Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

want to repaint after terrible scratches

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/13, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
want to repaint after terrible scratches

Hello guys,
So today after coming back from work, I accidentally scratch my car on the wall while parking.
I don't know what happened, I usually take really good care of it, our parking spot is tiny and this time I did not pay enough attention.
I really feel like s*** after that.

There are a lot of white scratches on the front bumper and some above it.

I don't want to spend $400 at a body shop to repaint it.

My question is: What would be the process for repainting it myself. Is it something possible for someone who never painted a car ?

I've been looking on internet, but I wanted to ask your opinion. It's a black 2013 model.

Thank you so much for your help and hopefully I can repair this soon.
Old 5/30/13, 10:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

it will never look right unless you take it somewhere or have all of the right equipment which would cost more than to just have someone else paint it.
Old 5/30/13, 11:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I've painted panels, a couple of cars, and a couple of bikes. Without a paint booth and proper equipment it is nearly impossible to get it to match. You have a very high likelihood of ruining your car. I'd recommend paying a professional.
Old 5/31/13, 08:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
I don't think you will be any worse off if you did try it yourself. That being said I know autozone has rattle can primer and paint code matched paint as well as sandpaper. just make sure you tape off the car so no over spray will get on the rest of the car
Old 6/3/13, 06:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you sure it is scratched or just paint transfer from the wall? If it is paint transfer, that should be able to be buffed out.
Old 6/4/13, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by DaGonz
Are you sure it is scratched or just paint transfer from the wall? If it is paint transfer, that should be able to be buffed out.
^^^^^This. Unless you can see and feel the depth of the scratches, you may just have white paint transfer from whatever you rubbed against. Try clay first, then polish what's left over. If that doesn't work, get it painted professionally. A botched rattle can job on a new black car will be much more of an eyesore than what you have now.