Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

iPhone or Android for lap timers?

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/17, 12:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
iPhone or Android for lap timers?

My current i-Phone is up for a refresh and I have the option of a later model i-phone or an Android device . . .

Is either one better for lap timers such as Harry's Lap Timer? And also for the interface to OBDII plug-in?
Old 11/9/17, 01:07 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
This doesn't really answer your question, but I got the new iPhone X last week and really like it. Adjusting to the lack of a home button was easy.
Old 11/10/17, 08:09 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I have an I phone (which I don't like for a number of reasons) and it's had some issues with Harry's.

My vote would be Android.
Old 11/10/17, 10:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I have an I phone (which I don't like for a number of reasons) and it's had some issues with Harry's.

My vote would be Android.
I think Android is better for the OBDII interface, I used Torque on my S4 and it was good. Harry's worked but I never really got good at the interface.

They make Harry's for iOS - I do not have it, but at the time Harry's had features in the iOS client that were not on Android.

I now have an iPhone, my plan is to use Harry's on the iPhone and use my old Galaxy for Torque (or get a tablet).
Old 11/11/17, 06:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
I was leaning toward the Android too, I am not a big Apple fan because they hide everything from the user, it's Apple's way or the highway -- great if you like the way Apple wants you to work, but not so great if you want to work differently. I do not like being dependent on their cloud.

I have been using Track Addict on my current i-Phone 5 and it generally works OK, but I did have some mysterious problems with the OBD data not coming over on a few runs, which of course I did not know until it was too late.

I think I might have read somewhere about some limitations with Android but I can't remember where I saw it or exactly what it said, so hoping someone else has a better memory!

Haven't heard from dmichaels yet, hope he checks in soon, LOL . . . .

Last edited by Bert; 11/11/17 at 06:03 AM.