Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Storage

Search this Thread

Old 11/6/05, 10:56 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Currently deployed to Bosnia for 6 mths. What are somethings I can do to lessen the effects of outdoor storage (under a car cover) on my GT Convertible as it will not be driven for four months plus after a 4-day pass this month. Car currently has 2600+ miles on it. Thanks for any tips
Mike
Old 11/6/05, 11:29 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I take it no garage? if not the only thing I can think of is wax the heck out of it and maybe put 2 covers on it.?
Old 11/6/05, 12:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Rent a storage unit...
Old 11/6/05, 12:19 PM
Bullitt Member

i would suggest a few things

1. leave the top up
2. take the wheels off an put the car on jackstands
3. pick up a can of STA-BIL, its a fuel stabilizer. Add it right before you fill the tank up. then store the car.
4. change oil if u havent recently.
5. wash/wax like boltzman said and put the cover on it
Old 11/6/05, 01:18 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yup, what meanstang said. You might also want to do a search on the site for winter storage. The snow part might not apply to your situation, but several us have listed the steps we will perform on the car since they will be stored for 5-6 months.
Old 11/6/05, 01:26 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't know if this is applicable to your situation but in addition to the other suggestiuons, you could try this...

Car Capsule
Old 11/6/05, 01:32 PM
GT Member

Mike, I've left mine in storage for 3-4 months at a time while I've been overseas, too, and have had zero problems. If you follow some of the good advice in the previous posts, you should have no worries. Good luck.
Old 11/6/05, 01:32 PM
GT Member

Here is what you can do. I have stored a few mustang outside in my day, and most because of overseas deployments. Here are my recommendations.

1) Car cover is a must I recommend California Car Cover Storm Weave. Its about 200 bones, it will last you for years to come, and its form fitted to your car, so its better then a garage.
2) Change the oil as the last thing you do, fresh oil is a must in both a warm or cold climate. Change it again when you return.
3) Wash and wax that thing, a good coat of protection will serve you well before you cover it.
4) If possible leave a set a keys with someone you trust to start the vehicle once a week, just let it idle for a few minutes just to keep the engine lubricated. This will prevent problems down the line with your motor and eliminates friction starts.
5) Finally when you return perform a break in drive. A slow drive just to get the rear end broke in again. Don't beat on the car for about 50 miles. This will ensure everything is lubricated again.

Thats all I have; there are recommendations to remove tires, but you probably have radials on so they won't square up on you like the old bias ply did. Good luck man
Old 11/6/05, 10:12 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by Ugabulldog83@November 6, 2005, 11:59 AM
Currently deployed to Bosnia for 6 mths. What are somethings I can do to lessen the effects of outdoor storage (under a car cover) on my GT Convertible as it will not be driven for four months plus after a 4-day pass this month. Car currently has 2600+ miles on it. Thanks for any tips
Mike
Have fun in Bosnia, I was there few months ago (my country is located next to Bosnia; there were always troubles between those 2 countries).
Old 11/6/05, 10:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

3. pick up a can of STA-BIL, its a fuel stabilizer. Add it right before you fill the tank up. then store the car.

Good advice; Starting the car once a week is harder on the Engine than just letting it sit for 4 Months.
It's one Dry start compared to 16.

I'm going to try that Break-in drive Tip next Spring.
Old 11/7/05, 12:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the space at your place can accomidate it, I recommend getting a car port. One of those covered spots that are staked into the grond, have a tar-like roof, and you can also cover the sides. Most home stores (Home Depot, Lowe's) carries them. Just a suggestion. Good luck.
Old 11/7/05, 12:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

might want to try this ....

http://www.carcapsule.com/
Old 11/7/05, 07:51 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by Red Star@November 7, 2005, 1:15 AM
Have fun in Bosnia, I was there few months ago (my country is located next to Bosnia; there were always troubles between those 2 countries).
Can a person in the service actually have fun in Bosnia? :scratch:
Old 11/8/05, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by NiteHawk422@November 6, 2005, 1:35 PM
Here is what you can do. I have stored a few mustang outside in my day, and most because of overseas deployments. Here are my recommendations.

1) Car cover is a must I recommend California Car Cover Storm Weave. Its about 200 bones, it will last you for years to come, and its form fitted to your car, so its better then a garage.
2) Change the oil as the last thing you do, fresh oil is a must in both a warm or cold climate. Change it again when you return.
3) Wash and wax that thing, a good coat of protection will serve you well before you cover it.
4) If possible leave a set a keys with someone you trust to start the vehicle once a week, just let it idle for a few minutes just to keep the engine lubricated. This will prevent problems down the line with your motor and eliminates friction starts.
5) Finally when you return perform a break in drive. A slow drive just to get the rear end broke in again. Don't beat on the car for about 50 miles. This will ensure everything is lubricated again.

Thats all I have; there are recommendations to remove tires, but you probably have radials on so they won't square up on you like the old bias ply did. Good luck man
NiteHawk has it. Since you seem to be in the military look into free storage from the government. It is indoors and cars are started and driven a short distance monthly. It depends on the type of orders, but worth asking.
Old 11/14/05, 09:29 PM
GT Member

Dont forget about the inside also, put some fabric softener sheets inside to help with that musky smell...... I have also read about putting some moth ***** in and around the outside to keep the pesky rodents away. God bless you on your trip to Bosnia