Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Tiny Micro Spots on New Paint - Water Spots?

Search this Thread

Old 10/29/13, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tiny Micro Spots on New Paint - Water Spots?

Hello,

I seem to be having an issue with my brand new black paint where there are tiny spots all over the finish of the car. Although they are not visible to the eye even a foot away, the paint looks great. But when I was looking the paint over with a light I noticed all of these tiny spots.

I have washed the car 2 times with car soap, and tried the Dawn method once as I thought maybe it was old wax on the car. After nothing cleaned them off I came to think it was water marks. But water marks should be bigger in size and visible from a foot away without shining light should they not?

My brother has Zaino and I loved how his Z06 looked in the summer, so we applied a small couple inches to a spot of Z5 and it seems to have taken it off. Though the cold weather is setting in here and I am not sure if I will be able to give it a coat and try to see if it rids of the spots. My car will be parked for the winter and my worry is the spots will damage over the couple months.

The main question is has anyone seen thess micro spots on their paint before? Any chance you may know what they are?

I appreciate any help the community may give me. I picked up the car Tuesday and being the maticulous person I am, it kills me to have these spots on the brand new paint.

Thanks!
Old 10/29/13, 08:53 AM
Detailing Guru

Hey Dan, sorry to hear of your problems. I can't currently see the image (either something is wrong of it's BC I'm on my phone), but it is extremely unlikely there will be more damage caused by not getting this corrected prior to storage. The Flat Rock plant is a very nice facility, but the finished vehicles are planted in a huge parking lot prior to getting picked up for transport to dealers. There, they sit unprotected in the sun. It is likely that what you're seeing is the result of light contamination on your clear-coat. Claying and a light polishing step by a Dual Action polisher will likely alleviate the issue you face.
Old 10/29/13, 09:25 AM

Thanks for your reply Marc. The image shows for me, perhaps it is the phone, sorry about that.

Good to know about the storage issue though, just hate to wait four months haha. I am using the Zaino system and was told their paint cleaner might be what I need if clay doesn't do it. Is it normal practice to clay a new car?
Old 11/10/13, 07:20 PM

Sorry to hear that, and unfortunately I had the same problem as well. About a month ago I had a guy polish my car for me with a electric buffer and as he was polishing my car he told me that there were these tiny dots that looked like the clear coat was coming off but as he buffed it the dots went away. So I don't know if you have to use a buffer or just some wax and a microfiber cloth.
Old 12/19/13, 08:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I think I know what you're talking about. When I got mine it has a few patches that seemed hazy, like a fine mist had settled on the paint. After careful inspection it turned out that Ford simply didn't buff the car well enough after painting, and a bit of very light buffing cleaned it right up.