Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Well, I guess I'm one of YOU now...

Search this Thread

Old 7/27/05, 07:31 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW, I'll take what rain does to my GT in WI over what the AZ sun and heat would do to it over time.

Now - road salt is a whole 'nother discussion.....

Brad
Old 7/27/05, 07:53 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't mind the rain. Just the dust and pollen it knocks out of the air and then dries on your car. *sigh*
Old 7/27/05, 08:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

I love the rain. With a nice coat of Zaino, these cars look fantastic when they're wet. I do have to wash it all the time though.
Old 7/27/05, 08:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
1st time ever I cant wait for winter! Should be getting car in November!
Wont drive it in the snow the 1st year tho.
Old 7/27/05, 09:24 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry it was a typo. It should have been ROFL. Rolling on the floor laughing.
Old 7/27/05, 10:06 AM
GT Member

How much Zaino did you use? Steve is working on our second shipment. The car looks great. And your rite about the water running off, but there he was with his nice new white towels wiping her down. He ended up just doing that and it took about two hours. He said he use Zaino to spoof her up. Gotta love him
Old 7/27/05, 12:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Definitely not very much Zaino. I got 4 coats out of less than 2 ounces of polish.

Now I do understand not wanting to get a car dirty, but when the rain actually influences whether you go to an event or leave the house, I think there may be a problem. I'm up in the Detroit Metro area - my biggest issue isn't the rain, snow, or the salt - it's the huge potholes we have everywhere. We've got the car companies to thank for our excellent roads - they want our cars to fall apart as quickly as possible, so we have to keep buying new ones. Explains why we have no public transportation either.

I'm sure there's a 12-step program out there somewhere...
Old 7/28/05, 05:34 AM
GT Member

I hear ya. I don't dispute that he shouldn't let weather keep him from driving the 05, but this is what he does. I would love the chance to drive the 05 but in no way shape or form will that ever happen.

You should have seen him last saturday. We went for a ride in the country, to pick up rabbit food for my rabbit. She is a New Holland Minnie Lop Ear. Has to have special food. Anyway we stopped to get fresh peaches on the way home. We parked on an incline, so the door wouldn't stay open for me to get out. He had parked away from the fruit stand so other cars would be far away. While we were looking at peaches he took off toward the door. He stood there looking out the window. I walked over to see what he was watching. A car parked next to the 05 and there were people walking around the car looking at and inside the car. They stood there talked a bit then came into the stand. When I got the peaches I wanted we walked over to the car. He walked around to my side,( I thought he was holding the door for me, how sweet) to hold the door. I slipped into the seat he shut the door and then got in himself. As we pulled away I thanked him for holding the door. He said, I wasn't holding the door. I was checking to be sure they didn't ding our door with their door. OMG, ran through my head. It's bad!!!
Old 7/28/05, 08:36 AM
Cobra Member

I can completely understand about mustang owners being protective of their new rides. I tend to get fanatical about other cars parking next to mine as such I tend to park far away from others. While it is great that other non mustangs owners have an interest in our rides when they approach the mustangs they should do so with care. Nothing like trying to get a scratch out of clearcoat paint caused by a belt buckle, and it's not like the person looking at the mustang intended to do this it was more a lack of being aware when looking at the mustang. I find people tend to look at the mustangs much like the commercial for a muddy jeep where people leave there hands prints all over the windows and come away with dirt caked on their clothes. Since I have had the new mustang (three months) I have had one jerk test out the 3M protection on the front hood leaving a 4 inch scratch into the 3M protection if this happens to you PlastX from Meguiar's will get it out. Then there is the dolt that left the mustang with two key marks over the right rear well (these I had polished out by an autobody shop). When I am at a store, I to walk to the window to see if anyone is near the mustang. With tax I paid $28,800 for the new mustang. I like to keep it looking like the mustang I took off the dealer's lot on April 22. My motto is "I don't touch anyone's stuff and may god help the little terd that touches mine as I shall not be merciful! I can very much understand a mustang owner or any new car owner being protective of their vehicles.
Old 7/28/05, 08:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Rain? No problem. Snow? No problem. Hail? :angry: Big problem! Got caught in a hail storm a couple months ago. Fortunately, it was only nickle size - OUCH! However, I ended up with 2 dings on my hood (sure glad they used Aluminum to save weight :bang: :bang: ). The steel held up well, no dings. The hood dings stand out like a sore thumb (to me atleast). My wife and friends don't see them. I DO - and it prisses me off! The dings really arn't that bad, I just wish they were not there - cause I know they are! Going to wait til hail season is over and have them taken out - I hear it is about $50 - $100. OK, my rant is over.
Old 7/28/05, 11:51 AM
GT Member

it's just a little rain people!!! If you hate getting your car wet I'd love to see how you wash it sometime?????? It's a car.......use it..........it's not some rare exotic car either....come on really. This post just makes me laugh. I drove my '01 GT year round and will also drive this one year round in snowy Minnesota....If I was gonna spend $30,000 on something I was afraid to use....it's not worth it
Old 7/28/05, 11:56 AM
GT Member

No problem, go ahead and vent. I understand, believe me. A few years ago I bought a brand new Neon. On the way home it hailed and I had dings all over the place. I wasn't alone, there were alot of us needing to get dings fixed. It bothered me for a while, we never had them fixed. Now if it was the 05 that would be another story. Of course we would get it fixed. But then again, he won't take it out if there is any chance of rain, so hail will never happen. Go figure! Oh and the Neon, I know you are laughing it up over there. It was the first car I bought for myself.
Old 7/28/05, 12:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by paint-boy@July 28, 2005, 11:54 AM
it's just a little rain people!!! If you hate getting your car wet I'd love to see how you wash it sometime?????? It's a car.......use it..........it's not some rare exotic car either....come on really. This post just makes me laugh. I drove my '01 GT year round and will also drive this one year round in snowy Minnesota....If I was gonna spend $30,000 on something I was afraid to use....it's not worth it
Glad I could bring you some enjoyment. Since I've worked hard all my life and saved my pennies and was finally able to purchase this, my first new car, outright, pardon me if I am a little depressed that it got rained on. I live in Arizona, where it doesn't rain often, as you can tell. Washing a car off of a soft water tap through an RO filter is a different situation to me than driving in dirty rain containing road oil splashing up on the underside of my car.

Am I afraid to use it? No. Did I say I was? No. Just upset that I got caught in the rain and got my car all dirty. Doesn't meet your approval? ____________ (Fill in the blank)

Sean
Old 7/28/05, 12:36 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by paint-boy@July 28, 2005, 1:54 PM

And... Like I said... pretty much ALL 05's have seen either rain or snow before it got to you.. sooooo deal with it :P
Old 7/28/05, 12:59 PM
GT Member

Sean,

I agree with you with a full heart. I don't care how others feel. It is your car and My car and all the others of us who feel your pain. Rain, what can rain do to a car. Just think about all the cars you see in junk yards. Rust bucket, is what is left if them. I have a 65 Mustang Vert, gaurage kept. No rust or very little rust. If it were in the weather where would it be. Thats right the JUNK YARD! So, keep our cars out of the rain and weather, maybe they will live to see their 45th Birthday.
Old 7/28/05, 01:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
[quote=backafter20,July 26, 2005, 9:19 PM]
:scratch: uh...Am I missing something? Who's keeping this list of wet cars? It's a car. You drive it, it rains, the car gets dirty, and you clean it. Ford doesn't make them out of tissue paper. They're steel. It requires extremely high temperatures to melt it. I'd love to have a museum piece vehicle under lights in my living room. Maybe on a turntable with scantily clad models around it pointing out key features? But that wouldn't be a car, would it? I bought mine to drive, and it gets quite dirty. Someday it'll wear out, and I'll buy a new one. It's cool. Also, rain grows food, and I enjoy eating.
I'm totally with you!! Cars are made to be driven! :drive:
Old 7/28/05, 01:09 PM
GT Member

Rain I can handle,,,,little "rocket propelled rocks" from cars in front of me I fear I know, I know,,,,get in front of them....but as I always try to be "the lead car",,,,tends to make me drive faster and faster :drive:
Old 7/28/05, 01:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by backafter20@July 26, 2005, 9:19 PM
:scratch: uh...Am I missing something? Who's keeping this list of wet cars? It's a car. You drive it, it rains, the car gets dirty, and you clean it. Ford doesn't make them out of tissue paper. They're steel. It requires extremely high temperatures to melt it. I'd love to have a museum piece vehicle under lights in my living room. Maybe on a turntable with scantily clad models around it pointing out key features? But that wouldn't be a car, would it? I bought mine to drive, and it gets quite dirty. Someday it'll wear out, and I'll buy a new one. It's cool. Also, rain grows food, and I enjoy eating.

Ok, hail would freak me out, too. :shock:
Sorry Sean, I just realized where you were from. I guess you don't see much rain out there, do you? My In-Laws live in Gilbert and my daughter goes to ASU. Nice place. OMG it gets hot, though!
You said they're made of steel. I'll be honest. Not much in cars these days are steel. Maybe go back 40 years. But I agree with you. cars are built to be driven. My uncles neighbor has an old Stingray and he hasn't gotten out of his garage for 8 years. He's afarid to drive it. I find that to be a waste of a car. You can't even show it off.
Old 7/28/05, 03:05 PM
GT Member

Am I afraid to use it? No. Did I say I was? No. Just upset that I got caught in the rain and got my car all dirty. Doesn't meet your approval? ____________ (Fill in the blank)

Sean
[/quote]

I'm not too good with guessing games.....could you just fill it in for me!
Old 7/28/05, 03:10 PM
GT Member

I give up!!!! :bang: YOU WIN. Make you all happy.

See ya Sean. Nice to know we are not alone. Have a GREAT DRY DAY!!!!!

Quick Reply: Well, I guess I'm one of YOU now...