Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Roush Racing announces Pirelli World Challenge team

Search this Thread

Old 11/4/13, 10:26 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Roush Racing announces Pirelli World Challenge team

http://www.racer.com/roush-racing-an...rticle/319342/

The Roush Performance team has announced that it will compete in the Pirelli World Challenge series' GTS class for the 2014 season. The team is coming over from Grand-Am's Continental Tire series, where it has been competing since 2009 and where Jack Roush Jr. has been competing since 2006.

"We've had some great success racing in Grand-Am, with 10 victories, and 24 podiums," said Roush Jr. "Racing in Grand-Am over the past several years is an opportunity that I will always be grateful for. I have great respect both for the series and the competitors there. As for the Pirelli World Challenge, we are very excited about the new adventure ahead. The series has its own great history, format, and competitors to tend with."
I find this interesting . . . seems odd that a Roush team would be leaving the NASCAR owned Grand-Am Continental Series and move to World Challenge.

I'd still like to see a Mustang team step up to GT Daytona or GT Le Mans in the USCC.

Last edited by Evil_Capri; 11/4/13 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11/5/13, 10:40 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy

The Mustang teams appeared to be penalized too much by the rules in the continental series. The air intake restrictions were ridiculous.
Old 11/6/13, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Each series comes with it's own set of rules and restrictions. There was a protest by the WC Mustang teams at Mid-Ohio in 2012 to draw attention to some of the restrictions.

World Challenge is an excellent series and I'm sure the Roush team will do well in it.
Old 11/10/13, 09:34 PM
Cobra Member

Be interesting to see how the Roush team makes a supercharger competitive in the world challenge series. The team must have found a way to minimize heat soak.
Old 11/12/13, 09:30 AM

No supercharger. This will be an NA 5.0L
Old 11/13/13, 10:32 AM
Cobra Member

Question

If Roush is going to run a NA 5.0, why did Roush have a Stage 3 Mustang with a Phase 3 supercharger on an aluminator engine on display at SEMA ? The Mustang Roush displayed was also showing off the new paint and sponsor for 2014.
Old 11/14/13, 12:24 PM

Because it's SEMA. The Supercharger is not legal for use in World Challenge.

We used to be teamed with Roush and ran the "427R" graphics on the car, but rules would not allow us to actually run that configuration on our grand-am cars.

It's marketing, and good at that. I'd love to grid the Supercharged Roush at certain tracks on the World Challenge schedule.
Old 11/15/13, 10:19 AM
Cobra Member

Smile

Thanks for clearing up the engine package for the Roush entry in the World Challenge series. I have never been to SEMA. I can only read about it on the internet or magazines. I rely on people like you to get the details on the SEMA displays.
Old 11/16/13, 12:25 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to know if Roush Racing is still running the CTSCC with Shelby Blackstock and Joey Attebury. Those guys were just starting to shine. Their performance at Laguna Seca was spectacular even though they got taken out by an Aston Martin at the end...

It sounds weird but the only reason I haven't gotten into Pirelli World Challenge is that I don't have TV and their online video quality is horrid compared to Grand AM and hopefully now IMSA. If they had true HD video with decent sound that would be great...
Old 11/26/13, 11:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Who are the drivers???? Where does Billy Johnson fit into this mix???
Old 11/27/13, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by slowjoe24
Who are the drivers???? Where does Billy Johnson fit into this mix???
Looks like Jack Roush Jr is the only driver. According to the article, Billy Johnson was going to have to find a new ride for 2014.
Old 12/1/13, 11:06 PM
Cobra Member

Question

I wonder if Multimatic will pick up Billy Johnson as a driver ?
Old 1/19/14, 08:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Billy Johnson will be co-driver with Ian James in the Miller Motorsports Mustang that is partnered with Multimatic in Continental Tire Sportscar Challenge.

Shelby Blackstock will continue his open wheel ProMazda series ride, as well as co drive the Fall Line BMW in Continental Tire Sportscar Challenge.

I'm not aware that Joey Atterbury has a ride for this year yet....but he's a great driver and is sure to land somewhere with an equally great ride.
Old 1/19/14, 09:00 AM
Bullitt Member

The car pictured in the first post of this thread, is the same car that was taken to SEMA. It is a Roush Performance development car, that is based off the Roush Stage 3 Mustang. It was wrapped to show the livery for Jack Jr.'s Pirelli World Challenge Mustang...as a demonstration of the livery only...it will not be the car to run in the PWC. It was taken to SEMA and other shows. In the photos, the car has 2 X's on the door because at the time the car's PWC # was not known. It was recently announced that Jack Jr.s' car will run the #60 in the PWC series. They tried to keep the #61 that he had run in the Grand Am series, but apparently it was not available for PWC.