Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

'86 GT, '89 GT, or '93 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 2/19/12, 01:38 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'86 GT, '89 GT, or '93 GT?

A little over a week ago I lost my beloved Crown Vic LX Sport in an accident. The car is completely totaled, didn't have collision on the insurance policy, and the out-of-pocket cost would have been 10k before I was told the front of the motor was also killed. I'm not dead, however, which is a large plus in my book .

What it's come down to with my budget, including what I'll be paying for my own insurance (yes, I've been on my parents since I got my license), I'd very much enjoy going with a Fox Body. It'll be my first 'Stang, used as a daily driver, about 55/45 highway to street driving, and with the occasional performance upgrade. Nothing past basic bolt ons, CAI, exhaust, upper intake, wheels and such, but I'm torn between the four-eyed Fox, and the newer Foxes. I'm aware of the horsepower difference, but not much else. It would either be a manual or auto, whatever becomes available when the time comes, and I was curious to what you guys and girls think and what your opinions are. I'm open to any and all suggestions so let 'em flow!
Old 2/19/12, 02:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Grand Marquis427
A little over a week ago I lost my beloved Crown Vic LX Sport in an accident. The car is completely totaled, didn't have collision on the insurance policy, and the out-of-pocket cost would have been 10k before I was told the front of the motor was also killed. I'm not dead, however, which is a large plus in my book .

What it's come down to with my budget, including what I'll be paying for my own insurance (yes, I've been on my parents since I got my license), I'd very much enjoy going with a Fox Body. It'll be my first 'Stang, used as a daily driver, about 55/45 highway to street driving, and with the occasional performance upgrade. Nothing past basic bolt ons, CAI, exhaust, upper intake, wheels and such, but I'm torn between the four-eyed Fox, and the newer Foxes. I'm aware of the horsepower difference, but not much else. It would either be a manual or auto, whatever becomes available when the time comes, and I was curious to what you guys and girls think and what your opinions are. I'm open to any and all suggestions so let 'em flow!

'86 The plus- It was great looking year IMO for the GT. Negative- Horrible E6 heads ( for starters)and flat top pistons so very limited head choices w/o PTV or cutting valve reliefs in them and very hard to find body/interior parts for it.

'89 The best of Areo nose years. Mass air, 8.8 rear and no air bag so you can have tilt wheel.

'93 downer is air bag, most do not like them. also no more forged pistons in '93 they went to hypereutectic cast pistons other than that same has the '89 but just a note in '91 they went to 16" wheels so '91 thru '93 have larger fender openings and different shorter front fender ground effect extentions for the GT.

My vote '89 all the way .

Last edited by skunk21; 2/19/12 at 04:11 PM. Reason: correction
Old 2/19/12, 07:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
My vote:

'89 LX Notchback...if you can find one that hasn't been hacked.
Old 2/19/12, 10:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'89 as well.
Old 2/20/12, 07:38 AM
Bullitt Member

89 gets my vote.
Old 2/20/12, 07:57 AM
GT Member

I can hear Bruce Buffer reading a unanimous decision. The only other question I have is what would the difference be between '88 and '90 in regards to the '89? I see many discussions with Skunk coming up...
Old 2/20/12, 11:27 AM
FR500 Member

+1 for the '89. The difference between the '88 5.0 Mustang and '90-'93 Mustangs, depending on where it was sold (California vs. remaining 49 states), had mass air compared to speed density EEC IV = generally easier to mod.
The '89 model year had mass air EEC IV in all 50 states. If IIRC, the '90 model year saw some decontenting at some point along with the introduction of driver side airbag/loss of tilt steering column. AFAIK, if you have a problem with the airbag system, there are no longer any new serviceable parts for them - as with most airbag equipped cars from that time. I plan to disable mine precisely because of that. Also, with a pre-airbag car, you can change the steering wheel to a nicer looking/sportier aftermarket piece. Technically illegal to do that with the later models.
Old 2/20/12, 12:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Grand Marquis427
I can hear Bruce Buffer reading a unanimous decision. The only other question I have is what would the difference be between '88 and '90 in regards to the '89? I see many discussions with Skunk coming up...
Pretty much like hi5.0 stated '88 was speed density so it doesn't take to mods very well, ie heads, cams , headers etc so the best thing is do a mass air swap. The cali cars are mass air but hard to find.

The only thing the '90 lost was the tilt wheel since this was the 1st year for the air bag. Ford added a knee bolster or padded lower trim to the dash panel so this is different and they also added 3 point rear sear belts. If you go to the fox section of the forums I have a tech section with air bag info and the limiting factors with the clocksprings. '90 still came with 15" wheels.

Air bag parts still can be found, I have sources and I think they are listed in tech but easy enough to give out. I just changed my clockspring not long ago, the air bag system is pretty stout with few problems. So I'm not afraid of the air bag years myself.
Old 2/20/12, 12:30 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
This would be a good purchase . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-...#ht_802wt_1166