to speed and performance driving than the broad-axe approach of a Stang, but very fun and rewarding none the less.
Old 2/6/08, 10:54 AM
Big Falken Tires

My buddy has a MazdaSpeed3 and lemme tell you if I was in the market, I wouldn't hesitate to grab one.

Comfortable, handles great, and really moves out in any gear. The thing is a dart on the highway.
Old 2/6/08, 05:07 PM

I have driven a speed3 and i was impressed but i think that if the car has a turbo it should put up a little more power. The speed6 is really sweet it has all wheel drive but if you want front wheel drive turo i would but a V tec civic and slap the same turbo on it that the speed3 has it will crush it. Honda makes an amazing little engine i used to own a 02 Acura RSX type S with the V tec it was a fun little car too bad honda gets a bad rep from all the riced civics and beaners they do make the best small engine if you ask me.
Old 2/8/08, 12:26 PM
Bullitt Member

my wife drives a 3 and the interior is just too small for us (both 6' tall) and our 19 month old son. we'll probably upgrade soon.

just an fyi.
Old 2/10/08, 11:22 PM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by 2REDSTANGS
I have driven a speed3 and i was impressed but i think that if the car has a turbo it should put up a little more power. The speed6 is really sweet it has all wheel drive but if you want front wheel drive turo i would but a V tec civic and slap the same turbo on it that the speed3 has it will crush it. Honda makes an amazing little engine i used to own a 02 Acura RSX type S with the V tec it was a fun little car too bad honda gets a bad rep from all the riced civics and beaners they do make the best small engine if you ask me.
Uhhh the Speed 6 can't hang with the Speed 3, all wheel drive or NOT

As far as slapping the same turbo in the Civic..... YEAH, umm with the tweaked suspension and the rest of the package you get with the Speed 3, its still the best deal. And you'd spend more retro-ing that turbo to fit on the Civic in order to prove the point.

Don't downplay the SPeed3 as it is amazing car, especially for its stickered price point
Old 2/11/08, 01:19 PM

The real appeal of the MS3 is that it is a very well integrated, balanced and refined package, not just some hotted up motor stuffed into an otherwise inadequate car. It is relatively easy to produce either a fast car or a daily car, but to make one that serves excellently in both realms is a real challenge, one the the MS3 well succeeds at.
Old 2/11/08, 07:47 PM
GT Member

Another point I would like to bring up about the RX-8 is one of the cars in the lot wouldn't even start! The one I ended up driving sputtered to life after 2 tries, but I was really turned off at a 1 and 2 year old car hardly starting... lol. I'm sure it's something to do with the rotary engine having to be warmed up or driven constantly, because I know the older RX-7s had a choke sequence they had to go through before driven. Something to that effect anyway.

Comparing a Honda vtec + turbo to the MS3 is a bit like comparing... well apples to oranges so I won't get into that. Haha. MS3 owns.
Old 2/12/08, 05:37 AM
Cobra R Member

I condone Scion TC purchases. I really kinda like that car.
Old 2/12/08, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Burke0011
Uhhh the Speed 6 can't hang with the Speed 3, all wheel drive or NOT

As far as slapping the same turbo in the Civic..... YEAH, umm with the tweaked suspension and the rest of the package you get with the Speed 3, its still the best deal. And you'd spend more retro-ing that turbo to fit on the Civic in order to prove the point.

Don't downplay the SPeed3 as it is amazing car, especially for its stickered price point
i look at potencial the speed 6 has more and it has more room inside, i have driven the speed 3 and i was semi impressed, but i could care less about refinment so if i wanted a rice burner for that much i would buy a 4 year old vtec civic and slap on a garret, not as refined but i dont care, also i think if you like the refinment the speed 6 you would like more, also in Minnesota all wheel drive is a big deal so even if its a little slower i could put up with that for the all wheel

Quick Reply: Drove a 350z, Mazdaspeed3, and RX8