Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

'69 or '05?

Search this Thread

Old 12/31/04 | 04:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Wow - Thanks for all your posts. You all certainly have some great insight and words of wisdom. Funny thing is that half of you push me one way and the other half push me back the other way (Ha!), so I still end up in the middle!

Safety - yes, I have thought about the lack of it in the '69. And my previous '69 had a nice black interior and no A/C. But I was 19 and did not mind the sweat. Lots of sweat.

I am 37 and now A/C is a must. Hard to find a '69 with A/C and a 4 spd. Although it looks like A/C can be added and still retain a factory install look.

The rumblings I hear of the next Mach 1 have my attention. Hopefully some info from Ford will be released before I can't hold off any longer...
Old 12/31/04 | 04:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by RRRoamer@December 31, 2004, 10:37 AM
My cousin has a fully restored 69 Mach 1 with 428CJ and 3 speed auto. He got second place in Concours the first time he showed it. One of the judges told him he would have easily won first place, but they would NOT give first place to a car with headers on it!

I don't want to think about how much time and money he put into that car, but he has been working on it for the last 12 years or so. He has had since he was in high school (mid '80s). At the time, it was a rocket, but the body was in bad shape due to accidents and WAY too much torque (the roof was warped from the body twisting!). After he got done with it, I couldn't even recognize the car. It was perfect.

Of course, I'll never forget him crying about how much he had to pay for original emisions equipment. To replace the factory stock equipment that he had thrown in the trash when he was in high school!

If you need a daily driver, don't even think about the 69. Too much work. Too rare. And it is worth too much (if you restore it) to be driving it to work every day. Not to mention the down time you will have if you decide to "clean it up" in the future. The 05 is a perfect daily driver and you can modify it and hop it up as you see fit. They are going to make a SLEW of these things and you can easily pick up an "original" 05 ten years from now if you decide you want to restore one..

Now, if you DON'T need a daily driver but instead are looking to buy a Mustang to have a play car, then you would be VERY heard pressed to beat the '69! That is one of the best Mustangs (and cars. Period) ever built. They don't make any more of them, so at worse, if you did decide to sell it at a later date, you should be able to get your money out of it and maybe (MAYBE) a bit more. The 05 is going to depreciate at a rapid rate pretty much like ALL new cars (yes, even BMWs!). Eventually, it will start going up again when they get rare, but do you really want to wait 30 years for that cycle to happy? The 2005 is a fantastic car (a true credit to Ford and to the design team!), but the 69 Mach 1 is a 69 Mach 1. Nothing else needs to be said!
well said... I agree
Old 12/31/04 | 05:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have a restored/original 1969 428CJ Cougar XR-7 convertible that does a lot of sitting. I doubt I put on 1000 miles a year to car shows mostly. But (to paraphrase the question in reverse) would I sell it to buy a 05 Mustang GT? NOPE!

What I may do is wait a year or so and buy a slightly used 05 Mustang GT. Maybe you could buy a used 05 GT and 69 351 Mach1 @15K each ;-) The depreciation will just about average out. ;-)
Old 12/31/04 | 05:36 PM
GT Member

I say wait till a SE mustang comes out and make the decision then, if you can wait....
Old 12/31/04 | 06:39 PM
GT Member

Well you know a much an 05 looks like a 69 it will never and can never be a 69 Mach 1

Having said that I do own a 69 428 Mustang all manual, and I have to say this.

The car rocks !!!!!!!

But seriously, If it was my only car, I'd be crying, I'm not sure what the gas mileage is but I fill the focker up almost every time I go out in it.

Also I have to plan my parking route, its not a nice car to park. It also blows in traffic as the 3500lb clutch isn't easy on the old knee these days.

Its noisy, the seats stink, the stereo is hard to listen too if you are moving as the engine noise is another biggie.

Oil leaks, can't say that I've ever seen a big block mustang without one, so you'll probably have one too

Header leaks, yes its a big block mustang I thing that is almost a feature, after a couple of months they all seem to start leaking.

Oh yes and performance, well it is fast, runs low to mid 12's on a good day, but thats with slicks on it, last time I gtec'd it with street tires on it I think I ran a mid 13. and the only time I ran it with street tires at the track it ran a 14.01 @116mph
It was on some old dunlop qualifiers that were made out of plastic or maybe they had 90psi in them I just remember that the car did not hook up until 4th gear.
now I have new ones but they still stink for traction. probably the 99/1 front/back weight distribution

Now the 05 can run a mid 13 with street tires, Probably have the stereo blasting and the air conditioning on. and with as much money as I've spent on my 428 engine (edelbrock heads and intake, pistons, canton pan, comp cams solid cam, rods, arp bolts, balancing etc.. to name just a few things)
I could have an 05 Mustang that runs 11's and still gets good gas mileage and looks stock.

I have bought an 05, but I don't have it yet, and no I don't plan on selling my 69 fastback either

As for what car is the coolest.. well I'm sorry but its the 69 no question, in 3 years the 05/06/07 will be common as much and there will be even less 69's

Buy it for the right reasons, if you want a daily driver, get the 05, but if you want a car that looks cool and will still look cool in 20 years then get the 69, but don't say that I didn't warn you.