Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Camaro gone Bye Bye

Search this Thread

Old 7/28/05, 02:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I forget where I saw it, but the platform that the new Camaro was going to be built on has been taken off the design table and trashed. GM said they don't have a Platform that they want to build the new Camaro on. So it doesn't look like we will be seeing a Camaro anytime soon. Prob not even 08. They might just take a dated platform and build on there. which would stink. They need all new. But for right now the only thing that I can see coming in the near future to challenge the new Mustang is the Challenger. Which should be nice. I can't wait for the tests between the 2.

Has anybody else heard this, or am I wrong?
Old 7/28/05, 02:35 PM
Bullitt Member

i havent heard of that before but who knows
cool avatar too
Old 7/28/05, 02:38 PM
Bullitt Member

The challenger looks nice i know its prolly a photoshop but dam it looks mean.
Old 7/28/05, 03:27 PM
Cobra Member

An article in Motortrend confirms that the Camaro is dead.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...28536&hl=camaro
Old 7/28/05, 03:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
While at the airport yesterday I was browsing thru the car mags and one of them (Automobile I think) had an article that said GM was reconsidering doing the Camaro (along with a new MonteCarlo and Impala - all RWD). All because of the Mustang and Chrysler RWD craze.

But it could be more rumors too.
Old 7/28/05, 03:35 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're probably referring to the "Zeta" platform that GM killed. It was to be the next gen rear wheel drive platform for GM. There was no mention of a Camaro in the Zeta project, but it was the best hope for having a future Camaro.
Old 7/28/05, 03:49 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by gt5000@July 28, 2005, 4:41 PM
i thought this was the photoshop of our car(05 GT). lol it looks just like it, same front bumper and everything, i would hope it would look different than that cause we basically have that look already. you can prob make an 05 look just like that
-mike
Old 7/28/05, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by Gattguy47@July 28, 2005, 3:19 PM
So I forget where I saw it, but the platform that the new Camaro was going to be built on has been taken off the design table and trashed. GM said they don't have a Platform that they want to build the new Camaro on. So it doesn't look like we will be seeing a Camaro anytime soon. Prob not even 08. They might just take a dated platform and build on there. which would stink. They need all new. But for right now the only thing that I can see coming in the near future to challenge the new Mustang is the Challenger. Which should be nice. I can't wait for the tests between the 2.

Has anybody else heard this, or am I wrong?
heard this also and am waiting to see what the Challenger looks like. I know
one thing for sure if the new GTO or Dodge Charger looked like the style from
their glory days of the late 60's and early 70's I wouldn't be running into the house
everday to see if there is a message on a build date for my 06 GT. I still can't
believe that dodge and GM didn't see what a great success bringing back the retro
style of mustang was and built the GTO to resemble a bar of soap and a 4 door charger. 4 door? what's that about. Bring back the "GTO Judge"

Got bumped from 05 to 06
Reorder 6/29/05
DORA 7/134/05
Priority 12
Build date ?????

Hey Ford I thought I was supposed to get priority on building one for me
if I got bumped from 05 to 06. How come I see people ordering 06's and
having build dates already.
GEO>
Old 7/28/05, 03:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by gt5000@July 28, 2005, 2:41 PM
That Challenger is just a concept done by an individual and is not an official Dodge design, however - The Challenger itself is confirmed. It will be built on a shortened wheelbase 300/Charger platform and will be a coupe. Think "shorter, lighter Charger SRT-ish Coupe."

I wish they had chosen to do a 'Cuda instead of Challenger, but if it's going to look like a mini Charger then a Challenger was probably a better choice.

As for the Holden built Zeta platform, GM now says it was only postponed/delayed - possibly just for the fiscal year - not killed. Holden is still doing design work. Although the latest rumors are that it won't come as a Camaro, but will use one of the other brands. Nova and Chevelle have been mentioned (Chevelle most often).

There is no other rear-wheel drive plaform in GM for them to use really. You can't use Corvette, so the other option would be the Holden designed GTO. However, that doesn't really fit that space too well. They want something new, smaller, stiffer, lighter and more performance driven. That's Zeta I think.
Old 7/28/05, 04:03 PM
Bullitt Member

It was motortrend that had the article about the zeta being officially put to sleep. However, there is now rumblings that there will be new RWD cars built on a cheapened version of the sigma (cadillac) platform. Time will tell I guess.
Old 7/28/05, 04:10 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That and a Zeta-Lite platform.
We'll have to wait and see.

Red Planet from Z28Camaro (who works for GM) mentioned:

-You'll really really really want to be at NAIAS2006 (this being said to the Camaro faithful

Don't take rumour for truth.
Old 7/28/05, 04:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
I bid the Camaro farwell and welcome new "challengers"
Old 7/28/05, 04:24 PM
GT Member

I have to say that the photo of the Challenger, real or not, looks great. It's sad to know that with the restyling of the Mustang to the glory days, that Dodge and GM won't try to counter Ford with a decent looking muscle car stinks. I was just being born when the muscle car era was coming to a close, 1972, so I was hoping with the retro styled Mustang selling well, that the muscle car era would return for my generation to enjoy.

:worship: :worship: :worship: Bring back the GTO "Judge" - the Camaro - the Cuda - heck bring back the AMC AMX or Javalin. (Yes I know AMC no longer exists).
Old 7/28/05, 06:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by bigfoot1141@July 28, 2005, 3:27 PM
I have to say that the photo of the Challenger, real or not, looks great. It's sad to know that with the restyling of the Mustang to the glory days, that Dodge and GM won't try to counter Ford with a decent looking muscle car stinks. I was just being born when the muscle car era was coming to a close, 1972, so I was hoping with the retro styled Mustang selling well, that the muscle car era would return for my generation to enjoy.

:worship: :worship: :worship: Bring back the GTO "Judge" - the Camaro - the Cuda - heck bring back the AMC AMX or Javalin. (Yes I know AMC no longer exists).

regardless of how much i love my new stang...competition from other manufacturers is always a GOOD thing. i wish the new camaro would come, as well as better looking redesigns of the charger and challenger and gto. bring back the cuda and the chevelle too while theyre at it! id rather have competition with them than dummies in crackjack box toys with turbos...bring on the new muscle car age!
Old 7/28/05, 07:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by stkdidy@July 28, 2005, 6:09 PM
regardless of how much i love my new stang...competition from other manufacturers is always a GOOD thing. i wish the new camaro would come, as well as better looking redesigns of the charger and challenger and gto. bring back the cuda and the chevelle too while theyre at it! id rather have competition with them than dummies in crackjack box toys with turbos...bring on the new muscle car age!
I completely agree! The competition that Ford would face (if it had any) in the reasonably priced muscle car class would only make the Mustang better. It would keep Ford on its toes and we'd all reap the rewards. Bring on the Camaro/Challenger/'Cuda/Whatever! The Charger is nice looking but is nothing like the original and the GTO is a joke.
Old 7/28/05, 08:31 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zeta is not dead, the north american production of it has been scrapped.

It is still under development in austraila, the next generation GTO will likely be built there and shipped to american shores in 2008. I read this somewhere, i'll dig up the article.
Old 7/28/05, 09:53 PM
CME
GT Member

Originally posted by Galaxie@July 28, 2005, 8:34 PM
Zeta is not dead, the north american production of it has been scrapped.
It is still under development in austraila, the next generation GTO will likely be built there and shipped to american shores in 2008. I read this somewhere, i'll dig up the article.

That would kind of make sense. Since the current GTO is also based on an Austalian design. I read in an article about the demise of the "zeta" platform that it was probably going to be the platform for an all new 2008 GTO, but the arcticle stated they weren't sure what that would mean for the GTO since it was being scrapped. They assumed the GTO would only receive minor upgrades until GM had the money to work on a new design. And from what I've heard about sales with the new Employee discount they may not be banking as much, but they are at least getting cars off their lots so they can look to the future.

And some competition would be nice. You read through any unbiased article and even if they don't bluntly say it the Mustang is there favorite. Yeah get the Charger if you need more people space. The GTO if you gotta have 6-spd, don't mind its looks or weight, and must have GM. If not get the car the costs less, looks better, and is just simply more fun to drive. That pretty much sums up most comparisons I've read. Of course I'm a little biased myself.
Old 7/29/05, 05:40 AM
Bullitt Member

I'd never trade my stang, but wouldn't it be great to have other new muscle cars on the street instead of all those ricers next to you. I miss pulling up at a light next to a camaro. This is kind of like losing a old friend
Old 7/29/05, 07:34 AM
Team Mustang Source

Well the next update for the Z and G35 might include V8 engines. At least that will make things somewhat exciting. "Old School" vs "New School"
Old 7/29/05, 07:53 AM
GT Member

Agreed! I was born in 68, raised on musclecars (mostly GM musclecars). Bring on a new Chevelle! If that challenger photochop was real, I would seriously consider cancelling my Mustang order right now...

However, I have no faith in the other manufacturers to come out with something decent anytime soon.

Quick Reply: Camaro gone Bye Bye