Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

trackday at road america - tape terminals?

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/13, 07:59 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trackday at road america - tape terminals?

hello all, i signed up for midwest fbody association's track day at road america. their rules state that battery terminals must be taped. what is that, just wrapping them them in electrical tape even if you have the factory covers? it's my first track day. thanks,
Old 4/29/13, 08:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
I haven't heard of that in the past, I'd bring electrical tape with you just incase. Typically as long as the battery is secured down and the terminals have secure attachments, you're fine. I've run a small DEKA lightweight battery that did not have caps in my previous car at several events with no issues.

Let me know if you have any other 'first track day' questions. I've been doing them for a couple years and am happy to pass along anything I've learned.

Jealous you get to run at Road America!
Old 4/30/13, 06:29 AM
GT Member

Thanks. I hope it doesn't rain. Ive been on the track before, once back in early 90's with a crx si and it was a blast! Then a few years ago but there were so many cars it just wasn't as fun. Im really looking forward to this.

Its my understanding there's at least two if these events in Wisconsin.
Old 5/1/13, 04:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Rain can be a lot of fun... I've done a couple days where it has rained, although I was in a AWD car. That is the best, it absolutely screams around the track in the rain

Just learn the 'rain line' if it does get wet and watch the corner exits.

Hope you enjoy - post some pictures and videos if you capture any!

Did you put in track pads? Can get brake fade with OEM pads pretty quickly if you drive hard... that's the very first thing I'll have for my car before I get her out for a road course
Old 5/1/13, 07:57 PM
GT Member

i had a wrx for 10 years and yeah awd is fun in the rain! this will take some getting used to for me with all the power. i've had rwd before, but nothing with enough power to get more than a chirp at launch in the dry.

yeah it all starts with a track day. then brake pads. then struts and might as well do springs and then... hahaha.

can't wait.
Old 5/2/13, 09:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Haha yes, a track day is how it all starts. I refuse to add up all the $ I spent on my previous car as a result of getting hooked on track driving. Only identified $3k of parts I want/need for the Mustang to support track days so far. I hit that with the brake kit and tires alone on the last car!

Good luck - curious to see how it works out! I won't be able to get my (yet to be delivered) Mustang out until August, so I'm just living vicariously through others who are attending track days for now!
Old 5/4/13, 06:20 PM
GT Member

where do i begin? EVERTHING IS DIFFERENT NOW!

i even got a ride in an m3 with my NASA instructor. not sure what year it was, but the owner (a different instructor) had installed some type of brake package 6-piston up front - pizza pie slotted rotors. and this was not even a factory option. it was hard-core.

i have never experienced declaration like that EVER. so my instructor would hit the braking points and man i would fly forward out of my seat against the 3-point seat belt!

so for my kAB - HOLY ****. i'll never look at it the same again! i was worried going into this a) because i never had this much power b) i've never pushed it hard anywhere near the limits and here i am at ROAD AMERICA. i mean, i thought you could hit 100mph without realizing it - scratch that you can hit 120mph without realizing it! (my instructor in that m3 would hit 140mph and through the carousel at 80)

on the parade lap of novices, i was 1st in line behind a gallardo super orange bullet and a nervous wreck. my 1st session with the instructor i was a even more nervous because speeds were up and pressure was on. but he was a SUPER instructor, the guy was just unbelievable and talked me through every turn.

i finished the 2nd session he asked "how's your heart rate?", "hm, i'm actually pretty calm, i feel normal". "i could tell you're a lot smoother and doing better". i even had two wheels in the grass after the carousel and before that i had gone WAY too deep in turn 5 but kept it on the surface. but i was still calm and comfortable now.

3rd session i cooked some turns and he said the reason was because i was nailing the previous corners so carrying a lot more speed. i even remarked that i couldn't smell my brakes as much and he said it was because i was smoother. so yeah, kudos to me for learning!

ha! back in the 1st session i was like "what's that smell? oh it must be racing gas exhaust or something from the cars in front of me" then i finally asked and yep he said it's your brakes.

then he took me out in the m3, then after that, i had a little time for a rest and realized how cooked i was and told him at these speeds, i'd rather not take the risk of a lapse of judgement and he totally respected that - it's all about fun!

then i just drove around the track and watched the other cars for a while. man was this just kick-a**.

so the big take away from talking with those guys and from what i experienced is brakes. suspension, power, even the all-season pirelli's all things i won't out-drive anytime soon. but to get more confidence in charging towards those corners brake pads/fluid and cooling seem like very good options.

still though - driver mod = best mod ever.
Old 5/5/13, 06:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Sounds like you had a great time... funny you mention the M3 and the braking. My first time out on the track ~4 years ago my instructor had a E36 M3 that was essentially a track only car. I had the same takeaway - the braking was so far beyond anything I'd experienced ever before. That was my inspiration to get a 4-pot Stoptech setup with 2 piece rotors on my last car, and of course the Brembo option on my new Mustang...

Its great to see your last sentance - driver mod = best mod ever. It's absolutely true. I would much rather spend extra money on track time than on power modifications (in a 420 hp car especially)...

Good that you had a great experience with the instructor - they are typically very good. I've only had 1 in the past who I didn't particularly like (didn't do anything wrong, just didn't give me any feedback).

Sounds like you didn't cook the brakes, which is good, but I highly recommend doing at least high temp fluid (Motul RBF600 is good) and some track pads. You experienced the M3 braking, and a good set of track pads will do wonders for your braking even with the stock setup.

When's the next track day?
Old 5/6/13, 07:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Congrats on your first track day! It'll always be one of the best memories you have, if you're like me! Road America is a tough place to do your first one, with the speeds as high as they are, but man do I love that place too. The other great spot in WI to do a track day is Blackhawk Farms, which is just outside of Beloit.
Old 5/6/13, 07:35 PM
GT Member

yep it was fantastic! i definitely will move towards better pads and fluids. i'm not too keen on changing them out the day of however. i've changed rotors and pads on my wrx, but it didn't happen quickly. perhaps better tools and experience would've helped. and like they said at the track, i'll have to get a breaker bar and torque wrench.

black hawk farms would be cool too! i'm not sure how soon i'm going to be able to do another but i hope to get to a 2nd one this year!
Old 5/6/13, 08:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Get an electric impact gun for track days. Makes rotating wheels and brake pad/rotor changes an easy task.

You running OEM oil?
Old 5/7/13, 05:44 PM
GT Member

OEM oil - yes? i had it changed at 4500 miles by dealer and had them use full synthetic... it's the ford stuff motocraft is it? tools to make it easier/less grunting, would be the ticket for me. some type of jack too.

oh, you know the other thing that really kind of stood out for me was lacking the sense of hearing. it's all pretty much wind noise. so that kind of dulls you. i suppose that's always the case unless you get really obnoxious mufflers.

the gallardo that i followed on the parade lap, ok he overcame the wind noise hahaha. i was surprised how loud that was!
Old 5/8/13, 07:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2013kAB
OEM oil - yes? i had it changed at 4500 miles by dealer and had them use full synthetic... it's the ford stuff motocraft is it? tools to make it easier/less grunting, would be the ticket for me. some type of jack too.

oh, you know the other thing that really kind of stood out for me was lacking the sense of hearing. it's all pretty much wind noise. so that kind of dulls you. i suppose that's always the case unless you get really obnoxious mufflers.

the gallardo that i followed on the parade lap, ok he overcame the wind noise hahaha. i was surprised how loud that was!
Something to consider next time you do an oil change - send in a sample for oil analysis. A couple guys have done analysis on the Motocraft 5w50 OEM oil and it has not held up well... Just something to research and consider

I completely understand what you mean regarding the lack of hearing. With a helmet on and windows down, you can easily lose the sound of the engine. I have always used engine sounds to judge shift points, and for that reason alone I am going to put on different axle-backs immediately. Drives me crazy to not be able to appropriately hear the engine!

Funny you mention the Gallardo - I've got a video somewhere of me chasing a Gallardo at Limerock in CT - the driver wasn't very good, but when he stepped on it that thing made some noise!
Old 5/8/13, 07:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Did the Gallardo sound like this one?

Old 5/8/13, 08:07 PM
GT Member

you know, i've always done the mobile1 synthetic. but for this i thought maybe i'll try something different. but after your comments i think i will go back my gallardo sounded pretty tough, not sweet like what you had in your video. and i just have to say - video does NOT do justice to tracking a car!
Old 5/8/13, 09:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2013kAB
you know, i've always done the mobile1 synthetic. but for this i thought maybe i'll try something different. but after your comments i think i will go back my gallardo sounded pretty tough, not sweet like what you had in your video. and i just have to say - video does NOT do justice to tracking a car!
You're absolutely right, video footage does not come close to doing justice. Although with the right perspective, it can be pretty good... that one I posted is a very old video of mine (well before the GoPro days).

I like the bumper mounted angle - gives a good perspective of the speed...
Old 5/9/13, 05:18 PM
GT Member

lol - your video does accurately portray what you hear when you hit high-speeds though! it's the exact same sound.

hey- geez i just noticed with this post i'm not a gt member
Old 5/9/13, 05:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

haha yes, it does accurately portray wind noise! The gopro is better at filtering the wind noise out...

Looking forward to hitting Limerock next Friday with the Audi Club - 2 days on the track! Although not with my car... borrowing either a Mini (well prepped for the track) or a Audi Coupe GT (also prepped for the track). Can't wait!