Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Use fuel additives or not

Search this Thread

Old 7/22/10 | 10:40 AM

Use fuel additives or not

Hello,

I have an 08 GT. Owners manual says to only use 87 octane fuel and no addiitives or cleaners. Thoughts? Just got the car and don't want to do anything to it. My old car(Nissan 350Z) said same thing regarding additives, but I still put injector cleaner in once a month due to my driving habits. I love speed so anything I can do to keep my car running like a top, is what I am after.

Also just put a preloaded SCT tune on the car. I believe it has a tune for 93 octane as the next one on the loader. If I load that, do I then run 93 octane all the time? I'm lost on how that works with a car that is "supposed" to run on 87 octane? Obviously the boys at SCT know what they are doing, so wondering about this.

Thanks!
Old 7/22/10 | 10:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I stay away from fuel additives, personally. I buy Top Tier gasolines (visit toptiergas.com) and generally do not have any problems.

The tune for higher octanes makes alterations to spark and engine timing for the slower-burning fuel. Running a 93 tune with 87 octane fuel may lead to some pre-detonation symptoms. Higher octane fuels actually resist ignition, allowing the tuner to change timing and other setting to maximize power.
Old 7/22/10 | 11:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

no aditives for me either. I do swicth up on the places I get fuel. Different places use different cleaners in their fuels. Top teir gas as stated above
Old 7/23/10 | 05:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Additives are like vitamins. The only thing they do is make you pee pretty colors. Negligable benefits.
Old 8/1/10 | 08:57 PM
V6 Member

No additives.

I used to use Chevron. Then my local chevron started adding ethanol. So I switched to BP. Heard BP was high quality (surprised not to see it in toptiers). But what really got me on BP is that it is the only place in town that is ethanol-free.
Old 8/4/10 | 08:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 825LTRGT
Additives are like vitamins. The only thing they do is make you pee pretty colors. Negligable benefits.

So true. All the additives are already in good quality fuels.

I wish there was someone in our area that didn't sell 10% ethanol, but it is in everyone's pumps around here (SE Virginia).
Old 8/10/10 | 05:51 AM

You DON'T want to run 87 octane gas with a 93 octane tune - you can shorten your engine life considerably. Best to run a lower octane tune (like 91) and use 93 octane gas. I wouldn't use a 93 octane tune unless I was absolutely SURE the gas I was getting was true 93 octane. Some not-so-honest stations will top off their 93 tank with lower octane fuels, diluting the octane at the pump. Better to be safe than sorry.

I run BP 93 (it's actually the old Amoco Ultra, a very good formulation) with no other additives and have never had a problem.
Old 8/13/10 | 06:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

My Mechanic (who is Ford certified and races Fords and restores Mustangs) Recommends Shell Fuel aka Top Tier, and Seafoam every 3K. Also Stick with the Octane your manual recommends. The engine is tunes for that Octane and will not run as well on other grades.

The FED has backed off on the detergent and additive requirements the fuel companies must stick to. Shell voluntarily stays at Top tier, standard set by Ford, GM and Chrysler as best for engine longevity.
Old 8/13/10 | 05:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by shanec
No additives.

I used to use Chevron. Then my local chevron started adding ethanol. So I switched to BP. Heard BP was high quality (surprised not to see it in toptiers). But what really got me on BP is that it is the only place in town that is ethanol-free.

I thought the same thing...but since they no long do retail and leave that to every Tom, Dick and Habul to run the BP stations I have found out that they also put 10% ethanol in their gas but the stickers may not be on the pumps telling us that. Go figure!!
Old 12/21/10 | 02:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Seafoam treatments every 3rd oil change but that's it
Old 12/24/10 | 08:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have used Lucas fuel injector cleaner every 3 months or so. It does seem to make it run smoother. Do I have proof? No, but it certainly can't hurt anything but my wallet a bit.
Old 12/24/10 | 08:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

I use torco 2 stroke oil about 2 ounces per 20 gallons and seems to help mileage on that ethanol garbage
Old 1/1/11 | 10:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Brewman
My Mechanic (who is Ford certified and races Fords and restores Mustangs) Recommends Shell Fuel aka Top Tier, and Seafoam every 3K. Also Stick with the Octane your manual recommends. The engine is tunes for that Octane and will not run as well on other grades.

The FED has backed off on the detergent and additive requirements the fuel companies must stick to. Shell voluntarily stays at Top tier, standard set by Ford, GM and Chrysler as best for engine longevity.
I fill up on nothin but shell! Engine feels like its running smooth and strong all day long, and i do alot of racing on county roads in my area
Old 1/1/11 | 10:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nothing in my Mustang yet, but I use a bottle of Techron once or twice a year in my other cars once they've hit 50k miles or so. Once my Mustang hits 50k miles (if I keep it that long), I'll do the same with it. I'd just use Chevron gas if I could, but no stations around here.
Old 1/1/11 | 11:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Plus 2 on seafoam. I love that stuff