Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Wax removal on black plastic parts

Search this Thread

Old 12/15/12 | 12:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Wax removal on black plastic parts

I have never gotten wax on plastic parts of my car (like the side skirts and the lower valances) Obviously, this statement is no longer true. Does anyone know a product to remove the white marks from my black trim? I covered it up with an armor-all type product. Any ideas would be helpful.
Old 12/15/12 | 12:44 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Is this flat black plastic? Use some dawn dish soap and work it out gently. If that doesn't work, try peanut butter. No joking. Do not try this on flat black painted parts. That's a whole different story.

Also do not put any type of polish on the plastic either. You cant "shine" out chalkyness. Armor all is just a band aid fix.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 12/15/12 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12/15/12 | 12:45 PM

Also after you remove the wax... "Back to black!" You will love it!

Last edited by Getportfolio; 12/15/12 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12/15/12 | 01:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Thanks! I'll try it.
Old 12/15/12 | 03:15 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by Mr. V
I have never gotten wax on plastic parts of my car (like the side skirts and the lower valances) Obviously, this statement is no longer true. Does anyone know a product to remove the white marks from my black trim? I covered it up with an armor-all type product. Any ideas would be helpful.
I use one of those large pink pencil erasers. Takes it right off. And the Back to Black is good stuff.

Edit:

Old 12/19/12 | 11:32 AM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Disposables alcohol wipes, such as just in the medical industry are great, open and you have a small saturated pad that you just toss when finished. Now, on the other hand pouring alcohol on a rag is good to, but be careful to not let it spread out on the rag and wipe off wax from other body areas while cleaning the plastic.
Talking about normal rubbing alcohol here not anything stronger than 30 to 40 percent.

TDS
Old 12/19/12 | 11:37 PM

Magic Erasure. It's so simple and works great!
Old 12/22/12 | 04:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

For the next time you wax your car..

Get some 3M blue painters tape and tape off all of the areas you do not want to get wax on.. such as side skirts, window moldings, etc.

Taking 10 to 15 minutes to tape off these areas saves hours of trying to get the wax off those surfaces.
Old 12/22/12 | 05:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by DaGonz
For the next time you wax your car..

Get some 3M blue painters tape and tape off all of the areas you do not want to get wax on.. such as side skirts, window moldings, etc.

Taking 10 to 15 minutes to tape off these areas saves hours of trying to get the wax off those surfaces.
Lol, this is what I actually do. It's why I have never had to remove wax from plastics in my 22 years of car ownership. I learned that leaving your 6 year old helping you with your car while the wax is out is not a good idea.
Old 1/8/13 | 10:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

I agree, the pink earser has always been the go to. Now I will also try that Magic Eraser, it works on about everything else.

Last edited by ARBO; 1/8/13 at 10:03 AM.
Old 2/3/13 | 12:37 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I second the blue painter tape. Or thirds. ha ha
Old 2/3/13 | 12:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Griots garage. they have dealers all around and are also online. they make a great product that will take that stuff right off. In the future there is a detailing tape you can apply to these parts while you wax your car.

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=C...ontent%3DBrand
Old 5/12/13 | 11:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Also after you remove the wax... "Back to black!" You will love it!
I'm a little slow. I bought this a few months ago and finally dragged myself outside and used it. You were so right. This stuff rocks! Thank you for telling me about it.
Old 6/10/13 | 10:47 AM

Back to Black runs after it rains and looks like pfffft.
Old 6/10/13 | 11:19 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by fmdog44
why should we have our cars out in the rain though??
Old 6/10/13 | 11:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by fmdog44

You're not supposed to put a thick layer of the stuff on. It's not Armor All.

Back to Black is primarily a cleaner. You're supposed to rub it in thoroughly, don't just wipe it on. Then allow it to dry for a few minutes and buff the excess off. If you do that then it does not run or streak in rain.

I routinely use Mothers Back to Black, not only on the lower trim but also on the mirrors and window trim as well. I've never had a problem with it streaking or running, and trust me, if it ran down my Kona Blue paint I would NOT be using the product.
Old 6/10/13 | 11:35 AM
Cobra Member

If you use Turtle Wax Ice liquid polish, it will polish / shine all of your black plastic to better than showroom new.

It's not a typical paste / wax. It's almost like smearing WD40 on your car. But it makes the car look GREAT!
Old 6/10/13 | 11:40 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Moustang

You're not supposed to put a thick layer of the stuff on. It's not Armor All.

Back to Black is primarily a cleaner. You're supposed to rub it in thoroughly, don't just wipe it on. Then allow it to dry for a few minutes and buff the excess off. If you do that then it does not run or streak in rain.

I routinely use Mothers Back to Black, not only on the lower trim but also on the mirrors and window trim as well. I've never had a problem with it streaking or running, and trust me, if it ran down my Kona Blue paint I would NOT be using the product.
This. No problems with running. It's great stuff. Not really shiny either. It just looks new. I like it.
Old 6/10/13 | 11:47 AM

Turtle wax trim restorer works circles around the B2B.

Armour all super protectant is by far the best shine for chalky skirts for detailers on a budget. It does run in rain. It's super cheap though...so just do it again.
Old 6/10/13 | 12:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Turtle wax trim restorer works circles around the B2B.

Armour all super protectant is by far the best shine for chalky skirts for detailers on a budget. It does run in rain. It's super cheap though...so just do it again.
What!?!! You convinced me to try back to black. Now I have to buy turtle wax trim restorer? You have made an enemy today. A very poor powerless enemy but an enemy none the less. Yes, you are off my Christmas card list.

Quick Reply: Wax removal on black plastic parts