Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

SCRATCHES!

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/05, 12:35 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was cleaning bird crap off my car, and it left some nasty scratches on the hood. Is there any way to get rid of that with out repainting the hood? Or am I just going to have to shoot down every darn bird that flys within 1000 feet of my car…..thanks
Old 11/8/05, 12:36 PM
V6 Member

oh my car is black too if that helps......
Old 11/8/05, 12:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Don't use sandpaper to get off bird crap is rule A.

Second, buy some good quality waxes, ie, pinnacle souveran off of autogeek.net and hope that it masks them over.
Old 11/8/05, 06:27 PM
Cobra Member

No, not Souveran. It won't do anything. I have Souveran and it is strictly an appearance wax that is amazing (I have it), but it doesn't do anything to get scratches out. You might want to get a fine polish such as Poorboy's SSR 1 or 2.
Old 11/10/05, 02:14 PM

my moms car is a black 04 conv. and thanx to hurricane wilma it has a dent on the hood and some scratches even with it being parked in the garage, any suggestions on how to fix it other than new paint job?
Old 11/10/05, 03:10 PM
Bullitt Member

i was washing my car today and i noticed TONS on fine scratches in the clear! what should i do?
Old 11/10/05, 05:54 PM

Use a buffer with the aid of some 3M scratch remover. DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ARE INEXPERIENCED!!! If there are just some small swirl marks, or scratches, they should buff right out.
Old 11/11/05, 04:41 AM
Bullitt Member

yea, i'm definately inexperienced, so i might get it done at this detailing place. I don't wanna screw up my new baby!
Old 11/11/05, 06:55 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whatever you do, never use a cheap buffer. Only use a professional grade buffer. Foam pads also do a better job than wool. So here are my detailing tips of the day.

1. If you just have light swirl marks or "spider webbing", use a glaze product to help hide them. You don't want to polish the car more than once a year since polish actually wears down the clearcoat. 3M makes a great glaze. You can get one specifically engineered for dark colours. I use it all the time on my black cars. You can apply it by hand or machine, I prefer by machine. After you have removed the excess glaze you then wax the car.

2. If you insist on polishing the car, if the scratches are just fine scratches, use a fine scratch remover or polish. Keep in mind polish is along the lines of a liquid sandpaper. The purpose of polish is to remove clearcoat until the scratch has disappeared, so as you can see, you don't want to do this often. If you use scratch remover by hand you might end up with a worst job than if you had left the scratches alone. I use products made by a company called Farecla. The products are used by professional detailers. Also, whenever I use products like this I make sure the area I am working on is wet and I keet a spray bottle of water next to me to keep wetting the are while I am working on it.

3. The way I take care of my car is......once a year I polish the entire car with a machine and a fine polish. Then completely wash it down by hand. I then apply glaze by machine. I wash the washmitt and using new water and soap I wash the entire car again. Then I wax it.

It is very important that you wash all of the polish off of the car. If not you will just be scratching it all over again. Make sure your washmitt is clean. Never use a brush on your car or take it through a drive-thru car wash that uses brushes. To help protect my car from getting swirl marks I wax it every 3-4 weeks.

Polishing a car properly is not that bad if you have the proper materials and take your time. It also depends on how you want your car to look. When I detail cars for shows it is not uncommon for me to take 12-16 hours detailing a black car. I don't want a single swirl mark on it.

The true swirl mark test is at night. Park your car in an area where you can have another car park at a 45 degree angle with its lights on. Have that car park in a way that the lights hit the back corner panel and project along the lenght of the car. Standing near the front of the car, sqwat down so you are about even with the headlights and look down the length of the car, slowly moving your head from the left to the right to get a different look at the car. If you have swirl marks you will definately see them.
Old 11/11/05, 12:41 PM
FR500 Member

VEry good tips, adrenalin. Had to print that out for reference.
Old 11/11/05, 04:25 PM
Bullitt Member

the porter cable 7424 is a good orbital buffer. which means a newb can use it an not hurt his paint. the buffers that pros use are the rotorarys. they can do wonders for really badly scratched cars. but can easily burn thru paint if you dont know what you're doing.

if you want the easy an cheap route.. scratchx by meguiars. apply by hand. rub it in until it almost disappears and you should fix up your swirls.
Old 11/11/05, 08:38 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porter Cable is what I use. Paid about $250.00 CAD for it 14 years ago and still works like a charm. I know what you mean about burning the paint. However, that is why I make sure the panels are wet when I start, then light mist while I am working on the area. I start the buffer on the slowest setting to keep most of the product from flying off. I gradually speed up the buffer. Once most of the product has been removed I lightly mist the area and then finish buffing.
Old 11/17/05, 11:33 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Budders@November 10, 2005, 6:13 PM
i was washing my car today and i noticed TONS on fine scratches in the clear! what should i do?
I have the exact same thing in mine, They are not easy to get rid of I will tell you that. DO NOT use a buffer your self it requires a good knowledge of how to do it properly. The clear coat seems to scratch very easy on these stangs. darn that baby skin. I will be posting my findings with using Zaino to remove the scratches in a few mins.

And heres the link
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=39079