Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

2013 accord ex-l coupe vs 2011 g37x coupe

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/13, 08:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK I'm thinking of getting a new daily driver and I'm looking at something sporty, luxurious and semi practical (all year capability) .

The accord is better on gas and brand new with top notch technology, the infinity would be used and in many ways be a Tad outdated since it has been almost unchanged since the 2009 model year.

On the other hand I think the infinity is one of the best looking cars on the road with a timeless look. It is a higher end vehicle and a better pure performance vehicle.

What would you choose, and why? Please choose one of the two vehicles, I don't see another mustang as a daily driver at this point I'm focusing on these particular cars. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by 97GT03SVT; 1/30/13 at 08:38 PM.
Old 1/30/13, 09:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
We have driven Hondas for decades and found them to be wonderfully reliable. There is a reason why the Accord has been on the Car and Driver 10 best cars list every year but one. Our current sedan is an '06 Accord V6 that replaced a '93 SE sedan with 240K miles on it. Get the Honda.
Old 1/31/13, 09:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Really two different cars. The accord will probably be the more practical, efficient, reliable daily driver, but the Infiniti is on a whole different level of sportiness. So the question is how much does that sportiness matter to you in a DD?
Old 1/31/13, 10:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Kevin509
Really two different cars. The accord will probably be the more practical, efficient, reliable daily driver, but the Infiniti is on a whole different level of sportiness. So the question is how much does that sportiness matter to you in a DD?
They are more similethan you would expect. The infinity is less hardcore than the Nissan Z, both are luxury coupes with solid v6 power

I agree the accord is more efficient but less powerful ....just about the same in 0-60/quarter mile but not rwd based like the infinity ...

I'm looking at long term value, plan on keeping this car as a daily driver until the wheels fall off
Old 1/31/13, 11:16 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Neither

Old 1/31/13, 12:17 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Scion FR-S. that's a great little car.
Old 1/31/13, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about CR-Z for DD?
Fuel efficiency and sportyness and HONDA
Old 1/31/13, 01:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm not a fan of the crz and probably not the frs because of their size. I want a full size coupe with a back seat, I guess the altima coupe should be on MT radar but I simply don't like it the way I like the Honda of the infinity.
Old 1/31/13, 02:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Here is a review of a 2013 Accord Coupe EX-L (6 speed manual)

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...al-test-review

Here is a review of a 2009-13 G37X coupe (7 speed auto)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...?click=main_sr

The Infinity G37X has been mechanically identical since 2009 with minor trim and option changes since then. The 2013 Accord, though similar looking to the 2008-12 car is actually all new with better technology and refinement.

Obviously the G37 is the better pure performance car but I'm trying to figure out which is the better long term daily driver. Rear wheel drive is not an option here driving RWD in inclement weather is a pain and I prefer to no longer do so otherwise I'd by a new Mustang GT. I also am weary of owning a European vehicle because of the outrageous maintenance costs...
Old 1/31/13, 04:11 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
09 Pontiac G8 GT is the way to go. And regarding that weather thing. My brother has one in Michigan, they get tons of lake effect snow and he runs snow tires in the winter and doesn't have any problems at all.

Last edited by Knight; 1/31/13 at 04:12 PM.
Old 1/31/13, 05:18 PM
Cobra R Member

I like the G8 but I don't want to buy something that old, I think I may add an AWD charger to my list of potential cars. Probably the only sedan I may be interested in.
Old 1/31/13, 05:40 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
between those choices and the Charger, I'd probably go with the *gulp* Charger
Old 2/1/13, 09:16 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
I like the G8 but I don't want to buy something that old, I think I may add an AWD charger to my list of potential cars. Probably the only sedan I may be interested in.
You mentioned 2009 G37, so I figured it was game.
Old 2/1/13, 10:47 AM
Cobra R Member

My bad the G37X has been pretty much unchanged from 2009-13 mechanically but I'd prefer to buy something no more 2 model years old.
Old 2/3/13, 02:09 PM

I might be a little biased since I also have a 2010 g37x coupe as my daily driver, but if you want near luxury go with the g37x
The Honda accord coupe is not a luxury car. That is more in line with the Altima coupe seeing both are fwd. The g37x is rwd based and only switches to front wheels when needed which helps with handling.
Not sure what the Honda needs, but the g37 needs premium, so take that into consideration.
Oh and it's Infiniti, not infinity.

Good luck in whatever you choose.
Old 2/3/13, 09:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by LIPony
I might be a little biased since I also have a 2010 g37x coupe as my daily driver, but if you want near luxury go with the g37x
The Honda accord coupe is not a luxury car. That is more in line with the Altima coupe seeing both are fwd. The g37x is rwd based and only switches to front wheels when needed which helps with handling.
Not sure what the Honda needs, but the g37 needs premium, so take that into consideration.
Oh and it's Infiniti, not infinity.

Good luck in whatever you choose.
Since you have owned one I'd love to pick your brain on a couple points. What kind of real word mileage do you get? My commute is 75% highway so I'm not super concerned with MPGs but curious at what i'd be getting. Do you have the 7 speed auto? If so have you had any issues with it? My friend has a 2011 G37X sedan and I noticed the transmission seemed to be a little jerky, holding gears to long but downshifting perfectly. Have you had any major repairs or unexpected problems? Would this car be more expensive to maintain? I have always heard that the G gives you 3 series performance with cheap maintenance costs.

I have recently driven the new Accord and I find it gives a more luxurious ride than the G37X (more plush and quiet). Truthfully in a straight line I wouldn't be surprised if the Accord was faster it feels and indeed is a much lighter vehicle. I think financing rates and overall out the door price may determine what I get I really do like both vehicles!
Old 2/3/13, 11:21 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I will never buy another Honda again. I like my Fit and its a great car, but its so **** uncomfortable ... My F-150 was more comfortable and that was a work truck.
I test drove the new Civic and I felt the same way.
Old 2/4/13, 06:23 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Zastava_101
I will never buy another Honda again. I like my Fit and its a great car, but its so **** uncomfortable ... My F-150 was more comfortable and that was a work truck.
I test drove the new Civic and I felt the same way.
I find the accord comfortable, very roomy and supportive seats. I guess anything would be an upgrade to a 16 year old daily driver. I think the civic is a little cramped for me and like the previous Gen 2008-12 accord very noisy at highway speeds
I find the accord quieter than the g

Last edited by 97GT03SVT; 2/4/13 at 06:27 AM.
Old 2/23/13, 07:08 PM

So, what did you decide. If you want an opinion about this from me, I would go with the Honda. I have had both the g37 and the accord. I liked the accord. I sold the g after 8 months to buy a BMW. I loved the BMW but do not recommend buying one. A BMW is a lease only car. Dump it before your maintenance plan expires. I currently have a 2012 Honda Civic SI for my dd and love it. It is fast enough. Gets great mpg. And rides smooth and quiet. You would save on sticker price by about 8 - 10k. Great car.
Old 2/24/13, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
Since you have owned one I'd love to pick your brain on a couple points. What kind of real word mileage do you get? My commute is 75% highway so I'm not super concerned with MPGs but curious at what i'd be getting. Do you have the 7 speed auto? If so have you had any issues with it? My friend has a 2011 G37X sedan and I noticed the transmission seemed to be a little jerky, holding gears to long but downshifting perfectly. Have you had any major repairs or unexpected problems? Would this car be more expensive to maintain? I have always heard that the G gives you 3 series performance with cheap maintenance costs.

I have recently driven the new Accord and I find it gives a more luxurious ride than the G37X (more plush and quiet). Truthfully in a straight line I wouldn't be surprised if the Accord was faster it feels and indeed is a much lighter vehicle. I think financing rates and overall out the door price may determine what I get I really do like both vehicles!
My commute is about 15% highway, I only have about a 20 minute drive to work, I average about 20 mpg's.
I just hit 21k miles. So the only service I have had done are oil changes and tire rotation(the x has the same size tires all around, the s has staggered). The cabin filter, wiper blades and air filters I do myself.
I have the 7spd auto. It gets kinda jerky in stop and go traffic, but there is suppose to be a tsb for it that I need to get done. I find the 5spd auto in the 2007 mustang to be smoother. The g gets better gas mile though, probably since it has 2 more gears and it is pretty quick.
The accord probably is more luxurious now, the g has been the same since 2008. The g could be quieter, but then again it's more sport than luxury.
Not sure I would get another one. Maybe a MB 350 coupe next.

Quick Reply: 2013 accord ex-l coupe vs 2011 g37x coupe