Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

First track day with R-comps 10/8

Search this Thread

Old 10/7/14, 08:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
First track day with R-comps 10/8

Headed to limerock tomorrow morning for a day of driving and instructing. I finall picked up some r-comps (BFG R1's). 275/35/18 which are on my new PF01 wheels. Quite excited to finally get the car out on some proper track tires after running over 1000 track miles this season on street tires.

I'll be happy if they get me about a second off previous times. Don't plan to push too hard, just go out and get a feel for the cars handling with r-comps. Should have some video tomorrow night.
Old 10/7/14, 11:51 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Looking forward to it! One of these days I'll get around to having a track car. Just wish there were more tracks around here to go to. Road Atlanta is 5 hours, VIR is 5, Sebring is 9-10.
Old 10/8/14, 03:55 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmichaels
Headed to limerock tomorrow morning for a day of driving and instructing. I finall picked up some r-comps (BFG R1's). 275/35/18 which are on my new PF01 wheels. Quite excited to finally get the car out on some proper track tires after running over 1000 track miles this season on street tires.

I'll be happy if they get me about a second off previous times. Don't plan to push too hard, just go out and get a feel for the cars handling with r-comps. Should have some video tomorrow night.
Make sure you get to the proper hot pressure!
Old 10/8/14, 05:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Headed to limerock tomorrow morning for a day of driving and instructing. I finall picked up some r-comps (BFG R1's). 275/35/18 which are on my new PF01 wheels. Quite excited to finally get the car out on some proper track tires after running over 1000 track miles this season on street tires. I'll be happy if they get me about a second off previous times. Don't plan to push too hard, just go out and get a feel for the cars handling with r-comps. Should have some video tomorrow night.
Looking for my next set of tires. Keep us posted on the R-comps. If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost of the track time for the day? I was signed up for performance driving school last week in SC ( two days for $250) but could not attend due to getting a engine replaced. I live in RI and would love to do something local but was not sure if there was anything like this in New England area..
Old 10/8/14, 06:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Well, huge fail on my part today... I picked up the wheels from the shop yesterday morning after the tires were mounted, and threw them right into my Jeep to tow to the track. Had my other track wheels on the Mustang (with the tires I've been using all season).

I was instructing today, so I ran the first 2 sessions on my usual setup (Sumitomo HTR Z III tires on GT500 wheels), and had time to swap over during lunch. Went to put on the lugs on the first PF01 w/R-comp and found that my socket was too big to fit into the wheel to torque the lug nut. I could get it snug, but as soon as I torqued it, the socket got TIGHTLY jammed into the wheel and could not be removed without backing out the lug nut. Sooo, I ran the whole day with the Sumi's...

Just placed an order for 19mm lug nuts, as the 19mm socket fits just fine. Why did the car come with 21mm?? Arrgghh

Today was an absolutely PERFECT day weather wise. 68, sunny, and dry with light breeze. Hoping and praying that my last 2014 event on 10/24 will be reasonably warm and of course dry. It will torture me if I have to wait until next season to run the r-comps. Especially seeing as I sort of bought 2 sets of them
Old 10/8/14, 06:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by pminri
Looking for my next set of tires. Keep us posted on the R-comps. If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost of the track time for the day? I was signed up for performance driving school last week in SC ( two days for $250) but could not attend due to getting a engine replaced. I live in RI and would love to do something local but was not sure if there was anything like this in New England area..
Today's event was with SCDA and was $345 for students.

On 10/24 I'm going with Loose Nut Motorsports again and they are $235 for the day.

There are TONS of track days in New England area. You're closest to Thompson Speedway which just re-opened its road course. Fun track.

Check Motorsportreg.com for local events. There are not many left this season, but almost every day of the week from April through early Oct there is an event going on at either Limerock, Thompson, NHMS, Watkins Glen, or NJMP. Let me know when you decide to go out!
Old 10/8/14, 07:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Went to put on the lugs on the first PF01 w/R-comp and found that my socket was too big to fit into the wheel to torque the lug nut.

Just placed an order for 19mm lug nuts, as the 19mm socket fits just fine. Why did the car come with 21mm?? Arrgghh
I found that a 13/16 (or 21mm) deep chrome 6 point works good. Just don't use a impact with it. Also, I tried r-comps (nitto nt01's) and did not like them. Not much better traction than my p-zero street tires. Now Pirelli slicks are a different story!
Old 10/8/14, 07:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2006mach1
I found that a 13/16 (or 21mm) deep chrome 6 point works good. Just don't use a impact with it. Also, I tried r-comps (nitto nt01's) and did not like them. Not much better traction than my p-zero street tires. Now Pirelli slicks are a different story!
I think the BFG R1's will be a huge difference compared with the tires I've been running. They are basically a slick.

I'll check the 6-point socket too

Thanks
Old 10/8/14, 08:38 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts

Hey man, happens to the best of us. Don't sweat it. At least you were able to go and still have fun. Congrats on instructing too!

I am running 19mm lug nuts with my SVE wheels and S04 tires as well. I'm not sure why our cars came with the 21mm lug nuts. They don't fit with any aftermarket wheel it seems like.

Hope you get to run your r-comps soon!
Old 10/9/14, 06:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Hey man, happens to the best of us. Don't sweat it. At least you were able to go and still have fun. Congrats on instructing too!

I am running 19mm lug nuts with my SVE wheels and S04 tires as well. I'm not sure why our cars came with the 21mm lug nuts. They don't fit with any aftermarket wheel it seems like.

Hope you get to run your r-comps soon!
Yeah it was a beautiful day out there and instructing with the guy who was driving the 2015 Corvette Z51 package was a blast. What a car.... Other guy in his nicely prepped, supercharged E36 M3 was a blast too.

Lugs arrive next week to hopefully support 10/24. Hope it's a nice day then!!
Old 10/9/14, 06:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Today's event was with SCDA and was $345 for students. On 10/24 I'm going with Loose Nut Motorsports again and they are $235 for the day. There are TONS of track days in New England area. You're closest to Thompson Speedway which just re-opened its road course. Fun track. Check Motorsportreg.com for local events. There are not many left this season, but almost every day of the week from April through early Oct there is an event going on at either Limerock, Thompson, NHMS, Watkins Glen, or NJMP. Let me know when you decide to go out!
Thanks for all the info. I'll start looking some events. I looked into Thompson right after I got back from Charlotte (50th celebration) and the website was so convoluted. The only thing I could find was a training course ($900 for weekend) and you could not use your own car.
Old 10/9/14, 11:53 AM
Former Vendor

Well, huge fail on my part today... I picked up the wheels from the shop yesterday morning after the tires were mounted, and threw them right into my Jeep to tow to the track. Had my other track wheels on the Mustang (with the tires I've been using all season).

I was instructing today, so I ran the first 2 sessions on my usual setup (Sumitomo HTR Z III tires on GT500 wheels), and had time to swap over during lunch. Went to put on the lugs on the first PF01 w/R-comp and found that my socket was too big to fit into the wheel to torque the lug nut. I could get it snug, but as soon as I torqued it, the socket got TIGHTLY jammed into the wheel and could not be removed without backing out the lug nut. Sooo, I ran the whole day with the Sumi's...

Today was an absolutely PERFECT day weather wise. 68, sunny, and dry with light breeze. Hoping and praying that my last 2014 event on 10/24 will be reasonably warm and of course dry. It will torture me if I have to wait until next season to run the r-comps. Especially seeing as I sort of bought 2 sets of them
For future reference the Apex Mustang wheel that we carry takes the stock 21mm lug nut....
Old 10/11/14, 07:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Big thanks to American Muscle for super fast shipment... ordered Wednesday night at like 10pm, and the new set of lugs were on my door Friday afternoon.

Think I might try mounting the wheels BEFORE getting to the track this time... Hope the weather cooperates for 10/24, as my Sumi's are not particularly pleased with being used for 1100 track miles, and I'd like to retire them