Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Rock Hit My Hood

Search this Thread

Old 6/12/04, 06:05 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the car out today..and somewhere along the line, a rock must have come up and put a small chip into my hood...As my name says..I have a sonic blue vert, so this stands out like a sore thumb...It's right on one of the lines in the hood.. I have some touch up from the dealer...should I use a toothpick to fill it in and try to make it look as good as possible..or is there another solution that I'm not seeing... Any input would be appreciated

Thanks
Old 6/12/04, 06:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use a toothpick touch-up as an interim solution, and when people post a more permanent solution, use those.
Old 6/13/04, 07:58 AM
Cobra R Member

You will get more dings over time. Careful touch up paint application when the car is in the shade and the hood is not hot should tide you over. My car is Black, so I can see all of the paint dings really well too. I just keep it all really shiny so that no one else notices the touch up paint. You may want to use some wax over that touch up in a day or so too.
Old 6/13/04, 08:12 AM
GT Member

I don't so much mind the little imperfections..this one is just in my line of sight..so it's killing me....I touched it up with the toothpick and it doesn't look horrible...I was actually gonna wax it this am...but I decided to wait..and after reading your post, I'll give it another day or too...I was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas that I hadn't thought about.... But thanks for the inputs so far...
Old 6/13/04, 03:59 PM
Cobra R Member

One of the reasons I bought Black, is because of the ease of touch up painting. I saw an ad for a touch up kit that costs about 21 dollars. a little filler, paint, and clearcoat all in one kit. Black is easy, I do not know if they have it in sonic blue.

I believe it is down at my local Advance Auto-parts store.

You could still buy something close and then use the ford sonic blue touch up paint.
Old 6/16/04, 08:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are serious and want to spend the money, try filling it in carefully with touch up paint, then buff over it with an electric random orbital buffer and some medium polish. You have to be careful not to overdo it and thin the good paint. If you get it even with the good paint, it will be difficult to see. This is tricky. If you are not comfortable doing it, get a professional to help.
Old 6/16/04, 09:39 PM
GT Member

I will try that..the big thing is...that it is right along the left hoodline...so it's very visible to me from the drivers seat...It's amazing how a car can become such an obsession...God I love this thing

thanks...

If anyone has any ideas..please pass them..I need all the input I can get

thanks
Old 6/17/04, 12:06 AM

shoot i had out my car the other day and a rock flew up and slammed my window, now i got a crack the size of a golf ball. i was so pissed, but i wrote down the liscense plate and insurance is taking care of it for free.
Old 6/22/04, 12:40 PM
GT Member

Figured I'd give a little update...I used a toothpick to fill the chip, then I waited about a week. On Saturday I washed the car. Used a little polishing compound to clean it up a little. After that I used teh Meguires 3 step system.. Holy Smokes...The car looks great...and if you guys are telling me zaino's is better..I'm ordering it now... The Hood looks good..You can see it if you really look for it..but it blended in pretty good... Thanks for the imput... Funny thing though, I took the car out on Sunday to my dad's house and I rock hit my hood too..I couldn't do anything but laugh after reading Novamatts story. Luckily for me it didn't crack the windsheild, but I was wondering if it happens again can I just write down anyones plate number and blame them????
Old 6/23/04, 12:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Nope, there is no liability for another driver tossing a rock unless it's a trucker with no flaps on the back, even then it's hard to do. My 97 had a few specks on the front bumper when I bought it. The dealer had me contact a company called SameDay scratch and ding repair. They did a few spots on my car and the whole front bumper, it looks factory fresh. They did the bumper for $180 at my house. The body shop wanted to pull the bumper, primer it, and repaint, clearcoat, etc. Almost $350. I'd talk to one of the bigger dealers in your area, they all have someone that does this touch up stuff on their used cars they get on trade in and on the new cars that get scuffed on test drives or even on the truck when being delivered. Good Luck.
Old 6/23/04, 07:37 PM
Bullitt Member

I've got a nice one that shows the FG in all it's glory

I like to think of them as battle scars
Old 6/23/04, 08:20 PM
Bullitt Member

maybe a few little scars are ok. i just took my car to a bodyshop. a large tree limb fell on it and dented the roof and the top of 2 doors. The only paint damage was maybe 2 spots 1/2 long on the roof crease on either side.

Well i thought i took it to a pro but i went and saw my car yesterday and i was like wtf... u think that is even a decent attempt at a paint job? It looked like a car that had been repainted...orange peel city. If i knew it was gonna look even half that bad i could have had the dents removed and touched up the small spots myself. Now the whole thing looks like crap. I didnt accept it we'll see what happens...
Old 6/23/04, 11:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

If they are ASE certified and/or any other automobile certified, be sure to make a complaint to the certification company. The threat alone got my old cars front bumper redone. If they do any work for local car dealers, make sure the dealerships service department manager knows. Last thing a dealership wants to do is send one of their new vehicles that someone jacked up on a test drive to a bad bodyshop. Keep us posted, I'd like to know how it worked out. That's why I'm going to pay extra at a specialty hot rod/custom shop. Good Luck.
Old 6/24/04, 06:57 PM
GT Member

My 04 explorer had to be fixed, the guy who did it does the work for the dealer where I got all my fords...I was surprised at the crappy job he did...but you are right...I called my buddy who's a salesman there, and he told the owner...one call later I had a new appt to have everything fixed.. I'm just happy I was able to clean up my car myself....
Old 6/24/04, 11:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Good to hear. The dealership doesn't want to have the bodyshop they recommend giving them a bad reputation. They know word can spread. Glad to hear the Mustang is looking good. I know how that is.