Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Rust Prof?

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/04, 10:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm dropping of my girl tomarrow morning to get my stripe kit and teflon clearcoat. The dealer really pushes the rust protection system that they carry. And now would be the time to get it. What do you think??
Old 12/2/04, 10:20 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by sync007@December 2, 2004, 9:20 AM
I'm dropping of my girl tomarrow morning to get my stripe kit and teflon clearcoat. The dealer really pushes the rust protection system that they carry. And now would be the time to get it. What do you think??
Rust Protection as in a liquidy spray that finds all the nooks and crannies is okay.......Undercoating is not, from what I've heard from the educated folks on this subject. B)
Old 12/2/04, 10:43 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It depends on where you live, so this survey won't give a true answer, for example, I live in Florida, it doesn't snow here, there is never any salt on the road. So I think it would be a waist for me to get it.
Old 12/2/04, 11:01 AM
Cobra Member

how about the salt air in Florida?.. does it affect the metal?
Old 12/2/04, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by clintoris@December 2, 2004, 12:04 PM
Not that I have seen, now thinking about it, I don't know anyone with any rust on there car, at least from what I have seen. I don't think there is that much salt in the air.
Old 12/2/04, 11:19 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by holderca1+December 2, 2004, 12:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (holderca1 @ December 2, 2004, 12:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clintoris@December 2, 2004, 12:04 PM
Not that I have seen, now thinking about it, I don't know anyone with any rust on there car, at least from what I have seen. I don't think there is that much salt in the air. [/b][/quote]
right on... my wife and I are moving out to Clearwater in August... we'll practically be neighbors!
Old 12/2/04, 11:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by clintoris@December 2, 2004, 12:04 PM
I don't know in FL, but when I lived in Virginia Beach, there were some cars that had rust. Nothing like in the snowy states though. I bought a car from a lady that lived very close to the ocean front and it had rust.
Old 12/2/04, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by Kluski+December 2, 2004, 12:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kluski @ December 2, 2004, 12:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clintoris@December 2, 2004, 12:04 PM
I don't know in FL, but when I lived in Virginia Beach, there were some cars that had rust. Nothing like in the snowy states though. I bought a car from a lady that lived very close to the ocean front and it had rust. [/b][/quote]
Yeah I can see if you lived on the water, with the spray from the waves and such, but other than that, I don't think its a problem.
Old 12/2/04, 12:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

if you live close to the beach, there is a high chance that you are going to have salt in the air. If you live in the middle of Florida, no worries.

I really wish my dealer would have this teflon clearcoat thing. I was sold on the exterior protection package, because I thought the person said the clearcoat was going on. But all I heard about after it was done was this crappy bottle of "special wax".....
Old 12/2/04, 01:32 PM

As someone that owned a detail shop and applied the rustproofing to cars:

1) Get it if it comes with a written warranty, and your in the snow belt and only if you plan on keeping your car for more than 5 yrs.
2) Most dealers farm out this work.
3) To do a good job access holes are drilled (especially to get into the doors)
These are plugged with rubber gromets. About 3/8" Diameter.
4) The cost to dealers is about $30-$50 per car, so work your best deal.
5) On very hot days you may notce some of this rustproofing drip from the bottom of the door.

Washing your car every week from road salt is another option.

I lived in Wisconsin for many years when I had my shop.

Make sure to read the fine print, you'd be surprised on all the disclaimers.
Old 12/2/04, 01:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

I live in NY, things rust like overnight here...so I went with it. It was only like $100 from the dealer so I figured I would protect my investment any way I could.
Old 12/2/04, 01:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by chorpeac@December 2, 2004, 1:25 PM
if you live close to the beach, there is a high chance that you are going to have salt in the air. If you live in the middle of Florida, no worries.

I really wish my dealer would have this teflon clearcoat thing. I was sold on the exterior protection package, because I thought the person said the clearcoat was going on. But all I heard about after it was done was this crappy bottle of "special wax".....
That's what I was thinkin' it was... a special wax. Why would a dealership accept liability (warranty) for a Maaco quality clearcoat? to clear coat it properly, they'd have to pull all glass, lights, molding, etc. or the edges will flake and peel. To do it properly would be over a grand, just because of the labor. So.. yeah... wax it yourself, save the cash.

as far as the salt air goes, I'll be living in Clearwater which is on the peninsula between Tampa Bay and the Gulf.... salt water 15 minutes in either direction...so, there will be salt in the air. Anybody from around these parts know how it treats vehicles? Is it going to be something that I'll definitly want to preempt, or is it going to be a non-issue?
Old 12/2/04, 02:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

When I used to buy cars from all over the US, I collected factory original cars 1955 to present, different regions had different concerns. Since many were 20+ years old the concerns were exacerbated. From Florida we could see signs of rust but not on the bottoms or wheel wells like Northeast cars but tops of cars. This was from the salt in the air from the ocean. Nevada, Arizona the leather interiors would break down and crack, wood (Rolls Royce) would crack from the extreme heat. Of course cars from the rust belt would do just that in the typical spots, door boxes, trunk floors rear quarters. Cars from PA and Virginia were the cream puffs. In those regions you would see cars with many miles but the underside and engine compartment looked like the day it came off the line. I'm a little hesitant to trust the protection polishes, sealants and electronic rust eliminator they offer. Why? Because I have seen these products since the 70's and if any of them made a difference as they claim we would all be using them or the manufactures would be doing it. No conclusive proof ever. Wash it at least once a week and oil change every 3-5K and you will have a car that will go over 120K miles and you won't see any rust for more than 5-8 years if then. Also repair any damage ASAP. But just like I change my oil sooner than it needs because that gives me security, if you feel better buying this stuff, do it.
Old 12/2/04, 02:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by I8URVTEC@December 2, 2004, 2:37 PM
I live in NY, things rust like overnight here...so I went with it. It was only like $100 from the dealer so I figured I would protect my investment any way I could.
100????

Holy Crap!!! they want to charge me $575.00 :angry: :angry:
Old 12/2/04, 02:32 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks, Bill... that's an informative perspective... I'm pretty adamant about waxing anyways.... once a week, or two, but wash at least once a week.... I know waxes say you only need to do it once a year, but this ain't no Honda. I plan on keepin' her for a long long time.
Old 12/2/04, 08:33 PM
Cobra Member

If your keepin it for sunny days or driven it a lot, it comes from factory with all it needs to survive. Just add your own TLC. The early 90 's stangs of my friends that do not see fowl wheater look great the complete car. And if your going to use it everyday. Its wore out before any real rust. Save the funds for the next one.
Old 12/2/04, 09:37 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Giddyup+December 2, 2004, 1:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Giddyup @ December 2, 2004, 1:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sync007@December 2, 2004, 9:20 AM
Rust Protection as in a liquidy spray that finds all the nooks and crannies is okay.......Undercoating is not, from what I've heard from the educated folks on this subject. B) [/b][/quote]
Yup, oil-based with an agent added to promote "wicking" into nooks and crannies is the way to go. Undercoating can actually trap moisture + salt between the tar and the car if done incorrectly/not maintained.
Old 12/2/04, 09:42 PM
Bullitt Member

i figured that the paint these days would act as an anode to protect the metal of the car?
Old 12/2/04, 09:46 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As far as Florida is concerned, unless you have a beach house, salt in the air won't be a problem for you. The bigger problem will be the effects of the sun (faded interior, plastic moldings fade, etc). I live 5 miles inland, NO rust issues, period. I'm from North East Ohio... they dump salt on the roads like crazy, and it rusts the heck out of older vehicles. But between being a new vehicle and being in FL... rust proofing is a waste of $! B)
Old 12/2/04, 11:16 PM

most new cars nowadays a constructed with galvanized metals and plastics. rust isn't nearly the problem it used to be even in the northern states. i live in minnesota and we salt the roads up here. drive a 98 intrepid without rustproofing on it and not a spot of rust anywhere on the car.

Quick Reply: Rust Prof?