Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

06 Mustang GT vs 05? Saturn Ion Redline

Search this Thread

Old 10/4/06, 06:07 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Any time you want, Bobby. I'm in Ohio, you nearby?

By the way, that little button on your keyboard that says "^Shift" makes capital letters.
Old 10/4/06, 11:12 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gambi06
You know, there are '78 Toyota Tercels out there that people have stuffed modded engines into, that pull easy 11's at the track that will mop up most of our beloved GT's And, we're talking about a $150 shell of a car.
My point is, there will ALWAYS be faster cars out there.
(Unless you're John Shepherd in his 7-second Eagle Talon...but even he'll get beat eventually)

The biggest thing to remember is this: Dude...You drive a f%&#ing new Mustang GT, and that guy has a Saturn. Even on the SLIM chance that that guy could outrun you.....you could just meet him at the other end of the track......with his girlfriend in your passenger seat

Like I said before....

-gambi06
Old 10/7/06, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me start by saying I have a great deal of respect for the Mustangs. I used to own a 65 coupe with a 289 and I loved it. Sold it to pay bills back in 1992, when I got married.

Second, even though I love the Mustang, I currently own a 2005 Saturn Ion Redline with the competion package. (only 118 made in 2005). It was a tough call between the two for me. And before anyone ask, as i posted on the Red Line forum, I don't race.

But lets be honest.

Any 2006 Mustang GT will smoke a Stock Red Line with similar drivers.

A stock 2006 GT will usually beat a Stage 2 Red Line with similar drivers.

And the V8 in the GT makes any 4 cyl sound pathetic.

However, on a bad day, a GT driver can get beat by the Red Line. Some of the Red Lines are running low 13s for the 1/4. They could give you a decent run for the money. The Red Line is lighter by about 500 pounds

Stock, before the stage upgrade I dynoed at 227.5 and 197.2 (dyno is posted on redline website) With the stage upgrades it's about 265 for whp and 216 torque. That's not too shabby.

I was debating between the GT Mustang and the Red Line when I bought it. I paid about $27,000 for that top of the line Red Line I own, plus the money I've put in for some mods. I could have got a new GT for that. Also, remember, Saturns policy is they don't discount their cars.

But, let me give you three main reasons I didn't. One, insurance is dirt cheap on the Red Line because "Its a Saturn". It would have killed me on the Mustang GT, even being 44 years old.

Two, I live in a big city, the Red Line is a polymer body (plastic). So, no door dings, no chipped paint (unless you really get hit hard) and less scratches. Looks better longer.

And, Finally. I have the only 2005 Black fully loaded Red Line made. There were only 118 Red Lines made with the upgraded competition package in 2005. There have only been 5800 Red Lines made for all years (total production) and less than 1100 have the competition package. I will never see another one like it and you will probably never see one at least with the competition package.

I loved the 65 because it was unique. Too many people jumped on the Mustang bandwagon a couple years ago. Most are v6's, but there are also a lot of GTs. I wish less had been produced and kept them more unique.

I'd love to own a Shelby, but it is out of my price range.

I have a great deal of respect for the GT's. They can put down much better numbers than the Red Line can, very easily. And you probably would win in a race, especially if you are modded in any way.

But, the Red Line deserves some respect also. Check out this link:

http://car-reviews.automobile.com/Sa...alt-flats/435/

I'm sure a number of people will have some issue with this, but to the best of my knowledge it is accurate.

There will always be someone faster in some car. And the driver mod 2.0 is often more important than the engine mod 2.0.