Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Cold air i take brands

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/12, 07:52 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold air i take brands

Does the brand name cold air intake make a difference?
Old 6/14/12, 12:50 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 2_CW_2
Does the brand name cold air intake make a difference?

2_CW_2,

That is a very good question! Brand name doesn't necessarily mean one is better then the other but it is something to keep in mind. If you believe the saying " You get what you pay for " then it narrows your options down.

Personally I would lean towards an Airaid or JLT, they are reasonably priced and produce great power numbers!

This is just my personal opinion! To be honest I don't think you can really go wrong!

I hope this helps, Hit me up if you need further assistance man!

- Dan
Old 6/14/12, 05:49 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I wouldn't go for the cheapest thing you can find, but I wouldn't spend too much on one either. They don't really do that much. Worry more about what tune to get along with it, and less about the CAI.
Old 6/14/12, 05:57 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The tune seems to be the biggest factor, although airflow for the CAI may be a factor too, especially when your making major steam with your engine.

My favorites tend to be the FRPP CAIs, they have a very finished appearence (mainly the airbox) but are also saddled with a very safe tune.
Old 6/14/12, 05:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

All of the "high quality" CAI brands I've seen dynoed make within a horsepower or two of one another... I forget which one had the highest numbers, I want to say it was the steeda, but I could be wrong. Anyway, what's important to decide getting a "no-tune" CAI or a tune required CAI.

IMO a no tune intake is sort of in the same league as axle back exhaust, it's more a sound mod that a performance mod. You will gain a few HP with a no tune CAI, but nothing dramatic.

I have a Spectre CAI I bought used with a K&N filter because the spectre one was damaged. Spectre is a "cheap" no-tune intake brand that some people turn their noses up at but personally I'm pleased with it. I think it really dresses up the engine bay nicely, and it sounds really nice at WOT. It also has a removable insert so that when I get a tuner I can take out the insert and hopefully get some more noticeable performance gains.
Attached Thumbnails Cold air i take brands-image-1573488414.jpg  

Last edited by Kevin509; 6/14/12 at 06:01 PM.
Old 6/15/12, 11:21 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer

2_CW_2,

That is a very good question! Brand name doesn't necessarily mean one is better then the other but it is something to keep in mind. If you believe the saying " You get what you pay for " then it narrows your options down.

Personally I would lean towards an Airaid or JLT, they are reasonably priced and produce great power numbers!

This is just my personal opinion! To be honest I don't think you can really go wrong!

- Dan
Preciate it
Old 6/15/12, 11:22 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer

2_CW_2,

- Dan
I'm thinking about adding some power to my 4.6 what do you suggest??
Old 6/15/12, 11:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Higher priced brands seem to be better in the fit and finish category more than anything