Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Ford & Roush Fenway Racing Unveil 2010 Nationwide Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10/13/09, 12:04 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Ford & Roush Fenway Racing Unveil 2010 Nationwide Mustang

FORD, ROUSH FENWAY RACING, AND CON-WAY FREIGHT UNVEIL NEW 2010 NATIONWIDE MUSTANG
Truck Series 2008 Rookie of the Year Colin Braun Will Drive the No. 16 Con-way Freight Mustang

CONCORD, N.C., October 13, 2009 – A new era of Mustang racing rolled out here today, piloted by an All-American driver and with a returning sponsor familiar to loyal NASCAR fans.

Three major events were rolled into one today as Ford teamed up with Roush Fenway Racing and Con-way Freight to unveil the No. 16 Con-way Freight Mustang with driver Colin Braun at Roush Fenway Racing headquarters in Concord, N.C.

Ford announced in July that Mustang, the iconic pony car that has raced for all 45 years of its existence, would compete in the NASCAR Nationwide Series beginning in July 2010 when a limited rollout of NASCAR’s new car begins at Daytona International Speedway. Today marked the first time the NASCAR Mustang was seen in public.

Braun, 21, a native of Ovalo, Texas, will make the move from the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, where he was the 2008 Raybestos Rookie of the Year, to a full-time Nationwide program next season, along with Con-way Freight, which has been his sponsor for the last two years. Roush Fenway and Con-way Freight recently agreed on a contract extension to remain as a primary sponsor for 18 Nationwide races within the organization.

“I’m so happy that Con-way Freight decided to move up with me to the Nationwide Series for 2010,” Braun said. “They have been a great sponsor for the past two years in the truck series so it means a lot to me that they will continue to support me in the future. I’m also looking forward to driving a Mustang next year. I’ve always thought they are such incredible cars, but have never owned one. Maybe when I win my first race the guys at Ford will want to give me one of my own.”

Mustang has a storied history in motorsports and can claim more than 2,000 professional race wins worldwide. Its iconic standing in the auto industry aside, Mustang brings a breath of fresh air and new sense of excitement to the NASCAR Nationwide Series.

“This truly marks the start of the next era of Mustang racing,” said Brian Wolfe, director, Ford North America Motorsports. “We fully expect this Mustang, with drivers like Colin behind the wheel, to start to enjoy the kind of success so many other Mustang racing programs have enjoyed throughout the last four decades.

“Mustang is a proud and historic brand for Ford. This is a car born to race, and NASCAR is the next logical step for its racing pedigree.”

Braun and Con-way Freight have had good success together and are experiencing a breakout season in 2009. Braun started the season by capturing his first of his three poles to date in the season-opening race at Daytona, and followed that up with his first NASCAR win, which came at Michigan International Speedway in June. He finished 13th in the point standings last year and currently sits seventh with five races remaining this season.

“We’re excited to help unveil the 2010 NASCAR Nationwide Mustang, and to announce Con-way Freight’s first-ever sponsorship in the Nationwide Series,” said John G. Labrie, president, Con-way Freight. “The opportunity to continue working with Ford, Roush Fenway Racing and Colin Braun is a great one for us. Colin’s talent on the track and competitive spirit remind us of our more than 20,000 employees and the commitment they bring to their jobs every day. All of us at Con-way Freight look forward to supporting Colin all the way to another Rookie of the Year win in 2010.”

Con-way Freight’s first venture into racing took place in 2005. In 2006, the company rebranded and changed its name, and a racing sponsorship provided an ideal opportunity to build awareness of the Con-way Freight brand in an entertaining and exciting way for both customers and employees.

“Through the first five years of Con-way Racing, we saw that the program was a huge win for Con-way Freight and our customers, so we made the decision to move forward with a new affiliation with Ford, Roush Fenway Racing and Colin Braun,” said Bill Wynne, vice president of marketing, Con-way Freight. “We’ve seen tremendous rewards from those relationships, and that’s why we’re here today to announce a new era of Con-way Racing action in the NASCAR Nationwide Series.”

Mustang currently competes professionally in the NHRA Funny Car and Pro Stock divisions and places like the Grand-Am KONI Challenge, SCCA World Challenge, and the Mustang Challenge Series. In addition, thousands of Mustangs see action by grassroots racers at road courses and drag strips all across America.

“I have been a Mustang owner and enthusiast for many years myself so this is an exciting day to see this car racing in NASCAR,” said car owner Jack Roush. “My teams have won several road racing championships over the years in Mustangs, and I look forward to winning more with Colin, Carl (Edwards) and Ricky (Stenhouse, Jr.). With the continued support of Ford and Con-way Freight we plan to give Colin the opportunity for his second Rookie of the Year title in NASCAR, and ultimately a Nationwide Series championship.”

Overall, Roush Fenway Racing has the most all-time victories in the NASCAR Nationwide Series with 107 and two driver championships, courtesy of Greg Biffle (2002) and Carl Edwards (2007).
Old 10/13/09, 12:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice event. Lots of press. Thanks Brad.
Old 10/13/09, 01:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Great coverage of the Live event!!! Thanks Rev!!!
Old 10/13/09, 01:52 PM

Old 10/13/09, 03:40 PM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Best looking nascar rig I have seen in a while. Though I do wish it was actually closer to stock cars.

Hey even nascar is getting into the black plastic design philosophy. I dig it.
Old 10/13/09, 04:00 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Can't wait for 2010 season.
Old 10/13/09, 05:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I might actually go to the Nationwide race, instead of just the cup race.

I also can't wait to see the challenger...
Old 10/13/09, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by YSUsteven
I might actually go to the Nationwide race, instead of just the cup race.

I also can't wait to see the challenger...

Old 10/13/09, 05:27 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"I’ve always thought they are such incredible cars, but have never owned one. Maybe when I win my first race the guys at Ford will want to give me one of my own.”

Geez kid... buy one like we did. Ford, its employees, and its shareholders, have fought hard to stay independent of government takeover. The least you could do is support your sponsor. IMO
Old 10/13/09, 06:56 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by TMSBrad

How come Dodge went all out with the challenger?
Old 10/13/09, 08:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Looks like crap. Changing the front and adding stickers doesn't make it any better then the Fusion. If Nascar was smart they'd use real Mustang, Camaros, and Challengers.....but then what would Toyota run?
Old 10/13/09, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by bpmurr
Looks like crap. Changing the front and adding stickers doesn't make it any better then the Fusion. If Nascar was smart they'd use real Mustang, Camaros, and Challengers.....but then what would Toyota run?
Old 10/13/09, 10:01 PM
Cobra Member

I wish it had a little bit more mustang shape rather than just stickers, I guess it's not as bad as it could be. Either way, now that the real thing is out, I wont likely finish this photoshop I was working on.
Attached Thumbnails Ford & Roush Fenway Racing Unveil 2010 Nationwide Mustang-nascar-gt500.jpg  
Old 10/14/09, 04:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was wanting more, but I was expecting this. Thanks Brad.
Old 10/14/09, 07:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Ehhh, it's the best they can do while keeping the actual body of each manufacturer from the same template.

Good to see though. I wish they at least made the quarter window a little more like the Mustangs.
Old 10/14/09, 08:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by TMSBrad

I just have one question?? Why if the Challenger gets a sculpted hood, does the Mustang have a flat hood and not the power bulge??
Old 10/14/09, 09:26 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Probably an aerodynamic thing
Old 10/14/09, 11:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'm sure this Dodge was not a final design anyway!!
Old 10/14/09, 02:56 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bpmurr
Switch over to Lexus and run the LF-A.

Last edited by BA Mustang; 10/14/09 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10/14/09, 07:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

That Challenger front end looks way cool but it does not look very aero.

Quick Reply: Ford & Roush Fenway Racing Unveil 2010 Nationwide Mustang