Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Camaro SS vs 05-09 GT

Search this Thread

Old 9/28/09, 07:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Camaro SS vs 05-09 GT

We know that the '10 Mustang can hang and even some say is better than the new Camaro SS.
How do you guys think the 05-09 GT's compare to the SS?
Old 9/28/09, 09:37 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
No contest, GM benched the 05-09 S-197s
Old 9/29/09, 02:21 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I did well vs one.
Old 9/29/09, 06:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
add a intake and a tune to the 05 to 09 and they have more hp than the 10's do. The camaro would probably break something before it made it through the 1/4
Old 9/29/09, 08:40 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
I did well vs one.
Anything can happen at the track or on the street when the driver is an unkonwn quanity, but all things being equal a stock SS will eat a stock 05-09 GT alive in every measurable performance aspect.
Old 9/30/09, 01:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
Anything can happen at the track or on the street when the driver is an unkonwn quanity, but all things being equal a stock SS will eat a stock 05-09 GT alive in every measurable performance aspect.
Yeah, but it won't do it for very long! Something expensive is bound to break! And with today's high costs for new cars, and advances in metallurgy, there is NO excuse for ANY drivetrain part failing under whatever loads either designed or implied !

Last edited by red pony; 9/30/09 at 01:15 PM.
Old 9/30/09, 11:11 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by red pony
Yeah, but it won't do it for very long! Something expensive is bound to break! And with today's high costs for new cars, and advances in metallurgy, there is NO excuse for ANY drivetrain part failing under whatever loads either designed or implied !
We'll see, but it isn't isolated to GM either, Nissan and its GT-R had teething problems as well.

GMs transmission woes could have been a supplier side issue rather than a design fault (does anybody have a link to the actual reason the tremecs were breaking?) and thats not to say they should be let off the hook, but I don't see when the kinks are worked out it will be any less reliable.

One thing to keep in mind with the S-197 was Ford's absolute desire to have as trouble free an intro as they possibly could. I would think GM would have wanted the same, but there may have been different priorities at time? Anybody remeber the interior panel debacle???
Old 10/1/09, 03:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

It was GM who was at fault. They ordered a tranny with too low of a torque rating for the engine it was coupled to! But hey, better the tranny than the engine, right? The wrong tranny made the engine "appear" a bit more "durable" !
Old 12/24/09, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by red pony
It was GM who was at fault. They ordered a tranny with too low of a torque rating for the engine it was coupled to! But hey, better the tranny than the engine, right? The wrong tranny made the engine "appear" a bit more "durable" !
Actually the tranny's in the Camaro's are very good. There are numerous 500+rwhp Camaro's running around with no problems.
Old 12/24/09, 08:18 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bob

GMs transmission woes could have been a supplier side issue rather than a design fault (does anybody have a link to the actual reason the tremecs were breaking?) and thats not to say they should be let off the hook, but I don't see when the kinks are worked out it will be any less reliable.
Note Slims posts:

https://themustangsource.com/showthr...=camaro&page=2
Old 12/24/09, 09:04 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Charlie.
Old 12/26/09, 02:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The Camaro SS is a nice car. Quick too. But something is wrong when a solution is to put stick on weights on the rotors.
Old 12/26/09, 09:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Stock vs stock, SS. No contest.
Old 12/28/09, 02:39 PM

Absolutely the SS is better than the '05-09. Hence, the '10 Stang refresh and now, the '11 5.0 with proper six speed and Brembos (available). So now it'll be a much tougher question and with the '11, the balance may well be in the Mustang's favor. Do you think any of that would have happened with the Stang -- certainly the breadth and depth of the improvements not to mention how quickly they're being implemented -- without the Camaro breathing down its neck?

Of course, Chevy's not going to take all this lying down, so who knows what their rebuttal will be (more power yet, tightened up chassis tuning, something else?).
Old 12/28/09, 02:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
add a intake and a tune to the 05 to 09 and they have more hp than the 10's do. The camaro would probably break something before it made it through the 1/4
Sorry wish it was true, But theres noway in my opinon that could be possible..
Old 12/28/09, 07:13 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 825LTRGT
The Camaro SS is a nice car. Quick too. But something is wrong when a solution is to put stick on weights on the rotors.
I don't think GM wanted to delay the car any longer, hence the sticky weight fix for the squeal issue. Its a less than ideal fix, but how many times had GM been blasted for having a long in the tooth show and a bunch of mules.

Then again it could have been other things as well ranging from money woes to people within GM that just plain want to see the car fail so they can funally drive a stake through its heart and been done with it forever (and they are in there, hopefully the management shake up at GM is getting rid of these killjoys)
Old 12/28/09, 07:21 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
Of course, Chevy's not going to take all this lying down, so who knows what their rebuttal will be (more power yet, tightened up chassis tuning, something else?).
I think the next round from GM is going to be in the chassis department, it will produce the most visible gains for least amount of cash.

I'm on the fence about power for the standard car, The DI LSx V8's are supposedly good for another 50-75 more hp, but I remeber reading about insurance companies getting nervous about approaching that number (let alone public perception of a 475-500hp car - even if GM were to eek out another 4-5 mpg and it farted pure oxygen, 500hp screams gas guzzler).
Old 12/29/09, 09:35 AM

Agreed, the Camaro SS's weaker points are not its engine and power, it's got plenty already, but rather, a slightly soft chassis that could be a bit more communicative. As mentioned, a good round of chassis tuning could readily and cheaply fix that. Ford's taking the same approach with the Stang with an almost annual series of ever more effective chassis tuning upgrades starting from the Bullitt to the '10 refresh and now even more for '11.

I might expect Chevy then to probably do some requisite minor power tweaks -- an easy 10-20hp just to counter the 5.0 -- but to concentrate on chassis tuning and refinement and also minor overall refinements (CQ, materials, that sort of thing.). That and the usual color and trim tweaks. A Z/28 might also appear, but that will be more the Camaro halo model going against the GT500 rather than a bread and butter model.

Unfortunately for Chevy (and Dodge with the Challenger), their biggest weakness is their bigness. They are textbook examples of how even ostensibly superior chassis designs and mega-motors can have their effectiveness sapped by a couple of hundred pounds of lard. That problem won't be rectified until the next significant redesign of those two Clydesdalesque pony cars in, well, whenever. I think in the future you're going to see acceleration addressed from the other side of the power to weight ratio for a number of reason.

Last edited by rhumb; 12/29/09 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12/29/09, 02:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Some will tout the "stock vs. stock" superiority of the SS.

To which I say, is the ultimate in benchracing moronic philosophy.

Both cars offer a solid V8, which can be modified to go as fast as the owner could want, unless your name is John Force.

I think the choice between the two is based on personal preference.

I much prefer the Mustang.
Old 12/29/09, 02:43 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by exgto
Some will tout the "stock vs. stock" superiority of the SS.

To which I say, is the ultimate in benchracing moronic philosophy.

Both cars offer a solid V8, which can be modified to go as fast as the owner could want, unless your name is John Force.

I think the choice between the two is based on personal preference.

I much prefer the Mustang.
Yeah but... you have to have a benchmark somehow... I mean I feel the same way with superchargers... anybody can do that - so what? But what is the engine's N/A abilities?

Heck if I had all sorts of dough, I'd love to have all 3 - they're all pretty great in their own way. But since I can only pull one off, Bullitt it is...

Quick Reply: Camaro SS vs 05-09 GT