Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Water Spots Question?

Search this Thread

Old 10/19/07, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an '07 GT which I've had for 4 months...Washed it all the time for shows and cruise ins.It started to look lighter and getting blotchy on the hood(it's vista blue) and the windows where spotted with no chance of it coming off.I used window cleaner and polishes and waxes but still no dice.My white stripes started to turn rusty red ,but on the hood only..Well I saw somewhere to try " BON AMI" on the stripes but couldn't find any so I tried "BAR KEEPERS FRIEND".Upon trying that, the stripes came clean but I noticed dark streaks around the stripes after I hosed the car off.So now I think it was caused by my water(well water)..So off to WALLY WORLD to find some sort of rust remover..I found this product called "RUSTAID"..So now I've tapped into out CULLIGAN water system on the house and wash in filtered water.I wet down the car and applied this product full strength and used it as a wash on the whole car,rinsing well after washing each part of the car..It took 1 1/2 hrs. to do the whole car but WOW what a difference..It looks like a new car again,windows ,paint ,stripes..Robert
Old 10/22/07, 06:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by roushed
I have an '07 GT which I've had for 4 months...Washed it all the time for shows and cruise ins.It started to look lighter and getting blotchy on the hood(it's vista blue) and the windows where spotted with no chance of it coming off.I used window cleaner and polishes and waxes but still no dice.My white stripes started to turn rusty red ,but on the hood only..Well I saw somewhere to try " BON AMI" on the stripes but couldn't find any so I tried "BAR KEEPERS FRIEND".Upon trying that, the stripes came clean but I noticed dark streaks around the stripes after I hosed the car off.So now I think it was caused by my water(well water)..So off to WALLY WORLD to find some sort of rust remover..I found this product called "RUSTAID"..So now I've tapped into out CULLIGAN water system on the house and wash in filtered water.I wet down the car and applied this product full strength and used it as a wash on the whole car,rinsing well after washing each part of the car..It took 1 1/2 hrs. to do the whole car but WOW what a difference..It looks like a new car again,windows ,paint ,stripes..Robert
The quality of water you use is pretty important. My experience is with hard water, which will leave spotting. I've never heard of Rustaid, but it sounds like it did the trick.

I personally have used the Turtle Wax Liquid Claybar and was impressed with it's ability to remove wax, water spots etc. In the spring, I think I'm going to invest in the Mr. Clean auto wash system.
Old 10/22/07, 07:19 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my outside water is hooked up to my watersoftener, no problems with water spots.
Old 10/30/07, 02:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WaltM
The quality of water you use is pretty important. My experience is with hard water, which will leave spotting. I've never heard of Rustaid, but it sounds like it did the trick.

I personally have used the Turtle Wax Liquid Claybar and was impressed with it's ability to remove wax, water spots etc. In the spring, I think I'm going to invest in the Mr. Clean auto wash system.
Liquid clay if it sits for just a few days and no sun exposure. Zaino's Zaio is nice for this too.

Compound, fine white stuff, if the clay does not work.

If you get the spots and within hours clean them, shoot them good with a Meguiar's wash and immediate detail spray & dry will do it.

Putting the paint under white diffuse fluorscent lighting will reveal the imperfections in the paint. Flood lights, regular lights and daylight will not. A trick a champion show winner told me and it is amazing what you cannot see in the daylight. Use a handheld and a mirror to reflect it; - and it'll show stuff you never thought was there.
Old 11/12/07, 08:52 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Stangette
Liquid clay if it sits for just a few days and no sun exposure. Zaino's Zaio is nice for this too.

Compound, fine white stuff, if the clay does not work.

If you get the spots and within hours clean them, shoot them good with a Meguiar's wash and immediate detail spray & dry will do it.

Putting the paint under white diffuse fluorscent lighting will reveal the imperfections in the paint. Flood lights, regular lights and daylight will not. A trick a champion show winner told me and it is amazing what you cannot see in the daylight. Use a handheld and a mirror to reflect it; - and it'll show stuff you never thought was there.
Excuse my ignorance but where can you buy one of these?
Old 11/18/07, 12:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MilStang
Excuse my ignorance but where can you buy one of these?

Zaino from www.zainostore.com They also sell a new Z5 paint cleaner like the Meguiars M85.

Meguiars can be found at any good auto parts store and also at many Walmarts.

A small spray bottle with a cap full of vinergar and the rest mixed with purified, and distilled water also works. Spray it on a small 1ft x 1 ft section, and [Immmediately] wipe off. Then rinse with a spray bottle of purified water and wipe dry.

Did this with a Black 427R i just recently acquired; - and it had some really bad water spots from the dealership sprinklers. A few were stoubbern and will require a compound. At least it took care of the non-etched ones.