Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning
View Poll Results: Which car polish is better?
Zaino
47.11%
Meguiars
52.89%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Zaino vs. Meguiars...

Search this Thread

Old 8/16/06, 03:51 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zaino vs. Meguiars...

Which do you prefer, which do you think is better...and why?
Old 8/16/06, 04:12 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as far as polish and wax (paint care in general) Meguiars hands down, I have used both and many other products and Zaino just doesnt give the same protection, deep shine, dark richness of color or even last nearly as long. The ultimate test is on black cars which is all I own. On black Zaino just isnt as dark and deep and it IS noticeable.
Old 8/16/06, 05:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Meguiars, their new NXT Tech Wax. Very easy to put on AND take off. The shine last a long time, and all that is needed to make the car pretty again is a California Duster, and some Quick Detailer to take off any fingerprints. The smoothness is fantastic, and the shine in the sun is worth the effort of waxing. Their product is #1
Old 8/16/06, 06:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Used both - overall I ended up liking the Meguires products better. The shines were very comparative so after that it came down to ease of use, which M won, then cost which M won. I can use the speed detail spray for a couple of weekends after a good waxing and it holds up great even with the amount of rain we get in Tampa.
Old 8/16/06, 06:56 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dunno which is better, but I've been extremely happy with Meguairs.

If someone wants to cough up the $100 for the Zaino starter kit for me, I'll be happy to do a side by side.
Old 8/16/06, 07:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

I honestly can say I have not used Meguires products. Zaino was the rage on here when my 05 was on order. I checked it out, yes expensive, but I decided for this lifetime dream car (I'm 45) I would give it a try. I have became a Zaino fan. I did exactly like the directions said, Dawn dishsoap, claybar, rewash, and then Z-2 with flash cure. I especially like that I can take wax off without feeling like am taking an aerobics class. I put on a coat waited an hour wiped it off, Z-6. Put on a second let it set over night and wiped it off the next morning and Z-6. Notice I did not say buffed. I have 7 coats on it now the last was put on in February. I can still wipe bugs off with a light mist of Z-6. For me it is worth it. Like everything else in the world, to each his own. This topic can and has been argued to death just like tuners, exhaust and CAI. If we were somewhere where only 1 type of car wax available, we would argue that point.
Old 8/16/06, 07:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Meguires. Been using their products for two years. Good stuff. Their Gold class wash and wax w/ clay bar use = one shiney car....and it doesn't tear a hole in your wallet

btw, it smells pretty good too!
Old 8/16/06, 07:50 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen a topic like this before,

My take on car polish is as long as you're happy with the product, that's all that matters.

I haven't used Meguiars but I am sure it is a great product (Just look at how shiny Barry Meguiar's teeth are).

I was sold on zaino when I saw a fellow member's car and decided to try it out on mine. While it is expensive, I am really pleased with the results. The car absolutely glows
Old 8/16/06, 07:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

I picked Zaino because I use it but I wouldn't go as far as saying its better. I'm extremely pleased with the product and it probably helped that when I had a question on how to take care of my matted hood and called them - I got Sal on the line and he gave me the info I needed
Old 8/16/06, 07:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

I had a long conversation with the busiest car detailer in my area a few years back, and he gave me a ton of tips. Among them was the tip that Meguiars products are what he uses. He never said that Zaino was bad or inferior, but he chose to use Meguiars. I've always had good luck with it, and I love the new NXT Tech Wax, because it goes on and wipes off so easily. You can't really go wrong with it.
Old 8/16/06, 08:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Both of these products have to be excellent or people wouldn't STILL be using them. I personally have used Zaino (still do, & always will), but not Maguire's.
The Zaino is easy on, easy off and looks great when done like instructed. All liquids run off the car and other stuff (bird poop, etc) just takes a spritz of water or Z-6 and a quick wipe.
Is Zaino more expensive, sure, is it better that is arguable for sure, but come on people, you own a $25-$35k car and are squabbling over a few dollars on the polish/wax you use?
Old 8/16/06, 09:09 AM
Bullitt Member

I've got a Zaino starter kit sitting by my side, waiting for 2 more weeks (and a nice weekend + a friendly neighbor/friend/co-worker to allow me to use their hose/driveway) before I Zaino up the ride. I'm known for screwing things up, but this seems so simple an idiot like me can do it.

I've heard Zaino lasts longer than Meguires. Have any tests been done?
Old 8/16/06, 11:37 AM
Cobra Member

I've used both of them and they are comparable. If you factor in cost and availability, Meguiars NXT comes out on top. It may have been developed as a competitive answer to Zaino.
Old 8/16/06, 12:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by lodom
I've used both of them and they are comparable. If you factor in cost and availability, Meguiars NXT comes out on top. It may have been developed as a competitive answer to Zaino.
This is probably as close to the truth as you'll read in this thread. I'm a Zaino guy, but I realise that the market has finally caught up to us. The NXT stuff is (almost ) as good, even easier to apply and more readily available. Zaino does last a long time. I'd be interested to see which one lasted longer.

Of course there is always something "better." Some of the boutique waxes (Souverain, Zymol, etc.) can produce even better results. But IMHO if you can afford that type of equipment you can afford to have someone else detail your car for you. Plus the true carnuba waxes don't last very long. It's worth it if you are trying to win a trophy, but not for my daily driver.
Old 8/16/06, 01:05 PM
V6 Member

I have never tried Zaino. When I bought my '98 in 2001, Meguiar's was a name I recognized, so I tried it. I have been very pleased with their products. I use Scratch-X on the whole car at least 2 or 3 times a year, and I use the polish and Gold Class liquid wax before most car shows (about 8-10 times a year). The result is a very smooth surface, with a nice deep color and shine.

The '98 had 30,000 miles on it when I bought it, and had some light surface scratches and swirl marks. With the Scratch-X, they are almost all gone and it doesn't look like an 8 year old paint job.
Old 8/16/06, 01:58 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Zaino'd my wife's Jeep a couple of months ago. Used my Meguiars Gold Class on my company car two weekends later.
Wife's Jeep has a bead as tight as airplane seats, but the water just sits on the Taurus like a puddle.
No comparison for me.
Old 8/16/06, 02:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone ever use the Blackfire products????.....I've heard good things about them.
Old 8/16/06, 05:54 PM
GT Member

ZAINO all the way for me, hands down. I have used both products, and in all honesty you could make the arguement that Zaino is a sealant and Mequiars is a wax. (see the websites for clarification) That is probably the best way to explain why Zaino applications will provide longer protection and a tighter bead. Yes however you do pay for the added protection. However my favorite thing about the Zaino products is the ease of application and removal.
Old 8/16/06, 06:16 PM
GT Member

Zaino, for me, has paid for itself. When I started using Zaino, people's reaction was incredible! Everyone started asking "So, when are you going to make my car look like that?" Whenever I have some spare time, I go and do someone's car. They then tell their friends about it which gives me more business.
Old 8/16/06, 06:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Meguiars NXT when we have time and shade, last week we used our Windstars's Nu-Finsh polish in full sun. It looks great and is faster.

Where Meguiars NXT wins out is the touch; SMOOTH! Has anyone else tried Nu-Finsh?

Quick Reply: Zaino vs. Meguiars...