Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

2009 Mustang Gt vs. 2008 Mini Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 10/26/10, 07:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
I rode in one some days ago. Nice little car and pretty nimble. The chick that owns it was a plus too But Mustang > Mini.
Old 10/26/10, 08:42 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for all the replies guys, glad to hear.

im relieved the mini isnt competition because i would have to go all out with my paychecks to keep things in my favor if not haha

only reason i was concerned is ive driven my mothers GTI every once in a while and that thing feels ridiculous! cant really judge cuz the way it drive feels completely different but just wanted to check all this.

and those numbers of the mini and the mustang are good to hear
and the newer mustangs =
Old 11/1/10, 03:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
On sound alone the Mustang wins.

VVVRRROOOOOMMM

To

RINNNNGGG DINNGGG DIINGG

And the Mustang can really shroten up it's turn radius with some judicious use of the loud pedal. Can't say that for a Mini.
Old 2/11/11, 03:36 PM
DFV
Bullitt Member

Having owned and modified a MINI Cooper S (yes, it really is CAPITALIZED) I can tell you that it will outperform a Mustang GT on a tight auto-x course, as well as the tighter and twistier parts of most road courses. The Car & Driver Lightning laps are on a track that has both long straight sections and the tighter sections too. Compare the different section as well as overall times to see the strengths and weaknesses of both cars.

As for straight line performance, my modified MCS ran a 14.93 1/4 @ 93 mph. Not too bad for a 1.6 litre, supercharged I4 with FWD. Is it GT territory? No, but it is a quick and excellent handling road car - small, agile, it's really an urban assault vehicle.

So why is a MINI driver posting on Mustang Source? It might be because I have a Boss 302 on order. A factory made road/track car with enough good to be really B-A-D. I can't wait for delivery. Once that arrives, I'll probably sell the MINI, or relegate it to winter use.

Last edited by DFV; 2/11/11 at 03:45 PM.
Old 3/2/11, 07:00 PM

Mustang by far! He better get used to seeing your back side.
Old 6/10/12, 10:47 PM

Interesting conversation here. There is no doubt that Mustangs are fast and, at least with the current generation, handle pretty darn well. A properly modified Mini can beat a stock Mustang GT (not the current 5.0). I know because I have done so. Not by much, but a win is a win. My car has dyno'd at 223 at the wheels, roughly 255 bhp. Now, take the current 5.0 or a modded older GT, and the Mustang wins, no problem.

Don't get me wrong, I love Mustangs, but it's a lot of fun to make small cars fast too

Last edited by Scott Davis; 6/10/12 at 10:56 PM.
Old 6/11/12, 04:32 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott Davis
Interesting conversation here. There is no doubt that Mustangs are fast and, at least with the current generation, handle pretty darn well. A properly modified Mini can beat a stock Mustang GT (not the current 5.0). I know because I have done so. Not by much, but a win is a win. My car has dyno'd at 223 at the wheels, roughly 255 bhp. Now, take the current 5.0 or a modded older GT, and the Mustang wins, no problem.

Don't get me wrong, I love Mustangs, but it's a lot of fun to make small cars fast too
I can mod a Taurus to outrun a Mustang and a Mini, but we're talking about mostly stock cars here.
Old 6/11/12, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
I can mod a Taurus to outrun a Mustang and a Mini, but we're talking about mostly stock cars here.
Oh, well in that case, Mustang wins, hands down.
Old 6/11/12, 11:00 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I own both a 2010 Mini S (with the sports suspension package) and a 2006 Mustang GT Vert...

Mini: Quick and nimble... I can take corners on that thing without a sweat... Probably at higher speeds than in the Mustang... And it's quick for a little car! Like a previous poster said, it's like a go kart! LOL! And I am 6' tall and fit in it with room to spare! The back seat is about as useful as the Mustangs though... LOL!

Mustang: Raw power... I drive the Mini on a daily basis and any time I think it's a quick little car and maybe I don't need the Mustang (it sits in the garage, except for weekend driving mostly), I go out to the Mustang and take it for a ride... From the first press of the go pedal, it's a reminder of why I keep the car! The Mini is quick, but nothing beats that raw power when you put your foot down... I have the 3.73 gears in the Mustang and it's quick... And fun...

In a straight race, the Mustang would blow it away. On a road course, depending on how twisty it would be would make a huge difference, cause that Mini can maintain speed through most corners where you'd have to slow in the Mustang. But 9 times out of 10, the Mustang would win IMO...
Old 6/14/12, 06:11 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
I say no way no how on any course will the mini win.
I'll take that bet at an autocross. At most road courses I'm with ya though since they tend to have enough sections where the mini's advantage through the turns is nullified by the Mustangs better power.