Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning
View Poll Results: Which car polish is better?
Zaino
47.11%
Meguiars
52.89%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Zaino vs. Meguiars...

Search this Thread

Old 8/16/06, 08:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lodom
I've used both of them and they are comparable. If you factor in cost and availability, Meguiars NXT comes out on top. It may have been developed as a competitive answer to Zaino.
I agree,
Old 8/16/06, 08:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I've used both of them and they are comparable. If you factor in cost and availability, Meguiars NXT comes out on top. It may have been developed as a competitive answer to Zaino.
I agree, for the price, ease of use, availability and quality, you can't beat Meguiars.
Old 8/17/06, 06:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well I got my zaino complete super duty kit in last week and I hope to put it on my car this weekend. For those that have used it how long did it take you? I realize that depands on alot of factors but in general am I using up an entire weekend or can I bust it out in a day? Id like to get a few coats in. All I have been hearing about this stuff and the pics I have seen I cannot wait to get it on there and see it
Old 8/17/06, 06:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Webba
Well I got my zaino complete super duty kit in last week and I hope to put it on my car this weekend. For those that have used it how long did it take you? I realize that depands on alot of factors but in general am I using up an entire weekend or can I bust it out in a day? Id like to get a few coats in. All I have been hearing about this stuff and the pics I have seen I cannot wait to get it on there and see it
One busy day should get the job done ( I detailed the whole car with claybar and added three coats). But, if you want, drag it out over the whole weekend and add as many coats as you want!
Old 8/17/06, 07:00 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
claybar and 3 coats of zaino took me about 6-7 hours in total
Old 8/17/06, 07:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well I will bust a move and get it done in a day then. TY for the info What sucks is that I would love to have my 2 sonds help me but I dont dare!LOL They have helped wash it before so we will see. If I could just train them fully I could sit back and watch
Old 8/17/06, 10:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've only used Zaino and am happy with it (except for the cost) but as someone stated earlier we all have 25k - 35k cars so why gripe about a car care product that costs only a few dollars more. I am going to get some of the NXT and try it on my Tahoe sometime soon. I'll have Zaino and NXT going head to head and make a decision then, but for now I vote for Zaino.
Old 8/17/06, 01:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by black sunshine
Anyone ever use the Blackfire products????.....I've heard good things about them.
I just got the blackfire kit and did half the spoiler with it. These are not the best comparison photos because (a) the meguiars is one month old and (2) has some water spots. However if you look just to the right of the sun's reflection you can see how the blackfire hides a lot of the swirls. It does this better than a fresh coat of Meguiars NXT, in my opinion.

first photo is Meg's, 2nd blackfire
Attached Thumbnails Zaino vs. Meguiars...-1-month-old-meguiars.jpg   Zaino vs. Meguiars...-blackfire.jpg  
Old 8/17/06, 02:14 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Originally Posted by Eleanor Dreaming
I honestly can say I have not used Meguires products.
Ive noticed that several people voting for Zaino are saying that they havent even tried Meguiars, so how can this be a fair poll; perhaps people voting for Meguiars havent used Zaino. So what I am wondering is how many people who voted for one or the other hasnt used the other product that they voted for? perhaps we should reworked the poll choices. although while I personally think it all comes down to ones own personal preference I dont see how peoples opinions on things make one better than the other, make it more popular? yes. but better, not necessarily the only true test would be some actual scientific testing, one versus the other including how long they last and a blind test to see which people prefer solely based on looks.

BTW, just FYI for those that do not know, Meguiars has been doing this for about 100 years (cant remember if its just under or just over) and they use to make Zaino's products.

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT vbmenu_register("postmenu_720427", true);
Both of these products have to be excellent or people wouldn't STILL be using them. I personally have used Zaino (still do, & always will), but not Maguire's.
The Zaino is easy on, easy off and looks great when done like instructed. All liquids run off the car and other stuff (bird poop, etc) just takes a spritz of water or Z-6 and a quick wipe.
Is Zaino more expensive, sure, is it better that is arguable for sure, but come on people, you own a $25-$35k car and are squabbling over a few dollars on the polish/wax you use?
have you never used meguiars? is that what you are saying? and just a helpful tip you shouldnt use water to whipe off any above surface contaminants, especially if it isnt dionized water. It breaks down the wax protection you have on the car and can dull the shine. as for cost, if Meguiars cost 5 times as much as Zaino I would still chose it over Zaino, it isnt cost for me, it is the end result of the product and I have used almost all of Meguiars products and Zaino as well as many other companies.

Originally Posted by Warbird69
I've heard Zaino lasts longer than Meguires. Have any tests been done?
from personal experience Meguiars last longer and I know for a fact that when side by side Zaino doesnt give as dark and rich of a color to the car; and I know that one of the things they preach at their company is that Zaino doesnt change the color of the car; well why is that a good or bad thing? think about it. what I am talking about if done propperly and the right products Meguiars will change the color of the car, black is a perfect example, but this is not a bad thing. What it does is get deep into the paint and make it darker and richer fuller in color, and when compared the Meguiars will look like a BLACKER, DEEPER color (like you can jump into it), the Zaino is great but for show car results I take Meguiars for paint care any day.

Meguiars NXT comes out on top. It may have been developed as a competitive answer to Zaino.
actually NXT was developed for marketing purposes mainly, if you notice the Gold class packaging has American cars on it (as does most of their consumer line) and the Deep Crystal usually has a concourse style show car and the NXT has imports and is crazy coloring and stuff like that. Meguiars noticed that people in the import scene werent buying their product as much as people with domestics because they felt that the product wasnt for them, so through research they found that if they market to that crowd they would sell more and thus the packaging and it works, more people with imports buy that product line. NXT is awesome, I personally dont use it that often as I find the removal from a black show car finish is not as easy as their High Tech Yellow #26. The other main difference with NXT is that it is a synthetic polymer based wax vs a traditional carnuba. Which is better again is up to each individual, however if you like the NXT might I recommend you try their Synthetic Sealant #21 from their Profesional Mirror Glaze line. I think you will be very happy with the results. (I am very **** so I like to first polish with the Show Car Glaze #7, then follow with a first coat of wax being High Tech Yellow #26 let it dry and remove, then let sit overnight in the garage and do the High Tech one more time then follow up with the Synthetic Sealant #21 as a third and final coat of wax, when all done and the wax has worked its magic I either hit it with their quick detailer or their final inspection detailer for awesome results.)

Originally Posted by dkillourie
I use Scratch-X on the whole car at least 2 or 3 times a year

With the Scratch-X, they are almost all gone and it doesn't look like an 8 year old paint job.
why do you scratch-x so often? do you keep getting swirls in your finish? if so then you might want to modify your washing technique to one that is less invansive, something as simple as washing from top to bottom or a two bucket wash method would be very helpful at keeping the chances of putting swirls back into the finish. May I also suggest a grit gaurd for your buckets.

if you want to get them all out you should use a machine, the results are much better, just check out the thread I posted on the Meguiars detail day, there are pics of before and after, by hand vs machine. If youd like more info on this please fill free to PM me with questions I can point you in the direction of a safe easy way of getting started.

Originally Posted by nonsenzes9
I just got the blackfire kit and did half the spoiler with it. These are not the best comparison photos because (a) the meguiars is one month old and (2) has some water spots. However if you look just to the right of the sun's reflection you can see how the blackfire hides a lot of the swirls. It does this better than a fresh coat of Meguiars NXT, in my opinion.
looks good although kind of hard to tell exactly what I am looking at, are those waterspots or refection on the trunk lid?

why are you trying to hide the swirls? you want to remove them not hide them there are several good ways of doing this both by hand and machine. you will be much happier with the finish look if you do this then wax it.
Old 8/17/06, 02:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by rrobello
Ive noticed that several people voting for Zaino are saying that they havent even tried Meguiars, so how can this be a fair poll; perhaps people voting for Meguiars havent used Zaino. So what I am wondering is how many people who voted for one or the other hasnt used the other product that they voted for? perhaps we should reworked the poll choices. although while I personally think it all comes down to ones own personal preference I dont see how peoples opinions on things make one better than the other, make it more popular? yes. but better, not necessarily the only true test would be some actual scientific testing, one versus the other including how long they last and a blind test to see which people prefer solely based on looks.

BTW, just FYI for those that do not know, Meguiars has been doing this for about 100 years (cant remember if its just under or just over) and they use to make Zaino's products.

have you never used meguiars? is that what you are saying? and just a helpful tip you shouldnt use water to whipe off any above surface contaminants, especially if it isnt dionized water. It breaks down the wax protection you have on the car and can dull the shine. as for cost, if Meguiars cost 5 times as much as Zaino I would still chose it over Zaino, it isnt cost for me, it is the end result of the product and I have used almost all of Meguiars products and Zaino as well as many other companies.

from personal experience Meguiars last longer and I know for a fact that when side by side Zaino doesnt give as dark and rich of a color to the car; and I know that one of the things they preach at their company is that Zaino doesnt change the color of the car; well why is that a good or bad thing? think about it. what I am talking about if done propperly and the right products Meguiars will change the color of the car, black is a perfect example, but this is not a bad thing. What it does is get deep into the paint and make it darker and richer fuller in color, and when compared the Meguiars will look like a BLACKER, DEEPER color (like you can jump into it), the Zaino is great but for show car results I take Meguiars for paint care any day.

actually NXT was developed for marketing purposes mainly, if you notice the Gold class packaging has American cars on it (as does most of their consumer line) and the Deep Crystal usually has a concourse style show car and the NXT has imports and is crazy coloring and stuff like that. Meguiars noticed that people in the import scene werent buying their product as much as people with domestics because they felt that the product wasnt for them, so through research they found that if they market to that crowd they would sell more and thus the packaging and it works, more people with imports buy that product line. NXT is awesome, I personally dont use it that often as I find the removal from a black show car finish is not as easy as their High Tech Yellow #26. The other main difference with NXT is that it is a synthetic polymer based wax vs a traditional carnuba. Which is better again is up to each individual, however if you like the NXT might I recommend you try their Synthetic Sealant #21 from their Profesional Mirror Glaze line. I think you will be very happy with the results. (I am very **** so I like to first polish with the Show Car Glaze #7, then follow with a first coat of wax being High Tech Yellow #26 let it dry and remove, then let sit overnight in the garage and do the High Tech one more time then follow up with the Synthetic Sealant #21 as a third and final coat of wax, when all done and the wax has worked its magic I either hit it with their quick detailer or their final inspection detailer for awesome results.)

why do you scratch-x so often? do you keep getting swirls in your finish? if so then you might want to modify your washing technique to one that is less invansive, something as simple as washing from top to bottom or a two bucket wash method would be very helpful at keeping the chances of putting swirls back into the finish. May I also suggest a grit gaurd for your buckets.

if you want to get them all out you should use a machine, the results are much better, just check out the thread I posted on the Meguiars detail day, there are pics of before and after, by hand vs machine. If youd like more info on this please fill free to PM me with questions I can point you in the direction of a safe easy way of getting started.

looks good although kind of hard to tell exactly what I am looking at, are those waterspots or refection on the trunk lid?

why are you trying to hide the swirls? you want to remove them not hide them there are several good ways of doing this both by hand and machine. you will be much happier with the finish look if you do this then wax it.

word.
Old 8/17/06, 02:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

in all serious....Richard knows what he is talking about...the guy does this stuff for a living. Well beside pouring fine japanese beer.

I've used both...and can say I wont ever leave meguirs.
Old 8/17/06, 03:12 PM

Ease of use and Meguires. Not my experience. Meguires was one of the most difficult waxes to remove. I claybarred by 2000 Mustang and followed the Meguires 3 step program finishing with the #26 wax. Had to work like hell to get each product off. Looked good but I was dead tired and never wanted to do that again. I'll bet you guys don't do this by hand.

Always been a Turtle Wax fan until I bought my new 2006 Mustang and decided to try Zaino. Loved it from the start. I say the length of protection is right up there with the best of them. But the depth of shine is great. Very minimal powder residue, easy on & off. Beautiful lasting shine. Water sheets off the car like it never got wet.

But I agree with what was said earlier. There is tremendous brand loyalty...and for good reason. All these products are top notch and boils down to personal experience and frankly first impressions. You either fall in love the first time you use a wax or you move on to another product.
Old 8/17/06, 03:22 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ive noticed that several people voting for Zaino are saying that they havent even tried Meguiars, so how can this be a fair poll; perhaps people voting for Meguiars havent used Zaino. .
That and Meguiar's makes so many different types of wax. For example, the Gold Class sucks, but I'm wanting to try the NXT as I've heard it's pretty good.
Old 8/17/06, 03:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Meguiars, their new NXT Tech Wax. Very easy to put on AND take off. The shine last a long time, and all that is needed to make the car pretty again is a California Duster, and some Quick Detailer to take off any fingerprints. The smoothness is fantastic, and the shine in the sun is worth the effort of waxing. Their product is #1
That stuff is fantastico, no need to bother with anything else Thats funny I use the exact same things including the duster and quick detailer(well I use a commercial version that's a little better but don't know what its called, we get it in 55 gallon drums ).
Old 8/17/06, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ragnar
Ease of use and Meguires. Not my experience. Meguires was one of the most difficult waxes to remove. I claybarred by 2000 Mustang and followed the Meguires 3 step program finishing with the #26 wax. Had to work like hell to get each product off. Looked good but I was dead tired and never wanted to do that again. I'll bet you guys don't do this by hand.

Always been a Turtle Wax fan until I bought my new 2006 Mustang and decided to try Zaino. Loved it from the start. I say the length of protection is right up there with the best of them. But the depth of shine is great. Very minimal powder residue, easy on & off. Beautiful lasting shine. Water sheets off the car like it never got wet.

But I agree with what was said earlier. There is tremendous brand loyalty...and for good reason. All these products are top notch and boils down to personal experience and frankly first impressions. You either fall in love the first time you use a wax or you move on to another product.
it all depends on technique, if you are working too hard then you are doing something wrong, seriously. I do most of my stuff by hand unless I need to do some major paint repair, then I use a machine. But if you put too much on then it will be a pain to take off always with anything, or if it is not completely dry. Also the end results really have a lot to do with how you apply and take off, no matter what the product is that you are using, for example some people have bad results with ScratchX and say it doesnt work, when there are plenty of people that have awesome results, so what does this say? did they get a bad tube of scratchx? NO. theyre technique is wrong. knowing what you are doing is just as important as what you are using.

the reason I bring this up is because you mention #26, I use that often and on my car I can apply and remove that in about 20minutes, it also helps that I properly maintain my car and it has many good coats of wax on it, but #26 goes on and comes off like butter with no powder residue.
Old 8/17/06, 03:58 PM

it all depends on technique, if you are working too hard then you are doing something wrong, seriously. I do most of my stuff by hand unless I need to do some major paint repair, then I use a machine. But if you put too much on then it will be a pain to take off always with anything, or if it is not completely dry. Also the end results really have a lot to do with how you apply and take off, no matter what the product is that you are using, for example some people have bad results with ScratchX and say it doesnt work, when there are plenty of people that have awesome results, so what does this say? did they get a bad tube of scratchx? NO. theyre technique is wrong. knowing what you are doing is just as important as what you are using.

the reason I bring this up is because you mention #26, I use that often and on my car I can apply and remove that in about 20minutes, it also helps that I properly maintain my car and it has many good coats of wax on it, but #26 goes on and comes off like butter with no powder residue.
I agree on the thickness. It must be applied as thin as possible and allowed to completely dry. I'm **** about caring for my car and have over 30 years at this. I don't know what to say about my experiences with Meguires. There must be a reason it is one of the top products out there. Marketing alone won't do it.

Anyone like Pinacle? Big bucks for that.
Old 8/17/06, 04:29 PM
V6 Member

My washing method is taking it to the car wash and letting them do it . They do a pretty good job, but I do get some light swirl marks. I know, I should wash it myself. I do occasionally. But it's hot here in the desert and I don't have any shade in my driveway. I would have to get up at 6:00 to wash it before it gets so hot the water vaporizes before it hits the paint.

It's easier to take a cool car to the car wash, let them run it through, then go back and polish and wax it in the garage. It may not be the "right" way, but it works for me.
Old 8/17/06, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ragnar
I agree on the thickness. It must be applied as thin as possible and allowed to completely dry. I'm **** about caring for my car and have over 30 years at this. I don't know what to say about my experiences with Meguires. There must be a reason it is one of the top products out there. Marketing alone won't do it.

Anyone like Pinacle? Big bucks for that.
too each their own and all that matters in the end is a perfect looking car.
Old 8/17/06, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by dkillourie
My washing method is taking it to the car wash and letting them do it . They do a pretty good job, but I do get some light swirl marks. I know, I should wash it myself. I do occasionally. But it's hot here in the desert and I don't have any shade in my driveway. I would have to get up at 6:00 to wash it before it gets so hot the water vaporizes before it hits the paint.

It's easier to take a cool car to the car wash, let them run it through, then go back and polish and wax it in the garage. It may not be the "right" way, but it works for me.
well there is your reason for needing to scratchx a lot, they wash a lot of cars and the stuff they are using to touch your car is dirty by the time it gets to yours, too bad its hot out there, just make sure that you let your car cool off before applying the wax, when I went to Meguiars this weekend the temp on my hood, here in socal on the coast, was 140 degrees around 11am.
Old 8/17/06, 07:53 PM

Really? I've never heard that before. Where can I read more about that? I'm just curious what the Zaino history is. Mike

Quick Reply: Zaino vs. Meguiars...