Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Wax removal on black plastic parts

Search this Thread

Old 6/10/13, 12:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I've used back 2 black for years but I've found other products that don't fade nearly as quickly. Try the turtle wax ice. I was surprised how nicely it works.

Wax removal on black plastic parts-image-784199202.jpg

Last edited by UOP Shadow; 6/10/13 at 08:22 PM.
Old 6/10/13, 12:13 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V

What!?!! You convinced me to try back to black. Now I have to buy turtle wax trim restorer? You have made an enemy today. A very poor powerless enemy but an enemy none the less. Yes, you are off my Christmas card list.
Haha. They are both great... heck, I was religious about B2B but it doesn't last as long as the trim restorer. The trim restorer looks the same after 3 months. The skirts are the most dreaded area to clean because I have to kneel or lie down to get all of them so the less time I spend there the better. Either one works but the trim restorer out performs in durability. It smells strange also..you will feel good after inhaling it during application and Hopefully forget my ill advice. Lol
Old 7/7/13, 07:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to revive an old-ish thread, but I've got some wax on the black plastic I'm looking to remove. It's kinda baked on (2-3 weeks), and it's being stubborn. A buddy who owns a paint shop used some professional wax and grease remover that got some of it off, but there are still areas that aren't 100% clean. I'm afraid of the Magic Eraser possibly damaging the paint - will the Isopropyl/Rubbing alcohol work on older wax?

Thanks!
Old 7/7/13, 09:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ColSaulTigh
Sorry to revive an old-ish thread, but I've got some wax on the black plastic I'm looking to remove. It's kinda baked on (2-3 weeks), and it's being stubborn. A buddy who owns a paint shop used some professional wax and grease remover that got some of it off, but there are still areas that aren't 100% clean. I'm afraid of the Magic Eraser possibly damaging the paint - will the Isopropyl/Rubbing alcohol work on older wax?

Thanks!
It should... if the plastic is grained, dip an old toothbrush in the IPA botlle, gently rub the eplastic and wipe, checking your progress.
Old 7/8/13, 06:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DaGonz
It should... if the plastic is grained, dip an old toothbrush in the IPA botlle, gently rub the eplastic and wipe, checking your progress.
Thanks! Will try this tonight after work and report back.
Old 7/8/13, 08:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaGonz
I should have proofread that before posting... D'oh!
Old 7/9/13, 04:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!
I had some polish that was deeply set in the rough black plastic in the side skirts (there since last summer bothering me all this time) and I tried the back to black. No change. Tried the magic Eraser. Still no change. Although I was skeptical, I figured I would go ahead and try peanut butter. Peanut butter not only worked, but it worked so easily that I am putting together a kit for auto detailing which will include a latex glove, a rag, and a jar of creamy Jif and I will sell it to you for the low, low price of $89 plus S&H. You will not be disappointed in the results!
Old 7/9/13, 04:24 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by max5ive0
I had some polish that was deeply set in the rough black plastic in the side skirts (there since last summer bothering me all this time) and I tried the back to black. No change. Tried the magic Eraser. Still no change. Although I was skeptical, I figured I would go ahead and try peanut butter. Peanut butter not only worked, but it worked so easily that I am putting together a kit for auto detailing which will include a latex glove, a rag, and a jar of creamy Jif and I will sell it to you for the low, low price of $89 plus S&H. You will not be disappointed in the results!
Throw in a loaf of bread and a jar of jelly and people won't even have to go in to fix lunch, just keep on working.
Old 7/9/13, 04:26 PM
Bullitt Member

LOL...I've got plenty of peanut butter here. I wonder if it's the oil and if peanut oil would work just as well, or if it's something else in the peanut butter that works.

If you don't mind my asking - how long did you let the peanut butter sit to loosen the wax up? Did you have to "work it" in, or just wipe on/wipe off? Did you get any on your paint, and did it effect the paint at all?

Lastly, did your car smell like Peanut Butter for a week afterwards?
Old 7/9/13, 05:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

On the first side skirt I applied it to all my blemishes, so it sat for a couple minutes, then I worked it in really well, and I had a lot to clean up so that took a few minutes as well. It was so beautiful how it worked! So since I had a few other spots on the rear bumper and other side skirt, I just took my peanut-buttery rag and rubbed the other spots and it seemed to be just as effective (although the spots weren't as bad to begin with). I was very careful to not get peanut butter on any paint though, since I didn't want to strip that wax as well. Unfortunately there was no peanut butter odor left in the interior, but I might have to find a peanut butter air freshener, anyone seen one???
Old 7/9/13, 06:20 PM
Bullitt Member

On the first side skirt I applied it to all my blemishes, so it sat for a couple minutes, then I worked it in really well, and I had a lot to clean up so that took a few minutes as well. It was so beautiful how it worked! So since I had a few other spots on the rear bumper and other side skirt, I just took my peanut-buttery rag and rubbed the other spots and it seemed to be just as effective (although the spots weren't as bad to begin with). I was very careful to not get peanut butter on any paint though, since I didn't want to strip that wax as well. Unfortunately there was no peanut butter odor left in the interior, but I might have to find a peanut butter air freshener, anyone seen one???
http://www.etsy.com/listing/91491256...-bliss-scented
Old 7/9/13, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Haha thanks! I was hoping for a tree, but maybe this will work
Old 7/10/13, 07:12 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Just use a cleaner degreaser on an old microfiber towel, and you're done. Something like amazing roll off or optimum power clean.

Done. Easy Peasy
Old 7/14/13, 06:54 PM

I have used the mr clean magic eraser on the black trim works great. It is also great to debug a bumper fast and easy
Old 7/15/13, 10:19 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Any light oil will work. WD40 works awesomely! Just spray it on your rag, not the plastic.
Old 7/16/13, 08:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mikensc66
I have used the mr clean magic eraser on the black trim works great. It is also great to debug a bumper fast and easy
My fear with the Magic Eraser is that the chemistry "magic" they use will damage the paint next to the plastic.
Old 7/16/13, 09:43 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

My fear with the Magic Eraser is that the chemistry "magic" they use will damage the paint next to the plastic.
Exactly... That's why just do what I recommended. Cleaner degreaser on rag, wipe, done... Less than 1 minute.
Old 7/17/13, 06:50 AM
Bullitt Member

I've been quiet this past week - been real busy. Will any cleaner/degreaser work (like Simple Green), or do I need something special?
Old 7/18/13, 07:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by UOP Shadow
I've used back 2 black for years but I've found other products that don't fade nearly as quickly. Try the turtle wax ice. I was surprised how nicely it works.

Attachment 140067
I agree on both counts.

Back 2 Black works very well in masking unsightly wax residue that becomes imbedded on rough plastic surfaces. As you say, it does fade a little quicker than I expected, so I now use Turtle Wax Ice...

A couple of weeks after I received my '14 GT, she got her first coat of wax. I used Ice liquid, as I did on my '07. Not only did I wax the paint, I waxed all the plastic, light lenses, mirrors, wheels, quarter windows, vanity plate and when vinyl striping is installed later this month, I'll wax it too. I'm sold on Turtle Wax Ice.
Old 7/23/13, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by B Square
Magic Erasure. It's so simple and works great!

this.

works great on plastic

Quick Reply: Wax removal on black plastic parts