Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Ford once planned to race fiberglass-bodied Mustang touring cars

Search this Thread

Old 3/31/14, 12:48 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Ford once planned to race fiberglass-bodied Mustang touring cars

Interesting article . . . with some cool information!

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2014...WS01/140339982

Tucked away on page nine of the May 9, 1964 issue of Competition Press and Autoweek is an intriguing little story: “FIA Rejects Ford Bid for Homolgation [sic].”

At the time, the Mustang had just made its world debut, but Ford was already scheming to fold the car into its “Total Performance” campaign. And the automaker apparently proposed to do so with a fleet of crazy fiberglass-bodied touring cars.

According to Competition Press, Ford tried to get the new Mustang classified as a touring car for international racing. “Ford's request for homologation,” we explained, "described the Mustang as a car with all fiberglass body, disc brakes on all four wheels, and a 289 cubic inch displacement engine equipped with four dual-throat Weber carburetors.”
Save for that 289 cu. in. motor (which sucked air and gas through a four-barrel carb in production form, not quad Webers), not much about this hypothetical Mustang touring car looked like the vehicles enthusiasts would eventually buy and race. It took a few years for the Mustang to sport disc brakes, for example. And though it isn't mentioned, we suspect the touring car would have had independent rear suspension to better compete with European offerings.

FIA officials rejected the request out of hand, noting that Ford had made no effort to even begin building the 1,000 cars required for homologation. The same officials noted that Ford made no bid to get the car classified as a Grand Touring car, either (that class had a lower homologation threshold of 100 cars). Nor did the Blue Oval try to have a steel-bodied Mustang homologated as a Touring Car at the time -- despite meeting all the requirements for that classification.
Old 3/31/14, 02:35 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've never seen Weber dual throat down drafts.
Had side drafts on my '74 J-H/Lotus 907. I loved tuning with my Uni-Syn. But then again, I'm an analog guy.