Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Mustang wins SCCA T2 National Run-offs race

Old 9/24/12, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang wins SCCA T2 National Run-offs race

24 September 2012
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Knowles Races Ford Mustang GT to SCCA Touring 2 National Championship

For Phoenix Performance Team

Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
Sept. 23, 2012

Sports car racing veteran Don Knowles this morning gave the Phoenix Performance racing program, based in Phoenixville, Pa., its 19th Sports Car Club of America National Championship Runoffs title on the world-famous, 4.0 mile Road America circuit near Elkhart Lake, Wis.

For Knowles, of Pittsboro, N.C., it was his sixth National Championship since 1977 in the SCCA Club Racing ranks. The 49th Runoffs annually beings together the top points drivers in a variety of classes and categories from all Divisions across the country to compete for National Championships.

Phoenix Performance is owned by Joe Aquilante, whose crew prepared the high-performance Ford Mustang GT which Knowles raced, under the leadership of Crew Chief Drew Spotto, of Palm Bach, Fla., and Jeff Lucas.

Knowles and the Phoenix Performance Mustang were the car to beat in the Touring 2 class throughout the week-long buildup to Sunday morning’s race.

“Every time we went out for practice or qualifying, the Phoenix Performance crew had made the car better,” Knowles said. “I did not touch the car all week, other than when I washed it. This is my first year of racing a Ford Mustang, and I’m really pleased with it.”

“The combination of the Ford Racing suspension components, Penske Shocks, the top-shelf Phoenix Performance team’s preparation and setup, was my advantage all week. We were a package deal – the car, the brakes, and the tuneup they put on it. All that was left was for me to execute as a driver. Once I felt winning the race was within my grasp, I had to hang on and focus on hitting my marks in the turns.”

Knowles was quick to single-out Andrew Aquilante, Joe’s son and a winning professional sports car racer, for setting up the Mustang in a way that would make it a serious contender for the national title. “The Touring 2 class is a lot of fun because the cars have a real suspension beneath them, just like a Mustang GT you’d drive on the street. Today Drew Spotto, Andrew, and the Phoenix crew gave me a chassis setup that beat the best there is from the ranks of Porsche, Camaro, BMW, Nissan, Mitsubishi and Honda teams, as well as four other Mustang GTs identical to our car.”

“They handed me a car this morning that only had one instruction with it – ‘shut up and drive’.”

The 2012 Runoffs is the 15th time since 1977 that Knowles has qualified to compete in this event, which brings together points champions from all SCCA Divisions, and in a multitude of classes. A retired U.S. Department of Interior official, his first National Championship came in 1978, in only his second time at the invitation-only Runoffs.

In addition to his six National Championships, Knowles has finished second once and was third in two other years. Only once in 15 years has one of the cars he raced failed to finish the race. “You work with a team structure like Phoenix Performance, and a crew this experienced, and if you – as the driver – don’t screw up, you’re going to finish very high up in the order.”

“This is a great field of cars we raced against” added Knowles. “The Touring 2 class may have more variety than any other production-based class. We’re out there against Chevy Camaros, Mitsubishi EVO's, BMW M3 and Z4, Nissan 350 and 370 models, Honda S2000, and the Porsche 996.

“This Ford Mustang is one excellent car,” Knowles added. “No one these days makes a better ‘pony car’ than Ford. It has great high-performance brakes -- Brembo calipers with Hawk pads -- a powerful V8 engine, and excellent handling, thanks to the combination of the Ford Racing suspension components and Penske Shock Absorbers.”

Team sponsors include Phoenix Performance, Ford Racing, Hoosier tires, Hawk Brake pads, Ron Davis Racing Radiators, Brembo brakes and ARP racing products.

About Phoenix Performance:
Phoenix Performance, Inc., owned by Joe Aquilante, is based in a 32,000 sq. ft. race shop in Phoenixville, PA, 40 miles west of downtown Philadelphia. Phoenix Performance-prepared cars have won 19 SCCA National Club Racing Championships since 1999, two professional series Driver and Manufacturer Championships, and the GM Motorsports Winner’s Circle Award. For more information, call 610-482-0141 or visit www.phoenixperformanceinc.com and www.phoenixperformance.net.
Old 9/25/12, 06:20 PM
GT Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Phoenix Racing has an enviable track record, though mainly with GM. Looks like they may have to delve farther into the realm of the Blue Oval after this impressive win in a what many think is the most competitive , near stock, classification.

Congrats to Don Knowles and the Aquilantes!!!
Old 10/3/12, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello to the Mustang forum members. This is my first time post.

I was fortunate to win the 2012 SCCA Runoffs in T2 in a 2011 Mustang GT, prepped by Phoenix Performance and set up by Andrew Aquilante.

The car is very competitive at Road America. I had run a Pontiac Solstice previously but the SCCA did not provide the competition adjustment needed to keep it competitive, so the Mustang was the car of choice.

We had a Ford racing suspension, with Penske shocks, on the car and Andrew did a great job with the basic suspension set up. We were able to turn the fastest lap in qualifying but had only the 4th fastest lap in the race--the Camaro SS was fastest, the Evo was second, and the 996 Porsche was third.

I look forward to connecting with the Mustang community through this forum and want to say the Mustang did a great job for us at Road America!

don