Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Winter Wash

Search this Thread

Old 12/12/05, 10:07 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove the car through a lot of snow and salt over the weekend, so I decided to just give her a wash. My gloves are not waterproof so, my hands were frozen solid by the time I was done wiping her down. :bang: Hence here I am, trying to find out what kinda gloves you pros use while washing your car in winter. Suggestions please.
Old 12/12/05, 10:25 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
real men don't wear gloves

Seriously though I just let my car drip dry in the winter. It gets dirty after 2 seconds on the road anyway.
Old 12/12/05, 10:41 AM
Queen Of Nascar

I sympathize because I washed mine on Friday and even using warm water my hands froze too. Someone needs to come out with some waterproof gloves.
Old 12/12/05, 10:44 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you really don't want to freeze your hands off, try using those gawdaful long dishwashing gloves. You can get some that are lined, or go to a store that sells Farm equipment. Normally you can find some winter gloves there that have been covered in some sort of latex. Your hands will stay warm and won't get wet.
Old 12/12/05, 11:40 AM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Originally posted by Screamer@December 12, 2005, 1:10 PM
Drove the car through a lot of snow and salt over the weekend, so I decided to just give her a wash. My gloves are not waterproof so, my hands were frozen solid by the time I was done wiping her down. :bang: Hence here I am, trying to find out what kinda gloves you pros use while washing your car in winter. Suggestions please.

I put on those yellow (check your local store - they have new colours/thicknesses) rubber dish washing gloves on both hands, and then put the wash mitt on my right hand over the glove. I make sure i fill the bucket up in the house with warm water and just hand wash as normal. I find if it's below -5 CELSIUS the water on the car freezes before I get a chance to rinse off - it's handy then to have someone there to follow you around rinsing/drying as you go. As soon as the car is washed, I pull it into the garage to finish drying so it doesn't freeze.

If it is below -5C and I don't have any help, I go to a DIY wash bay at night (so that noone is around to tell me I can't bucket wash) and I use their hose/sprayer since it's heated water and usually the bays are sheltered enough so the water doesn't freeze before I can dry.

If it's REALLY cold, put on a pair of those thin stretchy girly gloves underneath the yellow rubber gloves. Just tell yourself that people already think you're nuts for washing a car in these temps, so they won't notice the gloves.

Old 12/12/05, 12:28 PM
Bullitt Member

You can use neoprene gloves. (same stuff dive suits are made of) They won't keep your hands dry but the fabric keeps the heat of you body in. Just a thought
Old 12/12/05, 12:29 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I guess using dish washing gloves is not a bad idea. I hadn't thought of that. I'm sure I'll look silly wearing them while washing the car, but who cares. At least those yellow gloves will match my car color.
Old 12/12/05, 12:32 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by CANES fan@December 12, 2005, 3:31 PM
You can use neoprene gloves. (same stuff dive suits are made of) They won't keep your hands dry but the fabric keeps the heat of you body in. Just a thought
Thanks a lot CANES fan. I think those would be perfect. Just did a quick search in google and found these waterproof ones. Available in different colors too.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...g=UTF8&v=glance
Old 12/12/05, 03:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I just pull the car into the shop wich is about 65-70 degrees and wash away.
Came up sunday when closed and put up on a lift and washed the salt off the belly. Man was that stuff nasty.

Benefit of managing a goodyear store.
Old 12/12/05, 05:44 PM
Bullitt Member

For y'all that have had your car over a winter already, Is there any particular place on the 05 that needs special attention to remove winter debris/grime/etc?
Old 12/12/05, 05:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I did notice i had alot of ice/slush built way up in the rear wheel wells. make sure to clean them out good