Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Waxing after new paint and decal

Search this Thread

Old 8/26/05 | 10:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

I recently had my hood, rear spoiler and area between the taillights painted black and clearcoated. That was about a week ago. I had Boss c-stripes applied on the car sides yesterday. I have two questions regarding short term and long term care:

Short Term - There is a cruise-in I attend once or twice a month that's meeting tomorrow night. Given the above, are there any issues with washing the car? I'm mostly worried about vinyl stripe application. I can make do with a squirt bottle of water and clean towels to wipe off the most noticable grime, but if I can wash the care safely (gently!) I'd like to do it before the show. I've seen folks bring various products for these quick hand washes, but have never asked what was being used. If you have suggestions I'm all ears.

Long Term - The body shop that did the work says my car shouldn't have wax applied, but I should use a "glaze". I've never used glaze so I don't know the pros and cons. The auto detail shop across the street said wax or glaze would work equally well. Also, I assume I can wax over the shiny black vinyl decals and have read as much in these forums, but how long should I wait before doing so since the decals were applied just yesterday?

Thanks--these forums have been my primary source of information on all things Mustang since I bought the first one last year (we now have 3!!).

John
Old 8/26/05 | 04:18 PM
I Have Admin Envy

You do not want to use any paint product that seals the paint on a freshly sprayed surface. Even though the paint has hardened, there is still a bit of residual solvent evaporating. If you wax the car too soon it could haze on you and ruin the paint, because the vapours can't get out. Bottom line you can use a polish but not a wax.

As for washing the car, you should be okay in my opinion.
Old 8/27/05 | 07:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

The basic rule of thumb is no wax for at least 90 days I believe
Old 8/27/05 | 08:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by ex-Galaxie500@August 27, 2005, 9:37 PM
The basic rule of thumb is no wax for at least 90 days I believe
Ouch. That takes me into November. I'll have to find a detail shop with a heated work area.

John
Old 8/28/05 | 01:34 PM
I Have No Life

2 weeks is the new rule. I was also told after having my body kit painted not to wax them for 2 weeks. I can use a glaze because it does not seal the paint.