Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Towels...

Search this Thread

Old 10/16/04, 11:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no idea which towels to get to dry my car....I always hear 100% cotton? Is that just like a normal bath towel? Going to get some this weekend....so please help me out here!
Old 10/16/04, 11:45 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big, fluffy cotton ones, like a bath towel...
...or chamois...
...or The Absorber...
...or microfiber...

I've been using the Absorber for a few years. Like a sythetic chamois.
Old 10/16/04, 11:56 PM
Cobra Member

An old cotton t shirt works the best. To be sure you get all the moisture though you might need a few of them.
Old 10/17/04, 07:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Microfiber here.
Old 10/17/04, 03:19 PM

My dad uses lint-free towles to wipe down his roush every night. He gets them from Costco...
Old 10/17/04, 03:24 PM
Bullitt Member

hey blackbird - - I have seen those @ Costco as well. Hmmmm, do they work pretty well for drying I wonder? I already have a California Duster for every morning to wipe down, but to dry off the car....I am stuck on what to use... Hmmm.
Old 10/17/04, 03:34 PM

I do not know if they are good for drying because my dad only uses it to wipe down the dust from the day. He uses regular towels for when he washes and waxes the car. He says they work very well for just dusting it down.
Old 10/20/04, 07:09 PM
Cobra Member

Absorber is quite good to dry the car. I know this isnt a towel, but the California Water Blade is excellent as well.
Old 10/20/04, 08:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I pulled this from zainostore.com

Towel Guidelines
I prefer 100% Cotton Towels Large White Bath Size (only use Cannon or Fieldcrest name brands) for washing, drying and polishing. I don't like sponges natural or synthetic or any wash mits, since they all can scratch.

Another great tip is to use a Toro 210mph Electric leaf blower. Dries your car in about 5 minutes.... without even touching the paint surface....

I prefer 100% Cotton Towels to dry the car. Chamois or the Absorber and especially the Water Blade are flat and could trap a piece of dirt and scratch the paint finish. Towels have nap and are much safer and forgiving. Even if it were to pickup a piece of dirt, the nap would cushion it.

Again Towels must be 100% Made in USA. Name Brand (Cannon or Fieldcrest Towels)

You must use only white. Not colored towels..... colored towels are not to be used because the dye leaves a chemical residue on the paint finish. Always wash your towels first before using. Use Liquid detergent and rinse twice.

When washing your towels. Only use Liquid detergent such as All or Tide, etc. Do not use Bleach, Powdered Detergents or any kind of fabric softner. They will leave a chemical residue on the towels which will transfer to your paint finish. Make sure to run rinse cycle twice to remove all detergent.

You should cut the selvages(borders) off the perimeter of the towels. This selvage contains nylon and polyester stitching that could possibly scratch your paint finish. The towels will fray a little once this is done. But it's better to play it safe.

Drying the towels on high heat will make them hold a static charge. I use the regular heat setting and remove them a little damp and let them air dry. You can fluff the towel real good when it's dry to make it softer.

As the towels get older they will lose there nap and absorbency and will have to be replaced.

Where to buy towels........

Cannon & Fieldcrest make a lower quality version of their towels for K-Mart, Walmart and other big discount chains. These towels say 100% Cotton but that is not, totally true. The nap is 100% cotton but the backing material has polyester blend in it. So if you press a little to hard on the towel you can get some fine scratches or swirls. The point I'm trying to make is if a Cannon or Fieldcrest towel is selling in a discount store for $6.00 or less (approximately) it is not the good stuff. I buy all my Cannon & Fieldcrest towels in the Bath & Linen shops in the bigger stores in the mall. I pay anywhere from $10 to $20 per towel.

These are the real deal. I buy about 3 or 4 towels and they usually last me about a year.
Old 10/26/04, 06:21 PM
Cobra Member

I just ordered a 100% Cotton towel from www.griotsgarage.com which is supposed to be very high quality. I'll let you know how it goes. I also ordered their Stay Soft Chamois and Cleaner kit and will also report back.
Old 10/27/04, 01:19 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Believe it or not (if you are going to use a towel) I found a towel in the car section at Walmart and it is "soft" and made with microfibers. No lint, picks up water well. I use the absorber first to get off the big stuff and use the towel to pick up the rest. For touch up it's great with Meguires spray on instant detailer to get the dust and light dirt off.
Old 2/11/05, 10:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Go to Wal-Mart, head for the auto care section. On the lower shelf you will see some blue microfiber towels made by Calderon for around $7. Take a few of them home, wash with hot water & laundry soap (with nothing else), rinse them at least twice, dry with no other items or dryer sheets, and use them for drying your car. You won't be sorry I used these on my black 96GT with no swirl/scratch problems!
Old 2/13/05, 02:10 PM
FR500 Member

the absorber....thats the only towel i use...its great
Old 4/19/05, 12:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Microfiber towels are great and check the "Dollar General" stores or "Big Lots" and "Dollar" stores for great prices. They have a small section for car care but great prices. I got a package of 4 microfiber towels for $3 there
Old 5/6/05, 12:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sam's Club has 20 microfiber towels for ten bucks. I got them and love them!!!!
Old 6/6/05, 08:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

I order all my stuff from Meguires and I have their chamois for the first dry to soak up all the excess water then I switch to a microfiber towel to completely dry the Mustang off.
Old 6/15/05, 09:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

chamois for me
Old 6/16/05, 08:27 AM
Team Mustang Source

I've always used a Tanners Select chamois. You can find them at Kmart or Walmart. They are real chamois' and work great for me. The only downside of them is the price. The smallest size is $10 and they can go up to $30 for the largest size.
Old 6/19/05, 06:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

I used to be a chamois guy,
then switched to 100% cotton terry cloth,
but now Microfiber towels are awesome, no lint at all, you don't have to worry about them drying out, and they are cheap! I used them for drying and also for hand buffing after I wax -- I let the results speak for themselves: (I used Mr. Clean Autodry System, Meguiar's Quick Detailer, and Meguiar's Gold Class Wax - buffed with Dollar store Microfiber towels )

Old 6/19/05, 07:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Did I see you rolling in Virginia Beach yesterday?? Very nice!!!!! I was able to take mine out of the garage yesterday after I installed the Mach 1 chin spoiler. Pictures are on my web page which can be found below.

I use the microfiber towels too, have been for about 6 months. They are everywhere car supplies are sold now. Alot cheaper then they use to be.