Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Porter Cable 7424XP

Search this Thread

Old 5/23/12, 07:56 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Porter Cable 7424XP

Think I am going to pull the trigger and get this...I see Autogeek has several packages set up for it...do they normally have the best price or are there other places to get these? For 2 newer cars with hardly any and the other with minor swirls, what pads would be the best. Finally, what swirl remover does everyone else use to get that like new finish? Any help appreciated for this "machine newbie"! I plan on watching the video's I have seen online on how to use but wanted to get the consensus from the pro's on the site...
Old 5/23/12, 08:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is what I bought, love it;

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-330-a...g-pad-kit.aspx

With a bottle of Orange;

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-97-ad...er-polish.aspx

Start watching these, lots of great tips and techniques. Like never start or stop the polisher with the treated pad off the car surface...

Old 5/23/12, 08:11 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Questions like this are best suited for the "Car Care" section...

I have a 7424 that I bought from Autogeek, and honestly, I'd recommend you get a Griot's DA instead. For the cost, it's a more powerful unit and you'll get better correction results with it in less time.

Also, when I bought my combo set from Autogeek, they sent me 6.5" pads, but a 5" backing plate, which they include with all orders, and it's too small to get effective cutting.
Old 5/25/12, 12:12 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Overboost

I have a 7424 that I bought from Autogeek, and honestly, I'd recommend you get a Griot's DA instead. For the cost, it's a more powerful unit and you'll get better correction results with it in less time.

Also, when I bought my combo set from Autogeek, they sent me 6.5" pads, but a 5" backing plate, which they include with all orders, and it's too small to get effective cutting.
Would you say that the Griots DA is as "safe" as the porter cable?

Still haven't pulled the trigger and bought a DA polisher yet but plan on it soon.
Old 5/25/12, 12:29 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stacks Warmen

Would you say that the Griots DA is as "safe" as the porter cable?

Still haven't pulled the trigger and bought a DA polisher yet but plan on it soon.
Yes, I would. If you take your time and properly take steps to ease in to correction, you shouldn't damage your paint. It will take you less time with the Griots than it will with the PC.

I'm seriously considering a Griots to add to my collection and keep the PC for LSP application.
Old 5/26/12, 03:10 PM
GT Member

I've always had good results with my Flex 3401. Here's a link to it http://www.detailedimage.com/Flex-M26/XC-3401-VRG-P128/ Both PC & Flex make good buffers but Flex had a little less vibration--try out both & decide which one you like. The Flex is a little more pricey but they're both good models. Either way just use it carefully & you shouldn't have issues. You can combine various pads and polishes to get the paint correction you want with a lot less work.
Old 5/26/12, 03:22 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
From what I'm understanding, the Porter Cable will do fine with a bigger backing plate. The backing plate that comes with it is too small for the pads it comes with.
Old 5/28/12, 07:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Porter Cable 7424 with the 5 inch backing plate and it works well for me.
I have 5.5" pads to go with it from various manufacturers, Souns, Lake Country and Meguiars.
Old 5/30/12, 10:07 AM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Being in the business, I can whole heartedly rec the Porter Cable and the new Meqiars Paint correction pad kit for it. Am currently using it today on a project and still liking it from day one of purchase.
Old 5/31/12, 07:00 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
First off...JC, congrats on pulling the trigger on a PC. Regardless of paint condition (i.e. some swirls, lotsa swirls, etc), a DA is your best friend to achieve paint perfection, and the ultimate wet look. Now WHICH DA to get is an open question. Ultimately, with all the great options out there, you can't go wrong.

I have the PC and the Flex3401. Flex is for more advanced folks, though it is still very easy to use. If you're just starting off, the PC or Griots Garage (GG) will be perfect for you. The Flex cuts faster, better, and achieves an overall better result in significantly less time. But it requires a firmer hand (forced rotation). It performs like a rotary but with the safety of a DA. Again, I recommend the PC or GG for starting out.

As for pads, for starters, get an Orange, White, and Gray pad. The other pads you can worry about later on when you get better at it. For the most part these 3 types will cover just about what you need it for.

As for polishes, I recommend the Menzerna line, I use Power Finish (via orange or white) for correction, then Super Finish (via gray pad) for finish/fine polishing, or more so called the jeweling stage. You can use the other Menz products like PO85RD, etc.... but the 2 I mentioned give you the best results with no nonsense. I've tried many other brands (like Meg's, PB's, Optimum, etc), but keeping coming back to Menz stuff. They cut fast, minimal dust, and leave an almost 1 step shine to all their stuff. Also long working time.

You will need conditioning sprays (I recommend the XMT conditioner) and cleaning sprays (Blackfire cleaner with pad brush). You will also need a LOT of MF towels.

I also use 50/50 alcohol solution or sometimes Menz Top Finish to make sure I get the polish oils out of the finish after polishing. This is to ensure you indeed corrected the finish instead of covering them up.

Sorry to ramble, but this topic is VERY DEEP. And I can't cover it all in one post response. Just keep posting your questions and I'll try to answer.

One last tip, remember to ALWAYS CLAY before polishing.

I'm sure you'll have questions like, how much polish to use, how many passes to make via DA, how long each pass, how much do I push down on the DA, etc etc etc..... don't worry, just all comes with experience.

Originally Posted by Overboost

Though I agree that you need a larger backing plate or smaller pads to accomodate the 5" backing plate, they do this for an added factor of safety for newbies. If they hit a crease or a significant curve, the extra pad cushioning will protect the paint from the spinning plate. You know what I mean? That's the only reason.

Given that, I switch backing plates (5", to 3.5", etc) and pads (6.5 to 5.5, to 3.5, etc) all the time, depending on my needs. I have also been able to get proper cutting even if the pads are larger than the plates (6.5 to 5).

Originally Posted by Rob O
I've always had good results with my Flex 3401. Here's a link to it http://www.detailedimage.com/Flex-M26/XC-3401-VRG-P128/ Both PC & Flex make good buffers but Flex had a little less vibration--try out both & decide which one you like. The Flex is a little more pricey but they're both good models. Either way just use it carefully & you shouldn't have issues. You can combine various pads and polishes to get the paint correction you want with a lot less work.
Agree. Flex is my favorite. I've used rotary before, and tho it cuts much much much faster, I find I like the finish of the flex better. Esp with its safety.