Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning
View Poll Results: Which car polish is better?
Zaino
47.11%
Meguiars
52.89%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Zaino vs. Meguiars...

Search this Thread

Old 8/17/06, 08:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rrobello
looks good although kind of hard to tell exactly what I am looking at, are those waterspots or refection on the trunk lid?

why are you trying to hide the swirls? you want to remove them not hide them there are several good ways of doing this both by hand and machine. you will be much happier with the finish look if you do this then wax it.
reposting pictures with rectangles around the areas of interest. everywhere else is too much reflection and water spots interfering. The two areas outlined are a good representation of both halves of the spoiler. I'd go re-shoot the photos, but the sun is hidden and I'm taking the car to a body shop tomorrow to get egg marks taken out. I'm going to have them polish most of the car while it's there. They won't be waxing it. I'll do the entire car in Blackfire. Why a body shop, you might ask? They have the best reputation in town, but they don't have resources (time, staff?) to wax, and they figure let the customer use their personal favorite. And they say it saves me money

The reason I mention hiding the swirls is that Meguiar's NXT claims to hide, fill, or eliminate swirls. In my experience it doesn't do a very good job. I can't speak to Zaino's ability, but I'm of the opinion that it is a filler/hider as well. I did Zaino my car one time, but it was fairly new at the time and didn't have much in the way of swirls.

Lastly... the several Meguiars products that you indicate are harder to find than Gold Class and NXT. I'd be surprised if I can find all of them locally. I will go hunting for them over the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Zaino vs. Meguiars...-1-month-old-meguiars-.jpg   Zaino vs. Meguiars...-blackfire-.jpg  
Old 8/17/06, 08:43 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
A new car Zaino.
My older cars with wear on the paint Meguiars.
Zaino is too perfect, if you have scratches and swirls they will show unless you do a lot of prep work.
Meguiars Gold covers swirls better IMO.
I use both.
Old 8/17/06, 09:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have used both and I have to agree both are very good. I now use Zaino. I just think it looks better and seems more durable. I don't understand the problems some have with the cost of Zaino. If you spend over 27K for a car, isn't it worth a few extra dollars extra to protect it's looks. Old exotic dancers spend more on make-up then I spend on Zaino to keep my car looking good.
Old 8/17/06, 11:29 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Originally Posted by mbkintner
Really? I've never heard that before. Where can I read more about that? I'm just curious what the Zaino history is. Mike
let me see if I can find that info for you, I learned this from Meguiars at one of their detail days while learning about their history, they use to make a lot of peoples products without putting their name on it, especially before they really got into the consumer market instead of just the professional market, they stopped doing this some time ago though and now if they make something for another company they have their name on the product as well.
Old 8/17/06, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by nonsensez9
reposting pictures with rectangles around the areas of interest. everywhere else is too much reflection and water spots interfering. The two areas outlined are a good representation of both halves of the spoiler. I'd go re-shoot the photos, but the sun is hidden and I'm taking the car to a body shop tomorrow to get egg marks taken out. I'm going to have them polish most of the car while it's there. They won't be waxing it. I'll do the entire car in Blackfire. Why a body shop, you might ask? They have the best reputation in town, but they don't have resources (time, staff?) to wax, and they figure let the customer use their personal favorite. And they say it saves me money

The reason I mention hiding the swirls is that Meguiar's NXT claims to hide, fill, or eliminate swirls. In my experience it doesn't do a very good job. I can't speak to Zaino's ability, but I'm of the opinion that it is a filler/hider as well. I did Zaino my car one time, but it was fairly new at the time and didn't have much in the way of swirls.

Lastly... the several Meguiars products that you indicate are harder to find than Gold Class and NXT. I'd be surprised if I can find all of them locally. I will go hunting for them over the weekend.
you didnt have to repost the pics, but thank you. I am concerned about your waterspots, they look very bad, I hope the body shop takes care of those for you as well, but make sure that they simply do not just cut the paint with a cutting pad on a rotary, this will cause some hazing if not done propperly or followed up with some polishing, also make sure that they do remove the swirls and etchings because if they do just hide them with a quick polish and wax job then they will return after several washes. This is why I dont get why people are into simply hiding their flaws with wax whether it be Meguiars or Zaino, why not take the extra time to get rid of them if you are already doing it and spending the money? No matter how well a wax hides swirls you can always get a better "hiding" finish by polishing first, there are many detailers (especially at car dealerships; mostly with used cars) that will do a very quick job at doing just this, but then after several washes the owner is bumbed because all of the swirls are back, because they never actually went away.

as for finding the meguiars products click here....

www.meguiars.com

not only can you order it and have it shipped to your door, but they also list stores in your area that carry their products and if you call their customer help line they are very helpful for telling you where you can get this stuff if all else fails. They hooked me up with a retailer in SD that when I need something I call and he shows up at my door with his truck and I go on and get what I need.
Old 8/18/06, 10:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rrobello

as for finding the meguiars products click here....

www.meguiars.com

not only can you order it and have it shipped to your door, but they also list stores in your area that carry their products and if you call their customer help line they are very helpful for telling you where you can get this stuff if all else fails. They hooked me up with a retailer in SD that when I need something I call and he shows up at my door with his truck and I go on and get what I need.
They don't ship into Canada, I've tried. I know I can get some of the products locally as I have a #7 and #9 on the shelf.
Old 8/18/06, 11:46 AM
GT Member

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com

is an authorized meg's dealer and ships to Canada.
Old 8/20/06, 07:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

I did some shopping around today and found the #26 High Tech Yellow. They didn't have the #21, but I'm sure they would order it if I asked. That said, availability is not an issue.

As for my car... they sanded the hood with 3000 grit paper, followed by a compound with a rotary. Then used a finer polish on the entire car and applied a glaze. It looks fabulous. I drove it home and immediately applied the Blackfire Wed Diamond.

I'm pleased with the Blackfire product. It goes on remarkably thin, a little goes a long way, and wipes off with very little pressure... just the weight of my hand. I even applied some in direct sunlight and it behaves the same. (i've tried others in direct sun and it just bakes right on and won't come off without adding water).

Anyways, the Blackfire shine is as good as any to my inexperienced eye. I have no difficulty endorsing the Gloss Enhancing Polish and Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection. I will use it all up before venturing to another product.

The Blackfire Deep Gloss Spray, however, is a different story. I thought it would be like a quick-detailer. It is brutal to work with. Very streaky and extremely difficult to buff off. I won't be using that stuff, which is a shame because it contains they same polymer as the paint protectant, enhancing its longevity. It is just too difficult to work with.
Old 8/20/06, 11:47 PM

glad to hear they took care of your car but watch it carefully, after a couple of washes if it starts to not only show swirls or scratches but is very hazy then take it back to them ASAP it is their fault, I dont know exactly their process but if they only did that few of steps it could be that they were just covering up the sanding marks and after you wash off all that polish and wax it will be a sanded finish again, I hope this is not the case and they kicked **** on it, and perhaps they did do the full proper treatment and you are just summing it up, but they should use several compounds (getting less abrassive each time) before getting to the polishing phases. But good luck and I am glad it looks good.
Old 8/22/06, 06:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I Love the Meguiars NXT liquid the shine lasts long time keeps grime off long time , makes washing as easy as say when you just had a hair cutand rewash your head, simplicity at its best. I have never used Zaino but would give it a try maybe if I ever can find it around here ?
Old 8/22/06, 07:21 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your most likely only going to be able to find Zaino online - zainostore.com
Old 8/29/06, 12:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Your most likely only going to be able to find Zaino online - zainostore.com
Zaino for life here as well Z2 Pro, Z7 car wash, Z6 spray and just got the new Z8 the other day. If you call Sal Zaino (yes you can actually speak to the man himself) and tell him where you are he can refer you to one of his distributors in your area.
Old 8/29/06, 03:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Does anyone remember a comparison that some guy did between several waxes/polishes? He used Zaino, Klasse, and a few others on an M3, Jetta, and some other car. I saw a link somewhere but haven't been able to find it again.
Old 8/29/06, 04:32 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by MTAS
Zaino for life here as well Z2 Pro, Z7 car wash, Z6 spray and just got the new Z8 the other day. If you call Sal Zaino (yes you can actually speak to the man himself) and tell him where you are he can refer you to one of his distributors in your area.
You can tell Sal to send you some free Z6 for your referral fee. I was a Zaino sceptic until I saw Dave's car... ordered Zaino the next day.
NOW MY MOM USES ZAINO on her new Accord. And it looks great too.
Maybe that should be their new slogan - "Zaino - makes imports look good too!"
Old 8/29/06, 08:42 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Maybe that should be their new slogan - "Zaino - makes imports look good too!"
Well, that's a generous offer, but something tells me that the imports don't need any help.

Old 9/17/06, 08:29 PM
GT Member

Used both and very happy with either in terms of performance. However Zaino wins for two reasons:
1.) You can apply it in full sun and heat. Don't know about you guys, but I seem to always pick sunny days for care car.
2.) It is easier to apply and wipe off.
Old 9/18/06, 04:04 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And Zaino continues to maintain the lead...as expected.
Old 9/19/06, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
And Zaino continues to maintain the lead...as expected.
wow no wonder your arguements in other threads are so off base often, you dont use reliable tests to gather your data. If the entire world were to like one thing over another it does not mean that it is better, just that everyone perfered it for some reason. How about doing a real scientific comparison between the two instead of a popularity contest?
Old 9/19/06, 03:06 PM
GT Member

rrobello makes the logical point. The poll is a popularity contest. The reason I started using Zaino was because of a thread from a member who actually tested 4 different popular brands in 4 quadrants on the hood of his car. Over time he analyzed the ability to shed dirt, water, etc. Does anyone know where that thread is, or at least a link to it? Zaino won. It could have been paid for by Zaino himself, but if it was true, it was very convincing.
Oh, and I'm always a pushover for the underdog small business person.
Old 9/19/06, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by FalconDude
rrobello makes the logical point. The poll is a popularity contest. The reason I started using Zaino was because of a thread from a member who actually tested 4 different popular brands in 4 quadrants on the hood of his car. Over time he analyzed the ability to shed dirt, water, etc. Does anyone know where that thread is, or at least a link to it? Zaino won. It could have been paid for by Zaino himself, but if it was true, it was very convincing.
Oh, and I'm always a pushover for the underdog small business person.
what were the other 3 tested?

Quick Reply: Zaino vs. Meguiars...