Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Anyone ever run a track day at New Jersey's Thunderbolt track?

Search this Thread

Old 8/4/12, 07:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone ever run a track day at New Jersey's Thunderbolt track?

Was wondering if anyone could comment on the track, especially from a Mustang perspective?

I have run at Watkins Glen (twice), Lime Rock, and Loudon New Hampshire.

I felt that Loudon was especially hard on the Mustang - it's a tight course where brakes and handling are way more important than horsepower. It seemed like the car could not really stretch its legs like it wanted to.

The Mustang was much more at home at Watkins Glen and Lime Rock. Lime Rock only has 1 major braking area - the end of the front stretch where you're slowing from about 120 mph down to 60 or so. After that the only brakes you use are just to settle the car down a little, so the brakes easily recover over the course of each lap. The Glen requires heavy braking at several points during each lap, but the brakes are up to it - if you are running DOT 4 fluid such as Super Blue ATE. But the Mustang shines at both Lime Rock and Watkins Glen because each track has long uphill runs where the engine's torque will pull away from smaller engines with ease.

From the videos on YouTube, I like that Thunderbolt seems to have plenty of runoff area everywhere, and I'm guessing that the half-mile straight is a blast (as well as a welcome breather each lap).

How do S197 Mustangs run at this track?
Old 8/5/12, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I've been there a few times and it was a of fun! However, I prefer drag racing.