Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Most important mod is still the driver mod

Search this Thread

Old 8/25/10, 07:27 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Most important mod is still the driver mod

Did the one-day NASA Hyperdrive at Summit Point over the weekend...This was my first time ever on track, and for whatever reason, finding the proper racing line during my session was much, much harder than I thought (evidently all my years of knowledge accumulated from the Gran Turismo games means very little when I'm actually behind the wheel)

Turns 5-6-7 seems to trip me up the most, which gave me crappy lines on 8-9and bad exit speed on 10...My instructor, bless him, was trying to tell me the proper way, but it just seemed to go against my (WRONG) natural instincts on where the car should be...

Still I had a wonderful time and would recommend it to anyone -- I had some reservations about driving 4.5 hours for a 25-minute session (13 laps), but it was SO worth it...I'm planning to do the whole weekend at VIR in October so I can get more out of my abilities and more out of the stock 5.0...

Other thoughts:

Driver skill can overcome huge deficits in performance -- I saw a Toyota Tundra on the track faster than all but a few cars...

The stock brembos held up flawlessly, but the Pirellis were kind of gooey and a lot worse for wear afterward (maybe due to my hamfisted noob driving style)
Old 8/25/10, 07:31 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a good time! A friend of mine (Jon) was there with a black 370Z... I think I saw your car in a few of the pictures his wife took.

As soon as I get my Mustang I'm going to start going with him to some HPDEs at Summit/VIR. Should be fun and I'm sure we'll see you there!
Old 8/25/10, 10:27 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
Sounds like a good time! A friend of mine (Jon) was there with a black 370Z... I think I saw your car in a few of the pictures his wife took.

As soon as I get my Mustang I'm going to start going with him to some HPDEs at Summit/VIR. Should be fun and I'm sure we'll see you there!
Yeah, that was me...She also shot me while driving and said she'll be e-mailing the photos to me soon...
Old 8/26/10, 05:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
post the pics. Any words of advice that you picked up that day?
Old 8/26/10, 02:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Let me sum it up quickly:

Old 8/27/10, 08:39 AM
GT Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Glenn
post the pics. Any words of advice that you picked up that day?
Photos are on my FB page (you don't have to friend me to see them) -- See my profile for the link...

Advice?? This is all elementary stuff, but very useful lessons I learned:

1. Study the track extensively before driving it; look for youtube clips of pros using the proper line...

2. When going to an event, bring a chair, umbrella, change of clothes, towels, food/drinks and some basic tools...

3. When coming off the track after a session, if possible AVOID driving on gravel roads -- My tires were hot and gooey, and picked up thousands of little rocks which got embedded...For a full hour on the drive home, I had to hear the constant pitter-patter of those pebbles coming loose in the wheelwell...

4. Vision and awareness are very important (front/back/side); many times beginning drivers get so concentrated on what's going on in front they can develop a hard tunnel vision which blocks the mind to potential danger (i.e., corner flag wavers)...You have to look far ahead and think 2-3 turns in advance sometimes, I was so worried about getting through one turn it screwed up my lines for the next ones...

5. Be polite and point people by to pass in designated zones...

6. If you've never done performance driving on a track, don't come in with false illusions of your driving skill -- If you're like me and most of your racing experience has come from Gran Turismo, then everything you know is probably wrong...

7. Try to be in tune with what the car is trying to communicate to you -- Remember to trust your instructor, even when he tells you to do something against your own (wrong) driving instincts...Remember this is a continually learning experience...

8. The people who do this for a living and makes tens of millions of dollars make this look so much easier than it is to regular people...
Old 8/27/10, 08:42 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
Let me sum it up quickly:

Very true...I'm holding off on mods until I can at least make the most of driving the car bone stock first...
Old 10/11/10, 09:30 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Tyrrell-Ford P34
Photos are on my FB page (you don't have to friend me to see them) -- See my profile for the link...

Advice?? This is all elementary stuff, but very useful lessons I learned:

1. Study the track extensively before driving it; look for youtube clips of pros using the proper line...

2. When going to an event, bring a chair, umbrella, change of clothes, towels, food/drinks and some basic tools...

3. When coming off the track after a session, if possible AVOID driving on gravel roads -- My tires were hot and gooey, and picked up thousands of little rocks which got embedded...For a full hour on the drive home, I had to hear the constant pitter-patter of those pebbles coming loose in the wheelwell...

4. Vision and awareness are very important (front/back/side); many times beginning drivers get so concentrated on what's going on in front they can develop a hard tunnel vision which blocks the mind to potential danger (i.e., corner flag wavers)...You have to look far ahead and think 2-3 turns in advance sometimes, I was so worried about getting through one turn it screwed up my lines for the next ones...

5. Be polite and point people by to pass in designated zones...

6. If you've never done performance driving on a track, don't come in with false illusions of your driving skill -- If you're like me and most of your racing experience has come from Gran Turismo, then everything you know is probably wrong...

7. Try to be in tune with what the car is trying to communicate to you -- Remember to trust your instructor, even when he tells you to do something against your own (wrong) driving instincts...Remember this is a continually learning experience...

8. The people who do this for a living and makes tens of millions of dollars make this look so much easier than it is to regular people...

All good tips.

I went through the HPDE program with NASA starting in '01 and starting racing American Iron in '05. Spend your money on track time. The first mods your car needs are brake cooling ducts and brake pads. You probably don't need these until you've done a few events. Your instructors will help guide you. Modern Mustangs are plenty fast enough and plenty fun enough in stock form.

Looking forward to meeting you at a future event.

Last edited by Mystic_Cobra; 10/11/10 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10/11/10, 09:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did Watkins Glen this summer and also had a blast and learned a lot. The instructor was my brothers best friend, and I was getting four sesions, so he gave me the choice during the first session to drive my car and have him try to explain the line or ride in his car and SEE the line. I choose his car and it made all the difference. I highly recommend this type of activity to improve the skills that can save your life on the street. Besides, it's fun as all get out! A shot coming through the esses at about 90 on the way to 150 down the backstretch.

Old 10/14/10, 09:26 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Dread53
I did Watkins Glen this summer and also had a blast and learned a lot. The instructor was my brothers best friend, and I was getting four sesions, so he gave me the choice during the first session to drive my car and have him try to explain the line or ride in his car and SEE the line. I choose his car and it made all the difference. I highly recommend this type of activity to improve the skills that can save your life on the street. Besides, it's fun as all get out! A shot coming through the esses at about 90 on the way to 150 down the backstretch.
Agreed...I'm surprised at how much I've learned during these sessions has transferred to my normal street driving...I highly reccommend it to anyone