From The Ford Salesman News and information directly from Ford dealers across the country. Also find a trusty dealership near you
Ford Salesmen Post Your Contact Info Here

Bad Dealership Practices?

Search this Thread

Old 9/15/05, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need some input as to what might be going on with my order and whether or not I shoould cancel my order and start over again with another dealership. My problem is as follows. In May 05 I placed a deposit with a dealership for an 06 GT, Tungsten Grey, w/ charcoal leather and 18 inch wheels. The salesman told me that he did not have any 06 order sheets as of that date, but as soon as they came in my car would be ordered. He did tell me that I could expect my car in late August. I subsequently provided him on the phone with my specific option requests and he told me that the car would be ordered accordingly. In late August I placed a follow up call on the status of my car and was told that it would be another 8-12 weeks. At this point I was not that concerned. I did however request my order sheet to be faxed to me. This request was never responded to. I subsequently placed another request in writing for my order sheet. This also was never responded to. I then called my salesman and requested my order sheet for a third time and was referrred to the sales manager, who was on vacation. I did speak with the business manger who told me he did not have access to order sheets and to call back my sales man. I then wrote my salesman again who told he would have to talk to the sales manager, who is now back from vacation. That was a week ago and stiil, despite another written request, my order sheet has not been supplied to me, nor has anyone given me any indication of what the status of my order is. I now have several concerns. The first is that they are not supplying me with my order sheet because they probably know that I can access the ERL and find out on my own what the status of the order is. Which leads me to believe that they either did not order the car when they said they did, or the car came in and they sold it to someone else for over the list price. Otherwise I can not imagine why there would be a reluctance to supply me with the order sheet. My question is therefore, is there a higher authority I can address my issues with, above the dealer, who will be able to give me insight on my order even though I do not have any of the normally required information that would enable them to track the order? I have not gone to the dealership personally for fear of getting ultimately frustrared and demanding my depsoit back, canceling the order and continue driving my 10 year old Altima everyday and put the money I would have spent on my 06 into my 89.
Old 9/15/05, 05:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Just my 2 cents. Run from that dealer as fast as you can. They are lieing to you. Your oder is based on two things, the dealer's allocation and your priority code. You should have had your car by now.

There are plenty of dealers out there that will get you a car in a reasonable time. This guy is playing you.
Old 9/15/05, 06:09 PM
V6 Member

I have had a car on order since 6-3 and I was promised a vin in the next 2 weeks. Alot has to do with the part of the country your in up here in the north east the dealeds have a very small alocation and there orders don't all ways get pulled when they think they are. But if you think the dealer is playing games with you I would call Ford customer service.
Old 9/16/05, 05:25 AM
Cobra Member

I would find out who the dealer principal is and call him for an appointment. Ask him point blank why you can not get any information about a car you ordered 4 months ago and that you still have not received a copy of the order so you can check to make sure it is exactly what you ordered. Do it in a calm but forceful demeanor. If you sense any type of runaround at all, run and find another dealer who you can trust. Depending on your location, there are several on this forum who won't play any games with you and will give you the straight information, not just what you want to hear or to appease you.
Also I would not worry about the manager knowing you could call ERL to check on the status as almost all salespersons and a good number of managers have no clue of how to do that themselves.
Old 9/16/05, 11:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
Welcome to the boards, BTW pg.

You have already exhibited FAR more patience and consideration than is deserved. Like Ed just said, if a quiet, mature conversation with the dealership owner/GM does not immediately answer all your questions. get your deposit and walk.

I ordered June 11 and had my car September 4th. Less than a month after '06's started rolling off the line.

Depending on where you are, order from Ed or someone he recommends. He's straight up and a real keeper. Not to mention the owner of a Mustang very similar to mine!
Old 9/16/05, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the input. As a means to provide an update. I called the salesmanager this morning who tolf me that there is no status on my car and there is no build date scheduled, but he would have to talk to "their rep" for more information next week. He also told me to call back later in the afternoon to speak to my salesman for further details. I just called my salesman who coincidentally had just left for the day. Still no order sheet in my possession despite 6 requests for same. I have become some soured on this process that I left a message that I want to cancel my order and get my deposit back. Which I anticiapted would not be a problem. So I will have to wait and see on that issue. In any event, last night I called another dealership regarding ordering a GT and was told that they had no idea when they could get one if I ordered one. However, coincidentally, they did tell me that they had an 06, Tungsten Grey, Charcoal interior just like I had previously ordered, with the exception of it having not having 18 inch wheels and having the spoiler on the back, coming in this morning. They then told me if I was able to come down today and pay $5,000.00 over list, the car could be mine for the weekend. Unfortunately no matter how badly on want the car I will not pay $5,000.00 over list for it. Moreover, I have the feeling that this has to someone else's order that they are attempting to sell to me for a higher price and if this is so, I want no part in taking some else's car. To put it bluntly, at this point the whole ordeal has really soured me on the experince of buying a new Mustang. I think I will just keep my trusty 89 LX 5.0 for the weekends and get something else to enjoy on an everyday basis.
Old 9/16/05, 02:13 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by pgbnj@September 16, 2005, 12:22 PM
bad experience
I had the same thing happen to me. Don't give up hope man. It'll all work out for you.
Old 9/26/05, 01:25 PM
V6 Member

pgbnj-

how did things work out for you? did you get another order in? deposit back?

Anyone- Will a dealership be able to issue a deposit return check on the spot, or do they usually have to be prepared and mailed out? If I were able to leave with check in hand, I'd go to my old dealer and do it in person. If not, might as well just call it in. Wouldn't be a big deal, but we only have the one car, so getting there takes a little extra effort.
Old 9/26/05, 05:42 PM
V6 Member

How about if you were to give them a credit card for your deposit I have done that for the last 4 cars I bought.
Old 9/30/05, 12:17 PM

Just wanted to let all those who were wondering, what happened with my order. I was finally informed by my salesman, earlier this week, that they apparently "lost" my order and same was never placed. I was also informed that they found the order with my credit application attached to it somewhere in the office. They offered to now order the car, with delivery to be expected in about four (4) months. They also offered to refund me my desposit, if I did not want to go ahead with my order. To say that I was not pleased with their explanation of why my car did not get ordered would be an understatement. I simply can not fathom that in the four months since I placed my deposit and despite my numerous calls, letters and in person meetings, that they never even bothered to locate my order. Essentially I had been given anticipated delivery dates all along which had no basis in fact. More to the point, I was simply lied to for four months. On a seperate note, the dealership that offered me the 06 GT for $5,000.00 over list eventually called me back saying that they could give it to me for $2,500.00. Unfortunately, I can not get myself to pay over sticker for any car. So, as I needed a car in a bad way, I took advantage of GM's employee pricing program and purchased an 05 GTO, for less than the Mustang that was offered to me. Although the car is not what I originally wanted, it is fast as heck and I still have my 89 LX so I have not betrayed my Ford roots entirely.
Old 10/27/05, 12:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
darn, we order them, and they come in pretty quickly I sold another salesperson's retail order by accident and we had it reordered and in in under 6 weeks...
Old 10/27/05, 09:39 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I hope you're happy with GTO. I know its not what you wanted, but GTO is cool car.