From The Ford Salesman News and information directly from Ford dealers across the country. Also find a trusty dealership near you
Ford Salesmen Post Your Contact Info Here

18" Chrome Bullet wheels holding up orders?

Search this Thread

Old 3/5/07, 11:22 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
18" Chrome Bullet wheels holding up orders?

I placed an order for a 2007 Mustang GT in late January, among the options I specified the 18" chrome Bullet wheels. My sales person has been checking the status of the order for the last several weeks and it still has not been pulled, while others placed since mine have been pulled. I have the DORA and do not believe he is not being honest with me. That said, he has not been able to tell me how much longer the delay will be for these wheels. I'm trying to decide if I hang in there and wait for these wheels or change the order to the 17" wheels and buy something aftermarket. Can any of the connected sales people on this forum confirm this delay and share any insight as to how much longer this will be? I live in MA, although it's probably not relevant.

Thanks
Old 3/5/07, 06:20 PM
GT Member

Placed my order for mine with the same rims on Feb 5th, still waiting for a date. Gonna be calling my dealer tomorrow to see what's up.... but I AM NOT changing my order!!! They had tried to get me my car in 5 different states and I finally had to order. I will wait and get what i want. hang in there I think it is well worth the wait!!!
Old 3/5/07, 07:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I ordered my Mustang with those wheels on Jan 3rd. It was built on Feb 20th and I have heard nothing about a delay because of 18" bullit wheels.
Old 3/6/07, 09:16 AM
V6 Member

The DORA Processed date is 1/26/07 for my order, so it's a few weeks after yours. I would like to get the car with these wheels, but if it's going to delay the order another month, then I would probably change the order and just get aftermarket wheels. Not knowing anything is getting frustrating. Thought maybe the more informed dealers/sales people on this forum would know more. Was thinking that maybe all the Shelby GT orders exhausted the supply of these wheels
Old 3/6/07, 01:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, the reason is the 18" wheels. But it just isn't the polished bullitts, but the fanblades are also on a very tight commodities constraint. In my region, its still 3% for the blades, and 1% for the bulitts for all GT's that are ordered. Its keeping us from getting a stock Orange GT 5-speed. If we take the wheels off, the car will get scheduled immediately. All these commodity issues do is p*** people off.
Old 3/6/07, 02:17 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for confirming this. IS there any way for my Ford dealer to find out how long this will take? I mean, are we talking about a 2 week additional delay or 10? This info will drive my decision, but I would hate to change my order if the issue is resolved next week or so...
Old 3/6/07, 03:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jcode68
Thanks for confirming this. IS there any way for my Ford dealer to find out how long this will take? I mean, are we talking about a 2 week additional delay or 10? This info will drive my decision, but I would hate to change my order if the issue is resolved next week or so...
As long as they don't have alot of GT's ahead of you with 18" wheels as an option, you shouldn't have a problem. If there is a problem, someone at your dealership could call their local rep, to get things pushed along.
Old 3/10/07, 09:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Out here in Vegas, the comm. rest. is 9% and 11%! That doesn't help when over the course of 2 months we only got allocated 10 mustangs total!!!
Old 3/13/07, 07:10 AM
V6 Member

Another week goes by and my order still not pulled. My dealer says they have called the rep, but nobody can tell me how long the wait will be. I hate making a decision without having enough information. If anyone in this forum has a contact at Ford, I sure would appreciate if you could find out how long the delay will be. I guess I should start looking at aftermarket wheels now...
Old 3/14/07, 10:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

FYI, not that this means anything, but I placed an order on January 15 (I don't think it actually got placed with Ford until the 18th) and I received the car on February 20th - with the 18" polished bullitts.

Unless they ran out of them after they built my car, there might be something else going on.
Old 3/14/07, 12:44 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by davisinla
FYI, not that this means anything, but I placed an order on January 15 (I don't think it actually got placed with Ford until the 18th) and I received the car on February 20th - with the 18" polished bullitts.

Unless they ran out of them after they built my car, there might be something else going on.
Thanks for rubbing it in
Seriously, that is a very short time, basically 5 weeks from order to delivery. I was told 11 weeks is the average. My dealer is looking into the possibility of ordering the wheels/tires through their parts dept and just doing a swap when the car arrives. I told them if it's a wash on price, then I would go for that option. He also said his Ford rep cannot provide them with any additional insight or information about when the order will be pulled. Very frustrating to say the least.
Old 3/14/07, 02:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jcode68
Thanks for rubbing it in
Sorry...I can understand your frustration.

You know, just a little editorializing here -

I've been in management for over 30 years, and know a bit about running a business.

And I would think that given Ford's financial situation, someone in upper managment would think "maybe this would be a good time to have all of our people go the extra mile for our customers (and would-be customers) rather than acting like we always did."

But that's just me.
Old 3/14/07, 03:07 PM
GT Member

Order placed 2/15, build date 3/9, ramp, 3/12, shows as in transit today. 18" Polished Aluminum bullitts.
Old 3/14/07, 03:30 PM
V6 Member

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it -- I ordered on Jan. 17 and it hasn't even been serialized yet. Also 18" Bullitts. My priority code is 10 which I understand is good but still no progress, and the dealer knows nothing. Thankfully I don't really "need" the car, but I'm hoping the current incentives are carried over into next quarter. Taking delivery by 4/2 doesn't look too promising at this stage.
Old 3/14/07, 05:42 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by zlskrs
There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it -- I ordered on Jan. 17 and it hasn't even been serialized yet. Also 18" Bullitts. My priority code is 10 which I understand is good but still no progress, and the dealer knows nothing. Thankfully I don't really "need" the car, but I'm hoping the current incentives are carried over into next quarter. Taking delivery by 4/2 doesn't look too promising at this stage.
Priority code means nothing other than where you sit in the pecking order for that dealer. If you have a "10" and you are the only person waiting for a car the next allocation is yours! If you're a "10" and there are 9 people ahead of you with a lower number you loose. You can have a "80" and still get the next allocation. Again this is a dealer created number between 1-99 that means nothing as far as the factory is concerned other than in the situation above. Sounds to me like you have a UNSCHEDULED/CLEAN status, you should ask.

• Your order has been received by Ford Motor Company and is awaiting selection by COS for submission to the assembly plant. There are currently no production related holds on the order. Your order will be selected in the priority you have assigned when allocation is available in accordance with controlled commodities. If scheduling delays occur, call your Regional Sales Office.

In other words your dealer doesn't have an allocation.
Old 3/14/07, 05:50 PM
V6 Member

You are right -- when I call the status phone number it says CLEAN AND UNSCHEDULED. My dealer never mentioned not having an allocation.
Old 3/16/07, 09:58 AM
V6 Member

I am awaiting the 2008 Order Guide for confirmation that Windveil Blue will be discontinued. If I want a new WB, I understand I need to order very soon. However, I also want the limited-availability 18 inch polished wheels. Perhaps Jeff or another expert could comment on what would likely happen: the car would not get built at all, a wheel substitution would occur, or perhaps it would get built as specified. I'm in Houston where it seems several of the 20 or so dealers would have allocation(s) to work with, so that should not be an issue.
Old 3/16/07, 05:29 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by roush235
I am awaiting the 2008 Order Guide for confirmation that Windveil Blue will be discontinued. If I want a new WB, I understand I need to order very soon. However, I also want the limited-availability 18 inch polished wheels. Perhaps Jeff or another expert could comment on what would likely happen: the car would not get built at all, a wheel substitution would occur, or perhaps it would get built as specified. I'm in Houston where it seems several of the 20 or so dealers would have allocation(s) to work with, so that should not be an issue.
LOL...not an expert, just have lived through this process enough times. There is no constraint on these wheels as far as I know. Once your dealer places an order they can see if there are any issues. If they have allocation the order will go right through and you'll have a VIN and a build date in a few days. The 07 order books close in May I believe. It's posted here someplace.
Old 3/16/07, 06:07 PM
GT Member

How hard is it to find similar 18" polished Bullitts in the aftermarket that look similar? I thought you could get them from a number of sources, although there may be an issue with the tire pressure monitoring system as discussed elsewhere on this forum.
Old 3/16/07, 06:24 PM
V6 Member

Update, I called the Evil Robot Lady today and low and behold my order has been serialized!!! I don't have the VIN or delivery date yet, but the dealer should have this next week. I think I understand this process a little better now. My priority code was 10 until this week, it then changed to 2 and the order got pulled. I think my dealer was giving me a line about the wheels being the holdup. The reality is they didn't have allocation, so I was in a queue. Not sure I agree with Ford's approach to this order system, but I supose there are many dimensions to consider. I just wish my dealer leveled with me. I haven't called him on it and probably won't at this point since I am happy otherwise.
One other question for you guys, is it now too late to change an option on the order? I am getting the aluminum dash, but have recently seen pics of the optional charcoal dash and really like it. I like aluminum too, so I can live with either and will be happy. Thanks for all the responses on this thread. Hopefully it will help educate others on the Ford order process.

Quick Reply: 18" Chrome Bullet wheels holding up orders?