Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

polishing compound?

Search this Thread

Old 11/27/05, 11:07 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys know of a product called 3M Rubbing Compound, or something like it? What do you use it for?
Old 11/28/05, 07:56 AM
Bullitt Member

The stuff I have is called 3M Rubbing Compound. It says it's safe for clear coat finishes and it took the marks from my use of 1500 grit sandpaper out quite nicely (tried fixing a rock chip).
Old 11/28/05, 08:56 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can probably find that product at an autobody supply store.

A good quality swirl remover from the regular auto parts store should be able to do the job as well.
Old 11/28/05, 09:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Google'ed 3M and found their webiste 3M Rubbing Compounds
Old 11/28/05, 02:19 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by 06VistaPony@November 28, 2005, 8:59 AM
The stuff I have is called 3M Rubbing Compound. It says it's safe for clear coat finishes and it took the marks from my use of 1500 grit sandpaper out quite nicely (tried fixing a rock chip).
After you used the rubbing compound, did it leave the paint dull? Did you have to follow it up with a swirl remover or anything else?
Old 11/28/05, 03:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by hpaddict@November 28, 2005, 2:22 PM
After you used the rubbing compound, did it leave the paint dull? Did you have to follow it up with a swirl remover or anything else?
The surface was pretty shiny. But I followed up with a product I have from One Grand called Special Touch just because I have it. It's great at removing swirls. Then I used their glaze followed by Mequire's #20. I did not feel like mixing up another batch of Zaino for such a small area.
Old 11/28/05, 05:51 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by 06VistaPony@November 28, 2005, 4:16 PM
The surface was pretty shiny. But I followed up with a product I have from One Grand called Special Touch just because I have it. It's great at removing swirls. Then I used their glaze followed by Mequire's #20. I did not feel like mixing up another batch of Zaino for such a small area.
Sounds good. I'll give it a shot.
Old 11/28/05, 06:29 PM
GT Member

Rubbing compound is a little rougher on the paint surface than polishing compound-be careful if you're using a buffer and be sure to keep the buffer moving or you could really damage the paint (I used it on my '80 Capri and almost burned through the paint). Clay could also do a similar job and maybe a little less damaging to the paint. Hope it works good for you. Later!! Rob
Old 11/29/05, 06:48 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it says Turtlewax anywhere on the bottle, don't use it. 3M and Farecla are my top 2 choices for polishes (rubbing compounds) and glazes. Both work extremely well however.......when you read the directions on the 3M bottle it will say can be applied by hand or machine and then goes on about how if you apply it by hand you may end up with some swirl marks. I always use a professional polishing machine and 3M pads when apply any type of polish.
Old 11/29/05, 07:00 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by Rob O@November 28, 2005, 9:32 PM
Rubbing compound is a little rougher on the paint surface than polishing compound-be careful if you're using a buffer and be sure to keep the buffer moving or you could really damage the paint (I used it on my '80 Capri and almost burned through the paint). Clay could also do a similar job and maybe a little less damaging to the paint. Hope it works good for you. Later!! Rob

Clay cannot get rid of swirl marks or scratches. It only removes surface gunk like sap, bird &*#@, tar and some oxidization.

Here is a tip. When using a buffer for polishing make sure the you keep the surface cool by keeping it wet. The Farecla G-Mop is perfect. You soak the pad in water and then wring out the excess water. Apply some compound to the pad. Rinse the area you are going to work on with cold water. Start the buffer on a slow speed. As you work the product in a small area (no larger than 2'x2') slowly increase the buffer speed. Before the product begins to dry, stop buffing (pull the buffer away from the paint while you still have it turned on). Apply some water to the area (don't wash the compound off). Turn the buffer back on and buff the area clean. This will definately help prevent burning of the paint and removal of swirl marks.

Another tip....... Be very careful when polishing near any edges of the car. That is where paint is the thinest and where you can damage the paint on the car and pad of the buffer.
Old 11/30/05, 07:20 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@November 29, 2005, 8:03 AM
Clay cannot get rid of swirl marks or scratches. It only removes surface gunk like sap, bird &*#@, tar and some oxidization.

Here is a tip. When using a buffer for polishing make sure the you keep the surface cool by keeping it wet. The Farecla G-Mop is perfect. You soak the pad in water and then wring out the excess water. Apply some compound to the pad. Rinse the area you are going to work on with cold water. Start the buffer on a slow speed. As you work the product in a small area (no larger than 2'x2') slower increase the buffer speed. Before the product begins to dry stop buffing (pull the buffer away from the paint while you still have it turned on). Apply some water to the area (don't wash the compound off). Turn the buffer back on and buff the area clean. This will definately help prevent burning of the paint and removal of swirl marks.

Another tip....... Be very careful when polishing near any edges of the car. That is where paint is the thinest and where you can damage the paint on the car and pad of the buffer.
Excellent advice :worship: Any info or links for Farecla? I've never heard of that and would love to get more info. Thanks!! Rob
Old 11/30/05, 07:31 PM
Retired Tms Staff

here you go

http://www.farecla.com/automotive.asp?id=6...utomotive&set=1
Old 11/30/05, 07:34 PM
Retired Tms Staff

oh and remember...... water and electricity don't mix so don't get carried away when using this method. Also it makes one heck of a mess so make sure you are wearing old clothes. Once done using the polish make sure you completely wash the car down. You don't want any polish residue left on the car when waxing or you will end up scratching the car all over again.