Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Why wax the Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 6/27/05, 09:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there any reason not to use Nu Finish Car Polish instead of wax? What the differeance beteen wax and polish? We have used Nu Finish Car Polish on the van and it seems nice. I did a search and only found 2 people like using Nu Finish, anyone else out there?
Old 6/27/05, 11:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've personally never used NuFinish, but my Dad swears by it.

And his cars have always looked very nice

I think basically if you keep the car washed, waxed/polished on a regular basis you'll get good life out of your paint... that is with pretty much any reputable product, which NuFinish is.

I use Meguires NXT and before used the Meguires gold class and I prefer those but in the end I think it's like many things with our cars it all comes down to what you prefer.
Old 6/28/05, 12:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Imatk@June 27, 2005, 11:23 PM
I've personally never used NuFinish, but my Dad swears by it.

And his cars have always looked very nice

I think basically if you keep the car washed, waxed/polished on a regular basis you'll get good life out of your paint... that is with pretty much any reputable product, which NuFinish is.

I use Meguires NXT and before used the Meguires gold class and I prefer those but in the end I think it's like many things with our cars it all comes down to what you prefer.
Me too!
Old 6/28/05, 12:32 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

polish makes it shiny....wax protects the paint (will also make it shiny, but not its true purpose) ideally you should polish then wax to seal in the perfect shine, then you can occassionally wax the car as the wash process will slowly brake down the wax and remove it, its like having a clear coat of paint...to protect the color and make it shiny, wax is to protect it even further so the clear coat doesnt fade and you lose the shine. Its ok to polish but you really should have some wax on there above it to prolong the paint job.
Old 6/28/05, 05:54 AM
V6 Member

Is Meguires NXT a polish or a wax? What brand of wax is highly recommended?
Old 6/28/05, 05:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Doesn't this belong on the car care forum? I'm pretty sure this issue has been discussed there before.
Old 6/28/05, 06:02 AM
Cobra Member

polish will bring back the shine in old or oxidized paint, probably not a great idea to use it on new paint because it is a very minor abrasive. Wax will help seal and protect paint and also keeps new paint shiny without abrasives.
Old 6/28/05, 07:17 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by WIZARD@June 28, 2005, 5:57 AM
Meguires NXT is a wax. Available in paste or liquid. Liquid is generally applied using a machine, while paste is applied by hand. I use the paste.
Old 6/28/05, 07:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Zaino is the best on the plant
Old 6/28/05, 08:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by WIZARD@June 28, 2005, 7:57 AM
It is a wax without any wax in it.
It uses a manufactured synthetic polymer that fill's small scratches and protects like wax, but even better so they say.
Old 6/28/05, 08:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Turtle Wax PREMIUM.....killls everyone...

...and it's legend lime in color!!

Jay
Old 6/28/05, 09:14 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Lime05owner@June 28, 2005, 8:26 AM
Turtle Wax PREMIUM.....killls everyone...

...and it's legend lime in color!!

Jay
Actually, I found Meguires NXT did a better job on my car. Sorry.
Old 6/28/05, 09:19 AM
V6 Member

Anyone use that permacoat wax from the Ford dealerships? It's supposed to be guaranteed for 7 years.

I have always used Meguiars & a clay bar, just curious if anyone has used it.
Old 6/28/05, 11:03 AM

I belive the permacoat wax they use has teflon in it, if thats the same wax I am thinking of, its awesome, not to be used all the time and I dont know if I would go 7 years without rewaxing, but it does an awesome job in protecting the paint, I have some and you can litterally do the entire car with an amount the size of a dime, if you let it sit on your car in a warm garage over night it is the best. It wipe right off as if it were just dust sitting on your car, also do the windows it will keep them from fogging up easily.

As for wax or polish questions, I've used everything out, Zaino is good but seriously the Meguires Show Car Glaze #7 (especially if you have light swirl marks, and not to be used all the time/ once the first time lightly will be sufficient) and then several coats of their Hi-Tech Yellow Wax #26, was the best, but I've started using the NXT and suprisingly it is even better to finish with in replacement of the #26, the only thing is that because of the synthetic polymer in it it leaves haze effects in the deep reflection it creates, especially on darker cars, these come out it just takes more time and elbow greese than the number #26 which just wipes off, but the result is awesome. On my black GT it looks like I have an expensive paint job with many coats of black topped with several layers of clear coat, because it not only has a great reflection but it looks very deep like you could jump right in.

NOTE: The above porducts are great for these cars because they are new, for older cars or cars that have various degrees of damaged paint there are othe products out there that work better for different senarios, every case is different.
Old 6/28/05, 11:29 AM
V6 Member

I use it and it works/looks great. But its a polish, so you don't get the protection from wax. I recommend you use it.
Old 6/28/05, 11:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have used Nu Car Polish since I was 17 and I have used nothing else, except for the 128 dollar ultimate kit of Zaino this year. I still think that Nu Car polish is great compared to the Zaino kit.

Matt
Old 6/28/05, 11:55 AM
Bullitt Member

wax on}}}}}}-------{{{{{{wax off :bang:
Old 6/28/05, 12:29 PM
Cobra Member

NuFinish doesnt compare to Zaino or Meguiars if you use both correctly. Sorry to be blunt. Try other products if you are using NuFinish.
Old 6/28/05, 01:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks everyone foe your input. Sounds like we need a test car with Zaino, Meguiars, Turtle, and Nu Finsh on each quarter panel. I wonder if anyone could tell the difference, I think they all will make a nice shine, the real question ten to 20 years from now what will look better?
Old 6/28/05, 02:08 PM

you can tell the difference. I did the multi fender thing on my girlfriends durango (black) but with the Hi Tech Yellow and the NXT and NXT was noticably better.
Both were done as a claybar, cleaner wax, show car glaze and then one of each. Her car needed it. NXT was better so thats how we finished the car.

Quick Reply: Why wax the Mustang?