Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Those who have used ZAINO'S Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12/23/04, 09:28 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have tomorrow, from about 9 to 1, scheduled out to do some TLC on the GT.... and plan on breaking out the Zaino car show kit and going to town.

Just wanted to see about getting some tips or tricks from any Pony folk on here who have used the kit (wash, clay bar, polish, etc...) on their '05!

Thanks in advance!!
Old 12/23/04, 09:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought the kit as well and would be very interested in tips/tricks/general instructions on how to do it. The instructions that came with it are not very descriptive.
Old 12/23/04, 09:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Zaino is awesome, but unless you go through the proper steps to prep the paint prior to application you may as well put plain ole Turtle Wax on there. Search the forums at www.autopia.org for details, but here's a quick synopsis:

1. Clay the entire car
2. Polish by hand or random orbital using Meguiar's Swirl Mark Remover
3. Wash with Dawn dish soap (this will remove any traces of wax/polish)
4. Dry with microfiber towels
5. Apply Zaino per directions
6. Prepare to be amazed at how slick and shiny your car is!
Old 12/23/04, 09:53 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Zaino Application Instructions

Zaino Tips/Tricks
Old 12/23/04, 09:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Search for Zaino Brothers web site, they have lots of tips there. One of the things they stress is using 100% cotton, white towels to minimize scratches. The clay bar is great if your new car has rail dust on it (dealer should have done that if needed) but you shouldn't need to do that. If you can feel slight imperfections in the paint, go for it!

You'll want to wash first with Dawn dishwashing detergent in water because this will remove any old wax that may be on the finish.

This stuff goes on thin! You don't need to slather on the sealer coat (forget what that is called). After it dries you're ready to apply the polish right over top, you don't wipe off the sealer coat. The polish also goes on thin. Humidity may cause the dry time on the polish to go up so make sure you wait till it dries to remove. Easy to remove by the way. You'll notice the great shine after the first coat. I normally apply a couple more coats over the weekend. Don't be afraid, the more coats you put on the more you will like it.

Zaino is all I use on all my cars. Just like my 66 GT below. Drew

Old 12/23/04, 09:58 AM

www.zainobros.com
The website has all sorts of tips and tricks. I would read up on it. It is very descriptive on even what brand towels to use.
I use a leaf blower to dry the car up in minutes. I then follow up with a couple of towels to get any water that may be lingering. If you follow the instructions and some of the tips and tricks on the website, you will wash (Dawn), dry, claybar, wash (zaino wash), dry, wax, color loc, wax, color loc, wax, color loc-wait 24 hrs then do your next 3 coats. The multiple waxings in a row can only be done if you bought the ZFX. Best of look, I'm sure you'll make it look even better!

edit: Looks like everyone was just typing away to get the same info across.
Old 12/23/04, 10:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 169stang@December 23, 2004, 11:01 AM
www.zainobros.com
The website has all sorts of tips and tricks. I would read up on it. It is very descriptive on even what brand towels to use.
I use a leaf blower to dry the car up in minutes. I then follow up with a couple of towels to get any water that may be lingering. If you follow the instructions and some of the tips and tricks on the website, you will wash (Dawn), dry, claybar, wash (zaino wash), dry, wax, color loc, wax, color loc, wax, color loc-wait 24 hrs then do your next 3 coats. The multiple waxings in a row can only be done if you bought the ZFX. Best of look, I'm sure you'll make it look even better!

169Stang - It is not required or even recommended to apply the polish-loc in between coats of the polish. You only put on the polish-loc once. I normally remove it all and start over with a single coat of polish-loc about once a year. Unless this is something new I haven't heard about. Didn't see that on the website either. Drew
Old 12/23/04, 10:50 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally posted by 169stang@December 23, 2004, 11:01 AM
www.zainobros.com

Excellent - thanks Dave - and thanks to every one else. I had an idea of the process from the Zaino's site instructions but wante dot hear from real folks who had actually DONE it.

Just hope the weather holds out so I can get to this tomorrow!

Hey Dave - I've mentioned this to Boss Hog and 05GT-OCD - come next year, I want to try and organize and Southern Florida '05 meet. We gotta get all these Ponies in a corral at the same time!
Old 12/23/04, 10:55 AM
Big Falken Tires

By the way - I know the specifics about the Claybar, like tossing it if you drop it and using the solution to lubricate the surface of the car when you use the claybar....

But do you just kind of 'rub' it on the car? .......
Old 12/23/04, 11:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

One tip I have been using for years with great success:

I wash using the dawn and rinse to remove, one panel at a time. I then re-apply the soapy mix on the now clean body panel and clay using the soapy mixture as the lubricant for the clay. This is much quicker and the soapy mix is a better lubricant for the clay. I then dry thoroughly and begin the Zaino polish
process using the directions / tips on the www.ZainoBros.com website.

Zaino's is the best ! ... especially on Darker colors ... the shine will amaze you!
Old 12/23/04, 11:09 AM
Bullitt Member

I dont think you will need to Clay bar your new car. I would advise skipping that step.
Here is my car after 3 coats of Zaino, 1 coat of loc 1 coat of #2 polish let sit. spray her down with the Detailer spray 2nd coat of #2 polish. Repeat as many times as you can. I go over her one more time at the shows with detailer I have never clay barred this car...
Black cars really eat this stuff up...
I wont use anything else...

Old 12/23/04, 11:15 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually I think you should clay bar the car. Several of us have overspray on our cars, I have a lot on the hood and trunk lid so I need to get rid of that stuff.
Old 12/23/04, 11:52 AM
V6 Member

I used the clay bar on mine and also had to spend a lot of time on the hood and trunk lid...I'd also highly recommend doing that step.
Old 12/23/04, 12:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by Hellcat6@December 23, 2004, 11:01 AM
Search for Zaino Brothers web site, they have lots of tips there. One of the things they stress is using 100% cotton, white towels to minimize scratches. The clay bar is great if your new car has rail dust on it (dealer should have done that if needed) but you shouldn't need to do that. If you can feel slight imperfections in the paint, go for it!

You'll want to wash first with Dawn dishwashing detergent in water because this will remove any old wax that may be on the finish.

This stuff goes on thin! You don't need to slather on the sealer coat (forget what that is called). After it dries you're ready to apply the polish right over top, you don't wipe off the sealer coat. The polish also goes on thin. Humidity may cause the dry time on the polish to go up so make sure you wait till it dries to remove. Easy to remove by the way. You'll notice the great shine after the first coat. I normally apply a couple more coats over the weekend. Don't be afraid, the more coats you put on the more you will like it.

Zaino is all I use on all my cars. Just like my 66 GT below. Drew

:worship: That is one sweeeet looking '66!! :worship:
Old 12/23/04, 12:17 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

How long does it take you guys to do a complete zaino application without the drying time?
Old 12/23/04, 06:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Outdoorstom! She's up on blocks for a minor "rustectomy" in the trunk. Lets hope that rust is the one legacy from the early Mustangs that Ford chose to leave out of the 05.
Old 12/24/04, 05:55 AM
Banned

I hate to do this but:

do a search for zaino on this forum. Someone posted in a zaino thread a very in depth how to on every step.
Old 12/24/04, 06:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Heeeeeeeeeee's back. Grantsdale, where you been? I didn't put "have" in that sentence to give you something to pick at. Anyway, they actually recommend using dawn? I thought those kinds of products were not to be used on car paint/clearcoats? I love the Zaino results, just sounds like a serious production with the ZFX.
Old 12/24/04, 07:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts
They actually recommend using Dawn, in order to strip off any existing wax before beginning with Zaino products. That is the only purpose for using Dawn. Oncew you have stripped wax off with Dawn it has done the job it was intended to do.
Old 12/24/04, 09:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@December 23, 2004, 12:18 PM
Actually I think you should clay bar the car. Several of us have overspray on our cars, I have a lot on the hood and trunk lid so I need to get rid of that stuff.
If your car came from the factory with overspray or anything on the paint let the dealership fix it under warrenty. then go over it very carefully to check for scratches. If it gets scratched they will be responsible to fix it.

Quick Reply: Those who have used ZAINO'S Kit