Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Roush wing?

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/08, 12:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roush wing?

Anybody use this for track days? Please don't fill this thread with "rice" comments.
Old 9/3/08, 05:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No experience with it, but it looks similar to the APR wings:

http://www.aprperformance.com/index....d=32&Itemid=45

We have a few good options--Roush's, APR's, and the FR500S wing through FRPP.
Old 9/3/08, 08:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Have one on our Track Pak clone. Haven't had the chance to measure its true effects with a datalogger or anything, but it's adjustable.

Old 9/3/08, 09:14 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
It works, but unless you have suspension upgrades, as well as power upgrades, you really wont notice a huge difference, just like most wings. I'm not sure of how it mounts onto the decklid, but i wouldnt want to put holes in the trunk for a few trackdays every now and then, JMO.
Old 9/4/08, 06:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StangMahn
It works, but unless you have suspension upgrades, as well as power upgrades, you really wont notice a huge difference, just like most wings. I'm not sure of how it mounts onto the decklid, but i wouldnt want to put holes in the trunk for a few trackdays every now and then, JMO.
I'm sorta with you on the suspension upgrades, but downforce is downforce irrespective of power levels. If I can hit 100 mph on a sweeper with stock power levels, a well engineered wing will generate useable downforce. True, I might be at 110 or 120 on that same turn if I were putting down 400 rwhp, which in turn would yield more downforce, but that doesn't mean on stock power levels aero add-ons don't make very noticable differences. Just ask the FR500S racers. (or any other production car based racing class for that matter)

You will potentially sacrifice some top end speed on long straights due to the drag, but if the angle of attack is tuned properly, in the balance you will still have quicker lap times.

As for mounting, a good option is to just purchase a spare decklid and swap the entire unit out for track days. That's the route I'll take *if* I feel the need for a wing.

And before I forget, the Steeda wings are actually proving themselves to work in competition. Even the lower street wing is being used by some of the Koni Challenge/Grand Am Cup teams and the taller version was used on the Mustang Challenge prototypes.
Old 9/8/08, 10:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT
Have one on our Track Pak clone. Haven't had the chance to measure its true effects with a datalogger or anything, but it's adjustable.

Sweet!

How much do those wheels weigh?
Old 9/8/08, 05:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Pwny
Sweet!

How much do those wheels weigh?
Either 26 or 28lbs, I can't remember which...certainly not lightweight. They are 18x10, though. We're restricted to using those due to the "Roush" class interest. However, it's not a disadvantage since everyone else in the class has to run them as well