Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Zaino in the sun?

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/05, 06:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the $85 Zaino kit. The instructions say you can apply Z-2 and Z-5 on a cool surface in the shade OR sun. I was always under the impression that you should never apply wax/polish to a car in direct sunlight. Can anyone shed any light (no pun intended) on this subject? Also, I live in Texas...would 100+ degrees in direct sunlight null and void the "cool surface" requirement?

Thanks for the info.
Old 9/25/05, 07:04 PM
GT Member

I use Zaino in West Texas. Very hot here as I am sure you know. I apply wax early in the morning 8:00AM before sun is very high in the sky and temps are in the high 70's. Use the activator and then you can remove at any time you want. I have never applied the polish in the heat of the day becausre the car gets too hot IMO.

Good Luck and Zaino Power!

Old 9/25/05, 07:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Dang, that is one shiny black Mustang!

Do you have any other Zaino tips? I was thinking of doing it like this...
1) wash with Zaino car wash, dry
2) do a coat of Z-5
3) buff with Z-6 (the gloss enhancing spray)
4) do a coat of Z-2
5) buff with Z-6 again

Is that over kill? Thanks again!
Old 9/26/05, 01:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by clockworks@September 25, 2005, 7:57 PM

2) do a coat of Z-5
4) do a coat of Z-2
5) buff with Z-6 again

Sounds good, but if its your FIRST time doing the Zaino process you must wash with Dawn dish soap or the like. Only the first time mind you. Also, for your first application of Zaino product you must use either the ZFX or the old Z-1 Lok. Sounds good what you have in mind, get a real kick in the pants and get a bottle of Z8 to finish her off!!
Old 9/26/05, 04:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scott I want your darn Stang bud...nice car!
Old 9/26/05, 09:18 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by clockworks@September 25, 2005, 7:57 PM

2) do a coat of Z-5
4) do a coat of Z-2
5) buff with Z-6 again

No that is not over kill and you do always want to have Z2 as your last coat of polish and then just apply the z6 or better yet the Z8 between polishes. The only other trick I have found is to be sure and apply horizontal stripes of polish with as small an overlap as possible on the hood an trunk and vertical stripes on the sides. Thin is best. I really think this makes difference in the rflective quality of the polish.
Old 9/26/05, 09:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

In Texas also, but always start early and pull her into the garage and apply the coats then. I think Sal or which ever Zaino wrote up the instructions said he did it in the Arizona sunlight, so I dont think applying it in the sun is a problem.

My question, is do you always have to use the ZFX with every application? Or is that just for the first time? I have already put 5 or 6 coats, but for down the road do I have to bust out the mixing bottle and ZFX?
Old 9/26/05, 09:50 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by uofh2005@September 26, 2005, 9:44 PM
Do you always have to use the ZFX with every application? Or is that just for the first time? I have already put 5 or 6 coats, but for down the road do I have to bust out the mixing bottle and ZFX?
You do't have to use it but if you don't you have to wait a long long long long time for it to cure:

Like all other polymer based polish and protection systems, Zaino Show Car Polish must cure before applying subsequent coats. The curing process allows the polymer chains to cross-link, building strength and durability. If the polymer strands have not cross-linked (cured), applying a fresh coat of polish will not achieve the optimum layered result. Consequently, creating a show car finish can be a long process of applying a layer, waiting, and applying another layer.

The Wait is Over!
Zaino ZFXâ„¢ Show Car Polish accelerator solves the wait problem. We worked for several years to engineer a molecular reaction that causes the polymers in Zaino Show Car Polish to set rapidly. Using ZFXâ„¢ with your choice of Z-2 PRO, Z-3 or Z-5 Show Car Polish, it is now possible to apply two or three coats of polish in a single day to create beautiful show car special effects. The result is nothing less than stunning.

ZFXâ„¢ saves you time and effort. It's no longer necessary to keep your car in the garage for a whole weekend just so you can apply two or three coats of polish. Using ZFXâ„¢, you'll apply multiple coats in just a few hours.