Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Wax Residoodoo

Search this Thread

Old 7/17/06, 02:12 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wax Residoodoo

Anyone have any tricks for removing the wax residue from the plastic moulding around the door on the roofline? I tried to be carefull when I waxed it, but evidently, you have to mask it all off ang get ready for paint before you wax.
Old 7/17/06, 02:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Use a pink eraser.

In the future, use armor-all on the molding before wax to prevent it from sticking!
Old 7/17/06, 02:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

That is funny, I had the same thought about masking to wax. I actually called Meguires Hot Line and they said to try some of their #39. It is a trim cleaner and protectant. I bought some and it definitely keeps the "white" away longer but has not gotten rid of it.
Old 7/17/06, 02:26 PM

use wax and grease remover. you can get it at a local auto paint supply store or and auto parts store
Old 7/17/06, 02:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
You can use a soft toothbrush to remove the wax residue.

Or, you can switch to Zaino and be residue free!
Old 7/17/06, 03:55 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by rocket88
Use a pink eraser.

In the future, use armor-all on the molding before wax to prevent it from sticking!
Thanks... Will the eraser damage or dull the finish on the plastic?

Or perhaps I'll try a toothbrush like Bill suggested. What else am I using with the toothbrush, Bill? Just water? soap? toothepaste?

I had thought about Zaino inthe past, but didn't know what all there was too it. I have used a teflon/carnauba wax called Diamond Luster before, and continued that with this Mustang. I was sold on that when I used it to wipe spray paint, and latex paint that some head kid sprayed and poured all over my '98 GT. It took a little bit of elbow grease, but essentially wiped right off. I was iimpressed.
Old 7/17/06, 05:40 PM
Bullitt Member

You can also try a product called "Back To Black." That should do the trick.
Old 7/17/06, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by clintoris
Or perhaps I'll try a toothbrush like Bill suggested. What else am I using with the toothbrush, Bill? Just water? soap? toothepaste?

I had thought about Zaino inthe past, but didn't know what all there was too it.
I've used the toothbrush (dry) with success in the past getting the wax residue off in the small crevice areas.

Good thing about Zaino (not a pitch... possibly with other polishes too) is that it's a polish, not a wax. Thus, it doesn't leave a white residue after it dries. Something to consider.
Old 7/17/06, 05:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by clintoris
Thanks... Will the eraser damage or dull the finish on the plastic?

I had thought about Zaino inthe past, but didn't know what all there was too it. I have used a teflon/carnauba wax called Diamond Luster before, and continued that with this Mustang. I was sold on that when I used it to wipe spray paint, and latex paint that some head kid sprayed and poured all over my '98 GT. It took a little bit of elbow grease, but essentially wiped right off. I was iimpressed.
The eraser will dull the trim a little bit, but armor all or probably any tire dressing on top of the trim and you can't tell. I use the armor-all wipes because you can fold them up small and keep it off of your paint.
Old 7/17/06, 05:56 PM
Queen Of Nascar

Originally Posted by stangster
You can also try a product called "Back To Black." That should do the trick.

+1 I swear by that stuff
Old 7/17/06, 06:14 PM
Cobra Member

The eraser will dull the trim a little bit, but armor all or probably any tire dressing on top of the trim and you can't tell. I use the armor-all wipes because you can fold them up small and keep it off of your paint.
That's what I was most concerned about. (obviously, since I was so careful with the wax to begin with.) I'd prefer to stay away from a dressing like Armor-all... 'cause I don't want to have to depend on it to keep it looking new/nice.

Originally Posted by Donna
+1 I swear by that stuff
Isn't Back to Black a dressing? I've seen something called Black Magic, which was something to "restore and rejuvinate" rubber and plastic. I had used that on the rubber trim round the quarter windows on my '88GT. Anyone who has/had a Fox Mustang will know what I'm talkin' about... but it just made a mess. It wasn't a cleaner, it was a dressing. Didn't care for it, 'cause it just covered up the problem. I'm concerned it's going to be something that has a chemical in it that will dull the finish itself, in which case I'll have to keep using a dressing to keep it looking nice.

I think for now, I'll try a toothbrush.
Old 7/17/06, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

back to black will just cover it, eventually you'll see it again. I read somewhere that peanut butter would do the trick but I wasn't about to rub it all over my car.
Old 7/17/06, 07:50 PM
Cobra Member

back to black will just cover it, eventually you'll see it again. I read somewhere that peanut butter would do the trick but I wasn't about to rub it all over my car.
I heard peanut butter will do the trick for a lot of things... but I'm not about to try those either.
Old 7/17/06, 08:05 PM

An alternative to Armour All, Back to Back, Black Magic, etc. is Z16.

Not sure about the other dressings, but Z16 has a protection factor of UV40. Without the UV protection, the black plastic trim will fade in time.

Man, I hate to sound like a Zaino pusher, but if a product works, it works.
Old 7/17/06, 08:21 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a catalog from California Mustang and there is a product for black plastic that is a DYE. That means PERMANENT. If you want the name of it let me know and I will get off my lazy *** and get it for you!!
Back to black-TEMPORARY,I have it now.
Old 7/17/06, 08:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
An alternative to Armour All, Back to Back, Black Magic, etc. is Z16.

Not sure about the other dressings, but Z16 has a protection factor of UV40. Without the UV protection, the black plastic trim will fade in time.

Man, I hate to sound like a Zaino pusher, but if a product works, it works.
I hear ya. From what I've read about their products .. they kinda sell themselves.... so no sweat, pusher.

I was just lookin' for a quick solution. I had considered doin' the Zaino deal when I first drove her home, but I had the Diamond Luster, so I used that. If I use Zaino on the next run, and they ask me where to send the referral check, I'll certainly point them your way.
Old 7/17/06, 08:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Off topic, but I really like Menzerna polishes once a year, with NXT Liquid Tech Wax every 2 weeks or so and a top coat of Turtle Wax Ice.

I use an RA, but have yet to run into any residue problems of any kind and the car looks great.
Old 7/18/06, 08:48 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been using the new Turtle Wax Ice product with pretty good results. This is a clear wax/polish so no residue. I do still try to stay away from the trim cause long term I don't know what the reaction of this will be to the trim if any.
Old 7/19/06, 12:13 AM
Cobra Member

to get wax off plastic take a Q-tip or 4 and use WD40 spay little bit right on the Q-tips and make sure you dont touch the paint ..itl strip wax right off lol

the wax comes off the plastic instantly the Q-tips will smell like wax

trust me works perfect but do NOT touch the paint with it..cover it or something
Old 7/19/06, 08:32 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
WD-40 sounds like a good idea. It's great for removing sticky residue left behind by tape or stickers.
I'll give that one a try. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Wax Residoodoo